Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crappie & Bluegill Limits

I too would disagree with the idea that slot limits haven't helped Minnesota lakes. Limb mentioned Leech, and I can also personally speak for Winnie and Rainy. Absolutely AMAZING fisheries, and every local/guide/resort owner we visited with gave credit, at least in part, to the protected slot. I have never fished another lake where you can catch a dozen or more 20-25 inch fish a day and still have no trouble coming up with a limit between 16 and 17 inches. I'm not sure about the rest of the state, but here in NW Iowa a more conservative slot (17-22) has recently been imposed on some area lakes and we can already see a significant improvement in the quality of fish we boat. Yes, we have lakes that are only a short distance apart with different regulations, but it really isn't a big deal to take a few minutes to learn the specific regulations of a body of water you plan to fish. There's a reason we all head north when we really want to get into some good fishing :)

NWBuck

I think maybe you are missing my point. What I said was that I have never known a slot to improve a fishery. At least that was what I was trying to say. That goes for Winnie, Leech, and especially Mille Lacs where the slot has been a disaster but it's court ordered there.

You could always catch those 16 and 17 inchers to eat on Winnie and Rainy. And you could eat a couple 18 and 19 inchers too if you wanted. There aren't more fish... in fact probably fewer, just the average size structure might be a little bigger, but is it really biologically responsible to be releasing fish you know are going to die? Wouldn't it be better to be able to keep an 18 inch fish that was deep hooked rather than have to dump it back intot he water, which is actually state mandated wanton waste. That's at the core of why I don't like slots. I have seen slot limits slightly increase the average size structure of fisheries over the long haul and that seems like a good thing until you really look at it. That's a lot different than improving the fishery.

Mille Lacs is a good example. Walleyes are in the slot and protected... they are not harvested so large numbers of fish of a particular size demolish the forage base for that size fish. Fishing is fantastic because the fish are starving. The call it the bite of the century and everyone is having fun catching and releasing malnutritioned fish, many of which die from the huge stress of being caught in their weakened state. Then they die off and fishing is crummy as the forage rebuilds, until the next big year class gets into the slot and then they wipe out the forage again. In the meantime, you can hardly find any fish the right size to take home and eat. But you can catch and discard (discarding is different than releasing/selectively harvesting) fish too big all day long.

It really doesn't seeem like proper stewarship of our natural resources to me. But that's me. Maybe others feel that it's okay to exploit these fisheries without regard to their long-term health.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think maybe you are missing my point. </div></div>

I was missing the main point you were trying to make. I am only familiar with Leech and Winnie. But I now see your point.

Some of you guys were saying its a good thing because no one could possibly catch and eat 20 fish per day x 7 days a week. Well with the gas prices and everything being so expensive, wouldnt it be better to go out and catch 50-75 in a day and be able to have a big cookout, or a couple meals. Instead of having to make the trip 3 times? Not trying to start any arguements. Just another point of view. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I just see it being a good thing for certain lakes and bad for others. Either way, i'll live. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'd rather catch a 10lb carp than 25 crappies / bluegills anyday.. so I could care less what they do but I do believe limits are for the most part, good.. Just look at our deer herd /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

All i gotta do to get 10 lb. carp is idle around the dam and i can get as many as i want to jump in my boat. Crappie are much more challenging and maaaaaaaaan do they taste good. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Although i cant lie, buffalo carp and a cold beer is hard to beat.

hoofline.gif

From the Iowa DNR:

DNR Seeks Public Comment on Proposed Daily Panfish Bag Limit

DES MOINES - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources has scheduled five public meetings to discuss, and accept comments on, a proposed statewide daily bag limit on bluegills and crappies in public waters.

The proposed amendments to the fishing regulations would establish a 25 fish bag limit individually for both bluegills and crappies in public waters of the state. There is no possession limit.

This daily bag limit would align with the limit in place for five years on the Mississippi River.

The public meetings are scheduled for 7 p.m., Sept. 30, at the Senior Citizen Center, 411 Walnut Street., in Atlantic; 7 p.m., Oct. 1, at Hartman Reserve Nature Center, 657 Reserve Drive, in Cedar Falls; 7 p.m., Oct. 2, at the Dickinson County Community Building, 1602 15th Street, in Spirit Lake; 3 p.m., Oct. 3, in the fourth floor conference room, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th St., in Des Moines; and 7 p.m., Oct. 9, at Pioneer Ridge Nature Center, 1339 U.S. Hwy. 63, Bloomfield.

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendments on or before Oct. 10, 2008. Such written materials should be directed to Marion Conover, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, 502 E. 9th St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0034; or by fax at 515-281-6794 or e-mail at marion.conover@dnr.iowa.gov.

Persons who which to convey their views orally should contact the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Bureau at 515-281-5208 or at the fisheries offices on the fourth floor of the Wallace State Office Building.

hoofline.gif

Your really making me nervous with this Buffalo eating thin dude... I just cant bring myself to try one. ...... Anyway Im ready to snag some spoons, Is '09 yet /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

im all for it! but seriously what is someone going to do with 25 gills and 25 crappies a day? i highly doubt ANYONE will eat that much fish! so it is more of an ethical thing if you ask me. i also feel any population of any animal can be decimated. just look at the buffalo population 150 years ago! not that gills can compare to tatonkas, but id say a limit on panfish is a good thing, especially Perch!
My whole childhood our family vacation was about fishing. And sometimes dad would come home from work and say lets go fishing. We kept a lot of fish in the freezer, we would have a block party and big fish fry with all our neighbors. We never had a problem of using all the fish we caught. But we didn't fish everyday and take home our limits every time. And we would only keep fish that were of eating size, it was a waste to take home small fish. My mom made the best batter for pan fish and would stuff myself. But I agree, nobody is going to take home 50 crappies and bluegills everyday. And if you know of such a place let me know, and I would take home 10 to 15 once a week and I would be happy as hell.

Top Bottom