Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Layoffs

Wouldn't prices be higher in Iowa than say Wisconsin, Eastern Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois if so many NR were driving up prices?? I have been watching the market since 1999--every week---up until the past year or so, Southern Iowa was much cheaper than the surrounding states (minus Missouri). Right now it is similar to all the surrounding states.

One of the reasons NR bought here over the years was because the price was lower, and the income from cash rent and CRP was potentially higher than other states. I know several site members--including myself that have bought farms for $2000/acre or slightly higher--even just a few years ago.

Some of the land you can buy in Warren County at 3000-4000 acre is unbelievable. That same land in another state, say MN, within 30 miles of the metro or Rochester would be $10,000-20,000 acre.

Southern Iowa ag land has never had values that would compete with the areas you mention. Compare Northern Iowa to Southern Iowa and again you have two different worlds. I work with ag producers every day and have for over 27 years. I know what drives the land markets here. By your own admission, the land was cheaper and has now caught up to some extent. It had less to offer in the terms of agriculture. It wasn't until big antlers became a fetish for so many that our land began to become more valuable. That value is largely driven by outside investors that are only interested in the hunting. A large percentage of those buyers are non-residents. Many of whom moved here just to be able to hunt big bucks every year. I have no problem with that. If you want the rights of an Iowan, become an Iowan and enjoy. If deep pockets from out of state were allowed any preference on buck tags, our land values would rival that of all states mentioned in very short order. Good for those of us that own land. Horrible for all of our friends and neighbors that are not that fortunate. And bad for those that wish to make a living off the land. Our local economy depends on agriculture, not a few hotel stays and a few meals in local restaurants each fall. We continue to lose acres that were once used for pasture and hay to hunting. It really is not even a debate for anyone that wants to honestly access the facts and economics of the situation. You can kid yourself into believing what you want. But, the facts speak for themselves. ANY change to give NRLO's preference in drawing buck tags will hurt Iowans. There is no reason to do so, and no positive outcome to residents of Iowa. It's a selfish want, not a right or need.

Fletch--The facts are facts (look at the prices in comparison) to other states, Southern Iowa is not higher than Illinois, or SE MN, SW Wisconsin. You are not the victim of NR driving prices up any higher than other states?? Unless you "build that wall" around Iowa, you will not lower land prices, to levels below your neighboring states.

It is out of your control, and I am not sure why you would want landowners in your state to sell for lower than market??
Minnesotans do not "cry" about Iowa residents buying cabins in MN, do you know how many Iowa residents have cabins in MN, thousands!! It is nothing we can control, this is the US, you can buy anywhere.

Last edited:
Fletch--The facts are facts (look at the prices in comparison) to other states, Southern Iowa is not higher than Illinois, or SE MN, SW Wisconsin. You are not the victim of NR driving prices up any higher than other states?? Unless you "build that wall" around Iowa, you will not lower land prices, to levels below your neighboring states.

It is out of your control, and I am not sure why you would want landowners in your state to sell for lower than market??
Minnesotans do not "cry" about Iowa residents buying cabins in MN, do you know how many Iowa residents have cabins in MN, thousands!! It is nothing we can control, this is the US, you can buy anywhere.

You don't feel more NRs would be interested in buying Iowa ground if they could get a buck tag every year? You don't think the current regs deter anyone?

You slide around the point again. The facts are that the land would go up in value due to more competition if NRLO's were given any preference for hunting it. I'm not looking to lower the values, that makes no sense and I have no idea why you are putting that spin on it. NR's have driven the price of marginal pasture and hay ground and all timber ground way up. No way to argue otherwise. Ask any realtor that is honest. They love selling ground to NR's and most of them would love to see NRLO's get some concessions on tags. For good reason. 1.)Financial.

Iowan's with cabins in Minnesota get no concession on fishing license or possession limits. Do you know how many acres of Iowa hunting land are owned by NR's, thousands! Again, you deflect with something that has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand. Your argument is circular. Your wishful thinking would hurt Iowans. Period.

You don't feel more NRs would be interested in buying Iowa ground if they could get a buck tag every year? You don't think the current regs deter anyone?

He knows it full well. He simply wants to deflect and ignore the facts at hand. Selfish wants make for poor arguments.

Fletch-- NR have driven the price of marginal ground way up??

Compared to what state? Name a bordering state where Iowa has significantly higher land prices....not including good flat Iowa corn ground.

Another thing to consider on the "hard working" side of things. Not everyone is as fortunate to have parents that teach them to work hard. No matter how successful ppl are, odds are somebody helped most. Could be as simple as your parents making sure you got to school everyday. Believe it or not there are kids out there that don't have that. What about them? Tough luck? They didn't choose the situation they are in. I'm a believer that hunting can save a kid. A local kid. I've seen it. A kid that very well couldve been stealing stuff out of your shop 10 years down the road if you didn't give them the chance at the outdoors. I want them to have every chance at it they can. If that means keeping the NR flood gates closed, I'm ok with it.

Are they not buying now? Winke Drury, Lakosky, Lindsey 1000 acres+ each.

Would it increase, sure, but unless you close the borders, why would you think it can be controlled.

Push for zero access for NR then??

I agree, he must be someone who has more $$ than the average guy and is only thinking about himself.....oh wait that's how most guys with $$ get where they are.....
Maybe raise your kid to work hard for what he/she wants, get educated, and make it happen? That's a thought....People have been paying to farm ground, I don't see anyone crying how that pushed Johnny out and the kid down the roads dreamed were crushed....

Work hard AND only think about yourself remember

Fletch-- NR have driven the price of marginal ground way up??

Compared to what state? Name a bordering state where Iowa has significantly higher land prices....not including good flat Iowa corn ground.

Yes, that is a fact. They have driven the price of marginal ground way up. Compared to Iowa, what it was before the big antler craze. We aren't talking about other states. We are talking about Iowa only. To compare land values to other states is a deflection. But, you know that.

To use the Drury's, Lakosky's and others is also a distraction. They had the luxury of moving here to make it work. Most wont or cant make that commitment just for the lust of antlers. But, again you know that. So, obviously there would be increased demand from NR's if they were given concessions for tags when purchasing land. Again, you know that.

Zero access for NR??? How about you scream that the sky is falling also. That might make for a nice distraction from the facts too. I think you are done. You have brought absolutely nothing to the table. I hope you never get your concessions and I will continue to fight the good fight. It would absolutely hurt Iowans that cant afford to own hunting land and Iowans that make a living off the land.

Fletch--sell you land for $1000 acre then!! If you feel sorry for everyone.

If you sold you'd ask top dollar.

You don't even show up on here unless you see NR. Let's see you post some habitat pics ....that's a challenge...instead of railing on NR.

Are they not buying now? Winke Drury, Lakosky, Lindsey 1000 acres+ each.

Would it increase, sure, but unless you close the borders, why would you think it can be controlled.

Push for zero access for NR then??
Nope. Just keep it limited............like it is now. Seems to be working ok.

How on earth can we compare deep pocket investors from Minnesota buying farms in Iowa to Iowans buying a cabin in Minnesota?? You've got to be kidding!! My family owned a cabin on a lake in Minnesota from the early 60's till sometime after I left home in the 70's. I hated going up there!! And we never had anybody knocking on the cabin door wanted to fish bullheads!

How on earth can we compare deep pocket investors from Minnesota buying farms in Iowa to Iowans buying a cabin in Minnesota?? You've got to be kidding!! My family owned a cabin on a lake in Minnesota from the early 60's till sometime after I left home in the 70's. I hated going up there!! And we never had anybody knocking on the cabin door wanted to fish bullheads!

Well what do you mean? No rich Iowa cabin or lake home owners? Im not deep pockets?

Well what do you mean? No rich Iowa cabin or lake home owners? Im not deep pockets?
Your trophy bullheads and mosquitos weren't worth the gas it took to go up there. And that was gas prices in the 60's. I love the way Minnesota people push their lakes. I've seen farm ponds with better water and fish. I guess it's because it's really the only thing they have enough of to brag about. In fact my dad said he lost money on that cabin just to get rid of it! Like owning a time share to a destination you never want to go back to!!

Your trophy bullheads and mosquitos weren't worth the gas it took to go up there. And that was gas prices in the 60's. I love the way Minnesota people push their lakes. I've seen farm ponds with better water and fish. I guess it's because it's really the only thing they have enough of to brag about. In fact my dad said he lost money on that cabin just to get rid of it! Like owning a time share to a destination you never want to go back to!!

Must have been on a lake by the Iowa border. I haven't caught a bullhead in years. Just a lot of walleye.

He should have kept that cabin worth 10x the value now.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 12
Fletch--sell you land for $1000 acre then!! If you feel sorry for everyone.

If you sold you'd ask top dollar.

You don't even show up on here unless you see NR. Let's see you post some habitat pics ....that's a challenge...instead of railing on NR.
I don't get this argument at all. He has said nothing of selling land for nothing or a discount. Just that he doesn't want to see it inflate. Even 100$ an acre change due to increased NR interest is to much. Oh and by the way no one gives a rip about fish in the grand scheme. I bet a majority on here enjoy it but it just passes time til October. NrLO are not the sole issue, corporate farms, absentee landowners, crazy taxes and regs that discourage farm transfers from one generation to the next. The insane cost of farming and terrible margins. It's much easier to rent the tillable and enjoy the rec part and let someone else have the headaches. Be alot less headache to get a job and get over time, but then I would have a boss

Top Bottom