Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Binocular Opinions

b0huntr147

I am looking at getting a new set of binoculars this year for hunting. I am wondering what power you guys would recommend. I do mainly Midwest whitetail and turkey hunting but I would also be using them for waterfowl as well.

I have heard many different opinions on what is best between the 8x42, 10x42, and the 12x50. Most spots that I hunt the maximum sight distance is around 300 yards but much less when i hunt in the timber.

Let me know what you guys like to use, it would be nice to hear some more opinions.

8x or 10 x are both fine and comes down to preference. If I went out west more I would have gone 10x, but mostly use them for bow hunting so bought 8x. 12x50 is way to big to carry around and hard to hold still. I have a set of them in my truck for field spotting and usually rest them on the window to get a good look. You will get a lot of opinions on brand too. if $ is no object Leica, Swarovski, etc. are great. Since I can't spend that much, I go for Nikon Monarch. Vortex is very comparable to Nikon price and quality. I spent 2 weeks in Africa this summer and between hunters and guides there were 8 sets of binos in heavy use all the time. I checked everybody's. The Nikons were only ever so slightly less clear than the top end brands and a little better than the Vortex in my opinion. Many will disagree and they like Vortex better. Unless you make a living with your binos I cant see going wrong with a Nikon/Vortex or comparable "mid range" bino. I was checking all these brands out side by side multiple times in the field, not 2 minutes in a store and it was not easy to see the difference between Nikon Monarch and brands that cost multiple times more. Please don't take this as my brand is the best because that is what you usually get on forums. The high end ones are better, just not near enough for my taste versus budget.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Vortex Diamondbacks and the new Cabelas Instincts. I plan to head down there this evening and take a look at them both.

I've had the diamondbacks in 10X42 for a few years now, they work good for me in northern mo and out west. At your 300 yards or less I would suggest the 8X42 for a better field of view at closer ranges. That's the one thing about the 10X especially bow hunting, not a great FoV at close range.

The no fault warranty is nice and I believe they forced other manufacturers to follow suit.

I have an older pair of vortex typhoons 10x26 (not produced anymore). For a small compact that I beat the crap out of wearing around my neck, they are fantastic! Vortex's warranty if phenomenal as well. I've sent the binos in a few years back because an eye piece was coming loose and was making double vision. All I did was pay the shipping to them, they fixed them and sent them back to me, not one question was asked. As for power and objective, I wouldn't mind going to a 42mm objective, the 26 can be a little small. I wouldn't drop back down below a 10 power. I've had 8x before and it just wasn't enough in a lot of situations.

I have had my Kahles 10x42s for maybe 15yrs...... had them rebuilt last year. Cost me 200$ and they are brand new again. Basically just paid for new lenses because they had them apart for warranty work on the focus. I love them.

Diamond back 10x42s . I don't think I'd be able to hold the 12 power ones still enough. I can barely hold the 10 powers still enough ha .

I have been looking at the Vortex Diamondbacks and the new Cabelas Instincts. I plan to head down there this evening and take a look at them both.

I have the Vortex DB 8 x 42. Got them cheap because they redid them for this year. I'm very happy with them. For what I could find they had the widest field.of view in their class. Thats why i bpught them. For finding animals moving through cover. They gather light well. I'd be happy with them if I paid full price.

I would go 8x42, very nice for our type of hunting and when we have been out west turkey hunting they have worked great

Kratz

I've got the 12x50s. They were on sale and I needed a pair for scouting, predator hunting, and waterfowling. They aren't the best for in the timber but they work.

I have 10x42's but I looked through some 10x50's, I put them in a harness anyways so being as bulky isn't quite the issue for me as maybe some people it is. It was splitting hairs as far as SIZE goes, I'd pry still stick with my 10x42's even though little more light with 10x50's.
The 10x42's are Swarovski EL's with Swarovision & the Vortex were I believe a Viper or something. Yes, swaro's are my fav but it was my wedding present to myself so I didn't care, use em forever as long as I don't lose em ;) So amazing to look through. I think Vortex makes a really nice product though. yes, I'm dumb paying for Swaro's & then I get made fun of for wearing 10 year old Carhartts and boots that are falling apart & t-shirts with 40 holes in them :)

I am not sure what is needed for waterfowl as I don't do much of that but sounds like your needs are mostly close range 8x35 would work. Buy the best you can, I bought a pair of 10x 42 Swaros when I couldn't afford it but one of the best investments I ever made. They have been rebuilt 3 times at a very small cost each time I have hunted with them about 150 days a year and couldn't imagine being without them.

Also I would not consider anything larger than 10x42 for wearing around your neck and freehand glassing. I have a set of 15x56swaros and they are tripod only

Thanks for all the opinions guys, I went to Cabela's to check out some options last night and I found a pair of Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x42 that was on sale for half off. I looked through those and the Vortex Diamond backs and the only difference I could tell was the Leupold's gathered alot more light and were much brighter. I'll be testing them out this weekend with the duck and goose opener here in Nebraska this weekend.

Vortex 10 x 50 Diamondback - using them as we speak on this nice cool morning! Can't go wrong, been a Nikon man myself for years but I love the glass in these things! Price was right too man!

Top Bottom