Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late born fawn

Rut Nut

RUT_NUT
I wonder when this fawn was born.
PICT0160.jpg

Wow, I remember seeing a fawn once that had very feint spots in November/December, but nothing like that one!! That one looks like it was born in August or September...or maybe it is some sort of mutant that was born, but has not grown at a normal pace. Your timber looks like it is nice and thick...good cover.

I was told by a biologist that most are born very close to same time and these are just yearlings that still have their spotted coat and it will shed out

This deer's coat should have faded out with it's winter coat. Its a very late born fawn. I have a big old nanny doe here that has triplets every year the end of June. The fawn's coat from her are still faded by Nov.

Its definitely late born I have a picture from Aug or Sept where it shows it looks like just born but I haven't found the pic yet.

Fawns born to yearling does (last years fawns) are almost always late. Certainly looks to be the case in this instance if that doe is the fawns dam.

Fawns born to yearling does (last years fawns) are almost always late. Certainly looks to be the case in this instance if that doe is the fawns dam.

Happens every year, had one on the farm I hunt in Pa that was born in late August or early September a few years ago. The fawn didn't make it past the first heavy snow fall which was late October that year. Found it after the snow melted and it couldn't have weighed more than 20 lbs.

Ishi maybe correct. Has to be at least 7 months old in that last pic. Can you tell if it is a buck yet

Top Bottom