Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Capping a Deer

TimmyD525

PMA Member
Hey guys I just shot a deer last night I want to get mounted. I'm going to process the deer but I need to take it somewhere to get capped before the taxidermy. Anywhere around Des Moines that does this??
Thanks for the help

Congrats! Call taxidermists in the area. Also call Matt at Matts skull cleaning as he might do this.

Your taxidermist will cape out the head. Just keep it cold or frozen until you get it to him/her, preferably today. If you're wanting to know how to skin out the front shoulders and neck, there are lots of instructions available online. Or, better yet call your taxi for instructions on how they prefer to have it done. Congrats on the kill!

Rule Number 1 - Always leave more cape than you think your taxidermist could ever need! Lots of the forms on the market show a lot more shoulder, brisket and even back line for the pedistals than you think. I would rather cut the excess off later than to wonder how to make something work on a short cape.

Top Bottom