Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake Michigan Coho

JNRBRONC

I booked a family fishing trip with Noble Charters out of Winthrop Harbor, Il for last Friday afternoon. Capt. Florek mentioned that it was only the second day that it was calm enough to head out on the lake to fish, as there has been lots of big waves. We headed out far into the lake, as the fish were suspended over deep water (250 ft), we were fishing 8-40 foot deep. We fished for five hours and caught 17 Coho. 8 more would have been our limit for 5 people, but I was happy with the catch. We have lots of filets in the freezer. ;)

It was overcast on the Lake last Friday afternoon, water temps were around 45° and the lack of sun made things brisk. The bigger fish were in the 5-6 lb range. Captain said to come back later in the summer to catch bigger fish, but fewer. Might have to try that, but for eating, I think the smaller fish can't be beat.

You're killing me here Randy! :D I was almost going to do a Lake Michigan salmon fishing trip last Wednesday, but I had to be back in the office and so I didn't get there this time.

Nice catch! Those should provide many tasty meals too.

No way we were just up there this weekend also! Stayed at the Merry Yacht and fished on the Memory Maker with John Anderson. Our biggest was a six pound lake trout.

Nice catch. Good time up there for us also.

Last edited:
No way we were just up there this weekend also! Stayed at the Merry Yacht and fished on the Memory Maker with John Anderson. Our biggest was a six pound lake trout.

Nice catch. Good time up there for us also.

Ha ha, what are the odds??? Friday night we ate at Ashling on the Lough in Kenosha on our way to Racine.

Are you planning to start another thread or throw some pictures up here? I'd like to see them. ;)

Last edited:
Three generations of Cooters on the right.

My boy with the largest fish.

Was a good time. Talk of going back in August to try and get some kings.

Sorry for the highjack.

Sorry for the highjack.

Not a hijack when there is an invite. ;)

Nice pics. Last time we went we caught a mix of fish, which was neat.

Not sure if we will make it back this summer as we have booked a Costa Rica marlin fishing trip late August. :D

Always a fun trip. We would go up twice a year on the Kenosha side. We all have busy lives now and don't have a chance to make it up anymore.

Last edited:
Awesome day on the lake for sure!!

What part of Costa Rica are you heading too and who are you fishing with. I was there 2 years ago and for Deep Sea fishing it is the best I have ever experienced. You will love it down there!!!

Kratz

What part of Costa Rica are you heading too and who are you fishing with. I was there 2 years ago and for Deep Sea fishing it is the best I have ever experienced. You will love it down there!!!

Kratz

Headed back to Tamarindo. I took the boys during Spring Break 2015 and we went out fishing, but didn't catch any bill fish. The boat stopped at a grouper spot on the way back to the dock at the end of the day and the boys caught a dozen in a couple of minutes. The host of our Bed & Breakfast set up the boat and I used them again this time. We have booked a day on a 32" Blackfin boat, not the same Captain we used last time. August/September is supposedly better fishing. We will see.;)

Top Bottom