Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Attaching a Motor to a DSD Jake

Ishi

PMA Member
Last year there was discussion on how to attach a motor to a DSD Jake. This is how I attached mine.

I would like to say this probably isn't the only way to attach it but this is how I did it with minimal work.
When I received the motor from Bass Pro there was no way to switch the rods around cause the top rod is the one that turns. The bottom attachment was cut and welded to make a pitch fork which screws into the motor and into the ground.
I ordered the threaded rod and coupling nuts from McMaster-Carr.com
Here are the part I used
1. 4 - 1/4 nuts 28 fine thread. These can be purchased at your local hardware store.
2. Coupling nuts 1/2 long 28 thread 3/8 outside diameter. Part# 90268A325 order a dozen
3. 12 inch 1/4 28 threaded rod part# 90322A665. Order at least three cause your friends will want to do theirs:)
IMG_0163.JPGIMG_0164.JPG

After the rod was attached to the motor I put a coupling nut at the top of the threaded rod to support the DSD. After that just wrap enough black electrical tape on both coupling nuts to make a snug fit so the decoy will turn.
Here is a short video of the decoy in action from last season.

Last edited:
Nice job, I cut down the factory rod and wrapped electrical tape around it till if it snug in the mold hole on the bottom of the dsd. Then wrapped more tape around the stake adhering it to the outside of the mold hole wall. Essentially the stake stays in the decoy at all times and I remove the motor. May have to look into this for a more permanent fix. Thanks for sharing.

I don't want to hijack your post but I have seen posts about motorized decoys for turkey hunting the last several years and have wondered if it is legal to use these? I guess I haven't ask the local DNR officer, but it sounds like many folks are using them. Would be great tool to have. Is this a gray area?

I don't want to hijack your post but I have seen posts about motorized decoys for turkey hunting the last several years and have wondered if it is legal to use these? I guess I haven't ask the local DNR officer, but it sounds like many folks are using them. Would be great tool to have. Is this a gray area?

Not gray in my mind. No different than "Robo-Ducks" or "Robo-Doves" & even the feds are OK with them.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…

It is a great tool!! I found this in the Regs. If you find something different let me know. Thanks

Live animals may not be used as decoys for any type of hunting. A “decoy” is a likeness
of a bird or animal used to lure game within shooting range.

Top Bottom