Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rubbing Tree

BDAHMS

Be here Now
went out today and decided in one of my plots that wasnt looking too hot but was getting a lot of bucks passing through- I would create a "rubbing tree" so I cut down a young tree- trimmed the lower branches- dug with a post hole digger around 4 ft deep and put the tree there. I also hung a scent wick (denvers deer scent caterpillar) and created a mock scrape below one of the branches. excited to see if this thing gets shredded like I expect it too

14495308_986885572004_2124289677130498740_n.jpg

14606274_986885586974_8389806992553545334_n.jpg

14485084_986885621904_2213681684341102312_n.jpg

14595791_986885666814_502267946164401326_n.jpg

14495525_986873186824_7587312756796492366_n.jpg

14573044_986873201794_907809884513289172_n.jpg

I put one in a clover plot about a month ago. The tree is dead but I hung some vines in it and the does are using them as a licking branch a ton. Just yesterday I checked the card and got a decent buck rubbing the tree.

I think I may try this too this year, seems like these always get a lot action. 6x6 use to have some sweet threads on this!

I cut down some 15 ft willows out of ditch. About 2 inches around. Put them a couple feet in. Next day they were tore up and knocked over. They are 4 ft deep now and seeing good use.

I cut down some 15 ft willows out of ditch. About 2 inches around. Put them a couple feet in. Next day they were tore up and knocked over. They are 4 ft deep now and seeing good use.

This tree is around 4" at the base and about 3" at rubbing area But I went 4' deep as well- these certainly get hit hard once they realize a new tree is there I also put other buck scent on the tree as well to jump start things

I have done this. Willow is best. Hard part is getting them in deep enough. Ground too dry,,for post hole digger,,least in my area. I have used metal pipe and pound hole down in with sledge. Last yr pounded steel fece post down and wired tree to it.

I was able to use a 5 foot pry bar that was pointed on one end. Just jammed it in the ground over and over and wiggled it around to make a good tight fit. But the ground was pretty moist when I put mine in. I doubt that would work too well in a dry spot.

I went down about 3.5-4ft (as far as the post hole digger would go) and it went smooth Soft ground. That tree will not get pushed over

I have done this. Willow is best. Hard part is getting them in deep enough. Ground too dry,,for post hole digger,,least in my area. I have used metal pipe and pound hole down in with sledge. Last yr pounded steel fece post down and wired tree to it.
I don't think I've met a more negative person than you.... So many members on here would be blessed and fortunate to own their own piece of heaven...

Last edited:
Not negative,,just curious. Hunting is not actually a big deal with me. Gets harder to even go every year. Tired of killing. Only empty freezer finally gets me out in the mornings. Have enjoyed what I have,,but seriously think of a change,,so property may be for sale some day. Wettest year for some..Not for my area,,State Climatologist admitted to me SE Iowa is just prone to being dry,,but when in a wet pattern can get really wet ! So some of you may be able to bid on my property some day?

Not negative,,just curious. Hunting is not actually a big deal with me. Gets harder to even go every year. Tired of killing. Only empty freezer finally gets me out in the mornings. Have enjoyed what I have,,but seriously think of a change,,so property may be for sale some day. Wettest year for some..Not for my area,,State Climatologist admitted to me SE Iowa is just prone to being dry,,but when in a wet pattern can get really wet ! So some of you may be able to bid on my property some day?

It seems like it's a "big deal" with the amount of complaining you do...

No big deal,,just a fact. In fact I have some willow I expect to take down to my property Friday. I know I will not be able to dig ground. Will use a pipe and sledge to pound a hole. I know for most of Iowa it seems ridiculous to keep talking about dry conditions,,but if you check, Ottumwa area has an 8 inch deficit for the year. A small area but still an area down there remains on the National Weather Service Drought Monitor Map. Just a fact.

We are very dry as well, about 20 miles from you. Last week we got lucky and got .6" but we just have not been getting any solid rain this year. We have enough to keep rolling but the real issue will be next year with the subsoil deficiency.

Well, Glad it is not just me..I knew there had to be others out there. I travel back and forth from North of DeMoines. A different world once ya get near I-80. Even standing water in fields.! For some unknown reason rain coming across Western Iowa wants to die as it approaches the SE. Now around Keokuk and Burlington, it picks up again.My rain gage did quite well while I was gone but Sept was so dry you can hardly tell it rained.

what am I missing here? why are breiner and especially bone slayer being such dicks in this thread???

haha- im literally laughing at my computer right now- haven't checked my thread for a while- comedy side note- when I pulled the card- the tree has been getting a lot of activity- unfortunately I hit delete all on pictures on that card sooooooo.......will have to wait until next pull

Top Bottom