Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What now.....?

Hsmaross

So, My Brother-n-law arrowed a really nice buck on Saturday morning. After giving the deer a couple hours we set out to recover his biggest deer ever. After following a decent blood trail for about 400 yards, we bumped the deer. The deer took off with his tail up and didnt look hurt at all. The shot was a pass through, but there was a lot of white belly hair on the mechanical and the shaft, which lead me to believe the shot was low. We continued on after an hour break only to loose all blood trail and the deer. Fast forward to this morning...He texts me and said he shot one of the bucks on our hit list. He was out there alone so I told him if he looses the blood trail to back out and call reinforcements. He called an hour later said he was gonna take a break and try again this afternoon. I plan on doing everything I can to help him find this deer, but I cant help but be upset with this. 2 mature bucks in 48 hours and nothing to show for it. Suggestions on how to handle this situation would be grand. Dont want to yell and scream, but Practicing with his bow in the offseason is not a priority with him. And this situation is why it pisses me off.............If that deer is dead though, I will find it, PROMISE:mad::mad::mad:

Pissed off Brother-n-law

Man that type of stuff drives me nuts - here's my take on it. With deer hunting there's 1000 variables that are out of our control. The one thing we can be in the most control of... our time practicing and being able to make an good clean shot over and over. Sure, we all make bad shots from time to time but if that starts to become the norm then you gotta look to the source.

Why spend hours and hours prepping for season only to go out and wound deer? Gotta take the time and be dedicated to be your best in the one thing you can control the most... your shooting abilities and good shot placement.

I'd bet the first buck was hit really low and is probably fine. Who's land is it and who has the permission to hunt? If he's hunting on your land just because he's your bro in law, I'd suggest putting some rules in place. Don't be a jerk, but say hey if you aren't willing to practice, then you don't need to hunt my property.

I'd bet the first buck was hit really low and is probably fine. Who's land is it and who has the permission to hunt? If he's hunting on your land just because he's your bro in law, I'd suggest putting some rules in place. Don't be a jerk, but say hey if you aren't willing to practice, then you don't need to hunt my property.
I might also have him prove his ability. 5 arrows in a paper plate at 40 yds....then put him in a stand location that only offers shots at 20 yds.

On a side note--few years ago I missed a deer badly, a real head scratcher after drilling tacks at 20 yds all day long with field tips. Turned out my new broad heads were a terrible match with my bow for some reason and they were missing low by 10". Your bro in law MUST confirm broad head flight!

Last edited:
This is happening far too often and the solution isn't entirely clear to me as of yet. A friend that was doing this on our ground left after we implemented some rules he didn't want to have to follow. Prior to that he wounded more deer then he recovered. Family can be a bit tougher situation though. I used to work with a guy who showed me a target of a glendale buck with an arrow in the ham, the neck, the guts and the front leg. Told me it was a 20 yard grouping... then told me he was all set to hunt. When I expressed my concern he simply said I don't care as long as I at least hit the deer. In that situation I was blunt and told him he had no business hunting with that grouping and it gives hunters a bad name.

Been there!!!! Imo- which isn’t worth 2 cents.... he’s gotta b done for year. If I was in his shoes I’d be really bummed right now but also tuck tail & voluntarily call it a year. Bummer for all - hope u find one & tag it if lethal!!

in our case if someone wounds one thats usually their deer.. just imo i would never go after another hit lister after wounding one just common courtesy to the people i hunt with and the fact that i just wouldn't feel good doing it

Thanks to you all...since Monday, we have discussed a few of these things. The broad head he has been using was trashed....I made him do it.....I also believe his wife has pretty much made him shut it down for the year...I think for next year(if he is hunting still) it's gonna be this, if you hit and lose A buck....any buck....then that was your chance. Now pick a doe. If that rule gets broken I will have no choice but to send him packing....just FYI....I took Tuesday off to look for his deer. I spent 6 hours out there and no deer was found. I was sick, this one hurt to finally say enough was enough.

Absolutely Not! Bad shots, though they do happen, are not okay period. I was raised to respect the the privilege and the animal. I was taught to always understand that the only thing that comes from pulling a trigger is death, not something to be taken lightly. I should have worded that a little differently above. One second chance. If a doe is wounded and lost the same rule applies. I was just emphasizing the buck situation that unfolded this past week is all. No wounded animal made to suffer is okay in my book ever, but I do understand that sometimes it happens. It has happened to me and many others out there. The only thing we can do is to make sure that we do everything we can to avoid this situation in the future. I apologize for letting you think otherwise. I take this privilege very seriously, and I am passing that on to my boys as well. Even at their young age, they have no problem educating someone one how to hunt ethically and responsibly, including family.

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
Quick update.......the second buck that was shot was found!!!!!!! We found the deer while just out for a walk along the creek. He was found a little over a mile from where he was originally shot. Pics to come.

Glad to hear you found the buck. Sad to hear about curt. I am from ackley and know curt. Hopefully you find more information about what happened. Wish I could help.

Top Bottom