Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Pontier Buck

Monsterbuck

Just got an issue of The Iowa Sportsman in the mail and saw an article about this buck. Shot on Nov 5, 2016 and scores 202 3/8". What I can't figure out is the caption says it is the largest typical ever taken with a crossbow in Iowa.

Did I miss something? When did crossbows become legal in Iowa? November 5th so general archery season would be the only deer season open in Iowa and this was taken by a college student and college wrestler so age or handicap limits wouldn't apply.

Just a little confused by the story, can anyone explain?

Ive heard, and I know people on the site know more... but he had surgery on the shoulder and had a valid permit.

Both physical disabilities and age (over 70 I think) make one eligible to get a permit to use crossbow during archery seasons.

I had a buddy that had injured his shoulder before bow season, and was able to get a note from his doctor to obtain a permit to use a crossbow that season.

• Deleted by BDAHMS
Show…
Well according to the article he was actively participating in wrestling at the time. I guess I don't know the wording on the form and assume there are doctors that will sign anything but it seems like a loophole that people are taking advantage of.

Well according to the article he was actively participating in wrestling at the time. I guess I don't know the wording on the form and assume there are doctors that will sign anything but it seems like a loophole that people are taking advantage of.

Aren't we all on the same team????? I think it's a fair question/concern but all it does is drive a stake into the hunting community. It's no wonder we got 1/3 of the posts we used to....

I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and pulling my bow back actually causes discomfort- and my doctor also said he would sign off on a crossbow. I personally dont have any desire to use one- but also dont fault anyone who does. My shoulders are horrible but I can still do daily activities including work out or play sports. So just because he was wrestling doesnt mean he shouldnt use a crossbow or had a loophole- kid shot a stud buck- lifetime buck- happened to be with a crossbow..........good for him

I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and pulling my bow back actually causes discomfort- and my doctor also said he would sign off on a crossbow. I personally dont have any desire to use one- but also dont fault anyone who does. My shoulders are horrible but I can still do daily activities including work out or play sports. So just because he was wrestling doesnt mean he shouldnt use a crossbow or had a loophole- kid shot a stud buck- lifetime buck- happened to be with a crossbow..........good for him

I can get a crossbow permit anytime I want too. I don't fault injured for doing so. My shoulder has "some issues" & my wrist was shattered when fell while hanging stand. I'd be a lifer permit for crossbow if I wanted. I simply choose not to but don't fault anyone who decides differently. I shattered my wrist in late July and it was "stupid" but I even used my bow that fall even though it hurt. Injured - have at it.
*yes, I'm sure like anything - some take advantage of it but we don't know the situation with this hunter so I Don't think anyone has any reason to say otherwise - he very well could have shoulder issues and dr letter to get permit. Not for me to comment on that aspect at least as I know zero details about the situation or hunter. Heck of a buck is only thing that comes to my mind.

I have to admit that I had the same question in mind when I read the article but I just figured since he pointed it out he must have had a good reason for using the crossbow. Heck of a buck no matter how it was taken.

I won't comment on the hunter in this thread since I have no knowledge of him or his situation. However, I would believe that some people are taking advantage of it, at least in what my opinion on what taking advantage of it means. A few years ago I had shoulder issues to the point that it hurt to draw my bow. Started in late summer while target shooting. Then in the first few hunts that fall I could not draw my bow back at all, like my shoulder would not allow me to draw with any weight (bow was set around 60 lbs and backed it off as much as I could; didn't try any lesser weights). I could still move my arm/shoulder, but even raising my arm without any additional weight 90 degrees from my body was very painful. Decided to have it looked at and took a crossbow form with me to the doctor thinking I would at least put in for a permit. My shoulder had somewhat started to feel better by the time I went to the doctor, and since I could move it, the doctor would not sign the form due to not being what they called disabled. Sent me to physical therapy, which helped greatly and I could then start drawing my bow back again. Started to have the same issue this last summer/fall with the other shoulder, but I immediately started doing the same physical therapy exercises on it and came out of it. At the time, I didn't necessarily want to use a crossbow. I just wanted to be able to shoot a deer if the opportunity came. Not sure if the adrenaline rush would have let me draw back that year if the opportunity arose or not.

Top Bottom