Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail camera for security

isu22andy

Have a problem with some stuff disappearing around our family farm . Was wondering if anyone's hid a trail camera in a bird house or something to catch potentional theives . I fear out in the open or up high would get a bullet in it . Would be a Moultrie trace with adjustable times as to not get us going in and out all the time . Ideas ?

Sounds like a good idea! If that doesn't work, I think you'd be surprised what people won't notice if you set them in the shadows and conceal them with foliage. I've hid a couple in deadfalls or used a big chunk of deadfall tree bark to hide them before with great luck. Hope you catch the jackwagons.

100% works. Camo them up. Use Climbing sticks, ladder, whatever. I use natural stuff to put on cam and around it and around straps and can buy cambush that u can glue on that looks great. Hides it. Put a 1-3 min delay on for example (depends on situation), lithiums and 32 GB card- either do triple burst or video. Works amazing. If u do it- u will nail them.

Its up, hidden in a stack of seed pallets pointed at the shop door. No one lives at the "shop" so itll be interesting to see the vehicles that swing in to come shopping.

have any tree cameras that don't work or you don't care about? Hang those in the open. It is a good deterrent when someone sees that. Makes them think about just how many you have scattered around the property. Kept my dad's wood thief away anyways.

have any tree cameras that don't work or you don't care about? Hang those in the open. It is a good deterrent when someone sees that. Makes them think about just how many you have scattered around the property. Kept my dad's wood thief away anyways.

I save old, non-working cams for just such a purpose. ^^ Unfortunately, I never seem to run out of old, non-working cams! :)

I'm using a couple in this fashion. Set to photo and at night, the head and tail lights tend to throw off the exposure so license plates can not be read. Maybe on video they would calm down and compensate, haven't tried that yet. I get the make of the vehicle, just not a positive ID. FYI.

We have an insurance agency in MN, and had a number of thefts in the county on abandoned farm houses, buildings etc.. One of my clients was owner of a building site that had been hit once already, (they) put a trail camera at an angle where they could get the license plate number coming down the driveway. It worked and they cracked the case, turns out the thief had nailed a number of locations, he is now in jail for theft and drugs (meth).

IMG_5752.jpg

Smile for the camera dbag , got your plate and the sherrif has been notified!!!!

Last edited:
Crazy turn of events on this , truck plate came back to a business that has gone under . Business owner lives 45 minutes away . I was talking with a buddy who knew the old business owner and called him up . He stated the truck had been stolen ! As I'm on the phone with my buddy , the truck drives by me in town , I hammer down and get behind him and follow him to the Walmart .

I watch him go in quick look for my stolen goods in the back of the truck , no dice , run inside hide a few rows over and then text the scherriff a few pics of the truck and the perpetrator. They were 5 minutes late getting there . We have a name and know where they live now however, and it's within 3 miles of the farm .

And hes in jail, they interogatted the hell out of him and confessed to stealing our property. We got it back and are waiting and pondering on pressing charges, is the possible retaliation worth it ? Only stole probably 200 dollars worth of a goods, a 33 cent bullet in a cow from 300 yards away is 1500 + !

Failure to stand up for what's right only serves to encourage those that do wrong. Is he not also up for car (pickup) theft? He should end up with a felony and just possession of a rifle to shoot your cow hopefully earns him more time than it's worth for a little revenge. Press charges or you're encouraging that behavior!!!

I never use the straps provided with the cameras. They are way to easy to see. I use bailing wire to hang cams and they are much less visible.

Amazes me people attempt to steal this day and age with all the security systems/cams that are out there now. Really shocks me he continued to drive the truck so long after stealing it and with the owners plates still on. Seems to me most of the thefts I hear about are by meth heads which probably explains it.

Top Bottom