Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Replant beans or not?

EatSleepHunt

Need some opinions. I planted some soybeans about 3-4 weeks ago. We received a little rain, enough to get seeds popping. Then extremely dry for 3 weeks. So this soybean plot is a bust.
Should I replant or wait to plant some rye or brassicas? This is in Western Iowa, Harrison county. Had a decent rain Saturday, looking like some more coming soon.
Thanks in advance

Replant. Beans for deer will have plenty of growing time if u planted right now. It's "late" but that's mainly talking about "Ag yields". For deer plot- no problem if u planted right now. Late but still produce.

We planted a 3 acre bean plot last year on the morning of the the 4th of July. It was a really low area that had been extremely wet all spring and we just couldn't get into it much sooner. They were short, matured about the same time as other bean plots, and if I had to guess, maybe made 10-15 bu/acre. I'd replant...at least part of it, and maybe save another part for brassicas. Good luck.

NWBuck

We planted a 3 acre bean plot last year on the morning of the the 4th of July. It was a really low area that had been extremely wet all spring and we just couldn't get into it much sooner. They were short, matured about the same time as other bean plots, and if I had to guess, maybe made 10-15 bu/acre. I'd replant...at least part of it, and maybe save another part for brassicas. Good luck.

NWBuck

One of my all time most productive and favorite deer hunts occurred many years ago now during the October muzzleloader season. I was nestled in between big round bales of hay overlooking a bean field that had been replanted on July 4th of that year due to washout, etc. That still green field had deer pouring into it from all around. It looked like an ant farm...only Mr. Big was just smart enough to stay back in the dark timber until it was a few minutes past legal shooting light. Aarrgghhh!

I still remember his huge and very white rack bobbing through the beans and approaching darkness about 50 yards from me. He never knew I was there! :)

The moral of the story...a late bean field can be dynamite in October!

Bean failure this late is due to 1) plots being too small and grazed as the most tender food source. 2) I was gonna say drought BUT.... nah- beans can still produce even 10-20 in the worst case unless, again, they are in too small a plot and get eaten down.
If big enough area- catch these rains, proper weed control & good fertility- no prob. If too small and pounded- keep em clean and plant brassicas or winter mix.

When would be too late to try beans for a green plot in October? Guessing already past that time.

I recently had a conversation with a very knowledgeable person on this subject, Aaron Palm at Iowa-Missouri Hybrids in Keosauqua, and I believe he said the latest date that he would be comfortable with was July 8th...which of course we are past that now. Also, planting that late REQUIRES some timely rains, something that has been very hit or miss in SE Iowa this year.

Thanks! Figured would really depend on timing/amount of rains. More for future reference as I don't have any plans to plant any this year.

Too late for a "crop" of beans but as a "green plot" it might work if you get some timely moisture... The Dbltree schedule plants forage peas in late August. Can't imagine soybeans wouldn't make a green attractant much the same. If you've got the beans & equipment, I would give it a shot. and hope for rain. Good luck.

Too late for a "crop" of beans but as a "green plot" it might work if you get some timely moisture... The Dbltree schedule plants forage peas in late August. Can't imagine soybeans wouldn't make a green attractant much the same. If you've got the beans & equipment, I would give it a shot. and hope for rain. Good luck.

Good point. ^^ I have planted peas several times in August'ish and they are always very popular with the deer herd and never get close to maturity. When consumed, most are just the young stalks/stems that are 4"-10" tall. They never get to pod stage, so I suspect that you could plant soybeans at a similar time and get some good action on the young stems...you just would never have a chance of getting the plant to produce a bean pod...both due to seasonal issues and consumption by the deer.

I wonder if a young bean plant is effectively any different for a deer to consume than a young pea plant?? Maybe I will plant a few "late, late" beans and see what happens this year. :)

Top Bottom