Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral attractant

Buckdown89

Pretty dead on here this time of year. Curious what everyone uses for mineral attractant all summer? What works best and what not to buy? What's cheapest and most effective? Thanks in advance!

Trophy rock. I slice them in half and put them on a piece of wood I slice with drainage holes works great.

I've always been under the impression there after the salt mainly . Trace minerals the 98% salt kind pour it on the ground watch it wash away and the hole start works for me .

I do agree with you but boy do I get more pics on trophy rock and the bigger bucks return a lot more than they used too.

Lucky Buck has outperformed anything I have tried, including Trophy Rock. I haven't tried any of the newer products to hit the market in the past couple years, so I cant really speak for them.

I am going to try no mineral this year. going to add a couple cams and try to inventory using travel. Going to be much tougher. In the past I have used a half trophy rock and heifer mineral, they seem to come to the rock first. Heifer mineral is cheap and just as good without the "deer" label to add the extra cost. I have also used deer cane with it and had bucks really hit that. Helps to have something a little sweet smelling it seems to start them coming. Guy that hunts the same farm used some obscure liquid he got for free and the deer really pounded that too, anymore I am not sure you could go terribly wrong.

I generally use Trophy Rocks for mineral sites with camera's. If you can spend the money I'd recommend BB2!!! It's really expensive, but the couple years I did put it out a lot I had some giants move in and stay in the area. Seemed to help a ton with antler growth in the past as well. This year I'll be avoiding minerals and using just perimeter camera's to get an idea of what's there in the summer.

Buck jam apple has out performed all products I have used. Only 5 bucks for a gallon and that will make two spots that will be hit all summer..

Ani-Logics Mineral Blocks & Mineral Dirt. Half a bag of mineral dirt on a site and a block on top. Lasts a long time and the deer love it!

"Most effective" - just for attractant, I think guys nailed it. If you at all mean "most effective" for nutrition, look for roughly 8-12% Phosphorous, 15+% Calcium, lower salt content, Molasses, Selenium and the standard other minerals that come in things like a beef mineral. I get those requirements in a few beef minerals and it's about a perfect fit for deer needs and they eat the daylights out of it. Supplements the deficiencies found in soil, plants, etc that are key and heavily needed for antler, skeletal, general health, and other needs. Kinda kills 2 birds, one stone on wanting to attract but also giving nutrition (and it's cheap!).

I use trophy rock- havent tried any of the new products- but with already getting thousands of pictures a week - no need to get anything better. would just lose money on more batteries if it gained me more pictures:)

I, like many, have tried most store bought brands including making the home brewed recipes floating around. By far my best results have been trophy rocks. I usually put a pile of corn cut with some dried molasses so they can find it, then the rock takes over.

I think Lucky Buck would be a close second as far as an attractor. I was surprised at Whitetail Institute's 30-06 mineral, it smells strong like lucky buck but the deer on my place never touched it.

I have had the most success with a trophy rock by far. It is all natural and contains the same ratio of minerals found in deer blood

I've used everything from the cheapest licks to trophy rocks. I will say that the cheap apple flavored blocks with a cheap jug of some sort of molasses out performed a straight trophy rock for me. I still ran a trophy rock site last yr but added the molasses to it as well then it was even or better. I'm getting away from mineral sites however just for some of the negativity they bring. I don't hunt really anywhere close to them but I just don't want any headaches. I've dug some up already this year and replaced the dirt.

Top Bottom