Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is your area dry??

It looks like most of the Midwest had a favorable week of rain (or are forecasted to) and corn prices are dropping like a rock. Limit down today and largest 2 day drop since August. Shaping up to be a pretty good crop for most. Hopefully you guys in SE Iowa get the moisture you need.

Last edited:
Well that's great. No we are not going to get squat. Missed us last week all up along I-80. Last night down to kirksville sw into MO. Tonight NE into I'll. Missed for the month of June. We are Toast!

Last night, I carried water to the peach trees we planted this spring, so I'm sure it will rain tonight. :D Forecast says 100% chance of rain tonight with accumulation of 0.84".

You are accurate octoberlull, We were in your position last summer. All depends where the edge of the heat dome positions itself every summer. It was farther west and south for us down here near MO last summer. Storms every other day,severe ones,,and not so hot. This year all has shifted north and east. Endless hot sunny days down here. No storms, only one thunder storm for June and that was last night. Wasn't severe either. The Ring of Fire usually rules the summers and you are close to it this year.

Timing has to do with chances for rain also. Warm fronts moving thru,,best time later at night. Cool fronts, best time after 3:pm and before late night when they usually die out. Wis-Minn have an 80% likely of more rain Sat. Because the best energy is north. Another reason so dry farther south. Jet Stream Energy, instead of gradually shifting north with the growing summer, jumped from the far south up to Canada,,bypassing most of Iowa,,except the far north and NE. There,,this mornings weather lesson!:rolleyes:

Keep dancing and hopefully it will keep raining. I have not seen the numbers, hopefully some hit the Osceola area in the past week.

I've watched "weather.com, accuweather.com & weather.gov" during growing seasons for heck, a decade or more now. I've had years where I worried about catching "xyz 50%" chance. Had a lot of money in crops and over the years I guess I pay attention or WORRY less & less. Easier said than done, especially with huge $ in inputs into ground. Seen the massive rain after rain after rain drown stuff out and I recall well the times when "heck, we haven't got a drop for 3 weeks". Gonna fluctuate and change yearly. I'd say the rarest thing is the BEST thing.... 1" per week with a day of slower rains. Just doesn't work that way. Aside from irrigation, God's weather plan just is always a mess. My suggestion- have lots of back up plans, plant early so u have failure alternatives, build your soil with cover crops (organic matter) & be prepared for flood & drought. This is yet another typical Iowa summer for me at least. Not horrible, I'll take some more rain but all good. Mediocre grain prices btw. Locked in some nice priced beans a week ago!

Since I have been in Iowa,,has been flood or drought, NO in between. Earth adapts to where it is. Wild plants and trees adapt. Count on a yearly total, not just any one season. Wild things survive. Man made stuff suffers. Not as strong as wild nature. Climate scientist I read from 20 yrs ago now,,before Global Warming-Climate Change, said earth was heading into extremes as far as weather world wide. I believe he was right on. I know has been extremes forever, but he said this would be above average tough. Think he was right.As a general rule though,,,,Each Summer active part of the jet stream move north. Heat builds up to the south. Heat domes dominate the south with little active weather or sporadic rains. More consistent rain and storms move north twards Canadian Border. Some years the jets linger around Iowa-Southern Iowa,,like last Summer. This year when June began Active Jet raced right up to Minn and Wis, and is diving across the Eastern Half of the US. Iowa is being dominated by hot high pressure. You don't get much water otta hot High Pressure. Typically this pattern comes later in July and Aug to Iowa. We are either in for a long lot more of this,,or if the jet stream dips twards us,,relief! But that typically does not happen until late fall.

For any that may keep reading this rather repetitive, lengthy, bunch of posts,,The National Weather Service says a Major pattern change is in the offing for the next 7 to 10 days.Starting next week The heat dome will retreat to the west and south. That would seem a good thing. Not exactly. This will take the ole Ring of Fire and its attendant rain chances with it to the west and south away from Iowa. In the transition a cool front will usher in the change, but its energy will be in Canada. Kept there by the same heat dome...

Figure no one is reading this but Weather Service has updated our unusually dry to now a Moderate Drought for SE Iowa. The unusually dry areas have expanded across southern Iowa. Gettin serious now folks.

They say that this weather pattern follows the el neno , el chapo, el mcPhearson or which ever one it is. High pressure is definitely the problem

Well, if you want to keep this going,,Yes I have heard this Elnino-Laninia, stuff. Condition of Ocean temps. All I watch for is where the Big Heat Dome positions itself every Summer. Definitely not in a favorable position for us this year. Too close,,or then too far away....

Doing real good in north central/ne part of the state. You can even have some of what we keep getting up here.

.1" west of Pella today - less than 1" rain for the entire month of June - twice or three times that much a few miles away but not at my place -not good at all for the crops

Trying to have a culvert put in, keeps getting delayed by rain. First, it was too wet for the semi to deliver it, finally dried up enough for it to arrive, then yesterday's install was canceled on account of rain. :(

I'll take the rain over drought though. ;)

Top Bottom