Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blaze Orange

flugge

So one of my buddies and myself have noticed a tremendous amout of hunting in blinds without orange during muzzleloader season... One person that I asked that was clearly not wearing orange stated -A muzzleloader is not a firearm-... Now I do not see that as being true, but truly, I do not see any definition in the regs.. so am I in the wrong for thinking people dont need orange? I would ALWAYS wear orange while carrying a gun period..

BLAZE ORANGE REQUIRED

To hunt deer with a firearm in any season you must wear one of the following articles of external, visible, solid blaze orange clothing: vest, jacket, coat, sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coveralls. An orange hat alone is not sufficient. No person shall use a blind for hunting deer during the regular shotgun deer seasons unless such blind exhibits a solid blaze orange marking with a minimum of 144 square inches visible in all directions. A blind is defined as a place of concealment constructed, either wholly or partially from manmade materials, which is used for the purpose of hiding a person who is hunting from sight. A blind is not a naturally occurring landscape feature or an arrangement of natural or agricultural plant material that a hunter uses for concealment. In addition to the requirements above, hunters using blinds must also satisfy the requirements of wearing blaze orange.

Thats a good question. Seems like a no brainer, but technically he may be on to something. I don't think the ATF considers muzzleloaders a firearm. That's why you can have one shipped to ur door or buy one off the shelf without a background check. So the question would be whether the DNR considers a muzzleloader a firearm.

ATF may not consider a muzzy a "firearm" but they aren't the ones writing the laws or the citations. Pretty sure the DNR intends for muzzy hunters to wear orange. Don't think I would want to fight that one in front of a judge... :rolleyes:

I always thought the blind itself only needed orange on it during shotgun seasons... I could be wrong I dont hunt from a blind very often, mostly just turkeys

Muzzy hunters must wear blaze orange on their person, but if hunting in a blind, the blind does not need external orange as it does during shotgun season. Pretty clear in the regs.

NWBuck

Top Bottom