Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too late for brassica mix?

madplotter

PMA Member
If I plant tomorrow, think they will be ok? Got behind and would like to get some in with my great corn stand. Or maybe a stand alone plot.

I personally think its to late. I'm sure you'd get some green tops up but I wouldn't think you'd get much at all for bulbs. If its an option I think you still have time to plant something like the Dbltree mix of rye, oats, radish, peas and clover. I've always had great luck with this fall mix. Being you've already got corn to feed deer into late season I think it would be a deadly combination

I have planted brassicas right around, or slightly after, Labor Day a few times. If you don't get rain on them right away, then it will likely be a puny plot..or even a bust. However, if you get some good rain on them soon after planting then you can get a fair to good stand. So while it is late, it can still work...but you have to get rain and your turnips will not likely get very big. Also, don't skimp on the N, you will need it more than normal.

Radishes can get decent sized bulbs and in my mind deer prefer radish tops to turnip tops and you can definitely still get the above ground tops to grow fair. I would go with more radishes than normal if you are this late. FWIW, for a variety of reasons, I did not get my brassicas in until last weekend, but I was pleased to see very good germination this weekend. Now a few more good rains and I should have a pretty decent crop I think.

I think it's definitely to late. I'd shoot for mid- July next year. I have always done this and have had great success. This time of year I'd do what above poster mentioned. Do a rye/oats mix.

Too late in my experience, we actually are going earlier every year. We went mid July and caught a good rain, had some wash out and just kept raking and seeding bare spots. Last we threw in was two weeks ago maybe but what a ideal summer. Our plots look as good as they ever have!

My wife's talking wild flowers now so maybe frost seed them and hope for a good spring. Not sure yet, still reading up on them.

I planted an acre of brassicas on Sunday. Got a nice .8" of rain yesterday that should get things jump started. I emailed the team at both Welter Seed and Ampac Seed who sells the brassicas mix and they both said to have them in the ground no later than Sept. 14th. I may not get the super large bulb development but I think they will develop enough to entice some late season activity. If ya got the seed already, I'd get it in the dirt and fertilize! Good luck.

Labor Day planting

I was way too busy this year too. I spent the entire Labor Day weekend playing catch up on food plots at the farm. I got 1/2 acre of Paul's rye mix in and about 1/3 acre of turnips in. I went with a bag of IW Tall Tine Tubers because it was quick. My wife and I finished cultipacking the turnips on Monday night at 9:30 pm. We got 2" of rain on wednesday. This plot is in a transmission right of way in the timber and the ground is rich and moist. I limed (pelletized), fertilized with 6-28-28 and 40-0-0. I was there yesterday and there were seedlings popping up all over. I'll try to post some pics here and update as the season goes along to show how big they get. I plan to hit them with more N when the have some decent growth.

Last edited:
I had some leftover brassicas that I wanted to put into standing corn. Since i got the corn in late, I didn't get the brassicas in until Saturday. Late or not, I had the seed so why not.

Just an FYI in terms of timing of brassicas...I was running behind this year on the food plots and did not plant brassicas until Aug. 27th. They have caught at least a couple nice rains since then too. I checked on all of the plots this past Saturday, 9/10, and was very pleased to see excellent germination on all of them.

I know I will not see giant turnip bulbs, etc, but I am sure that many deer will get many meals from those plots this fall.

This makes me feel better. I was unable to find the time to get the ground bush hogged, sprayed, worked, and seeded so when I got laid off on August 29, I took the rings off the cylinder and bush hogged to the dirt then broadcast turnips the next evening. Caught one nice rain and several heavy dews and they have germinated very well. As Daver said, probably won't win any big turnip ribbons but being in a low spot I think they will finish out fine.

Top Bottom