Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Most coyotes I’ve ever seen- folks noticing this????

We have had a lot more on trail cams this year than last year on our farm in NE Iowa, will try to do some e calling after the seasons are over and thin them down a bit, now if we could just do the same thing with the neighbors dogs that are running the deer out on a daily basis!

You'd almost have to trap year round to do have even the slightest chance at controlling their numbers. Trapping hard Dec-Jan helps a little for a very short period of time.
Exactly. And like above says - they have such a huge range- takes nothing to fill back in. It’s not like a deer that might make a square mile “home”. These suckers travel!!!
Where my concern comes in..... one farm I have is having major fawning issues...... well- logic there: kill the coyotes around May. That’s pretty hard and you can’t snare and wouldn’t want to anyways. Trying to think of how to wipe them out before and during fawning season. At the same time- they really are going to need to be killed all fall and winter long as well. Kill as many as possible anytime available.

Doing some reading- back in the day- they used compound 1080 to blast cyanide into the coyotes mouth. Crazy!!!!!! Obviously that’s long gone and probably for good reason! Major things in past people did to poison & eradicate coyotes. Recipes from government documents from the 60's and 70's would shock you. Aerial fly over of bait drops, crazy stuff!! Times have changed. Heck, I think you could still buy dynamite at your hardware store back then!!!

On the “making sure it’s legal side” of things- my head has gone from the obvious of trapping to shooting to off the wall things like this.... finding a road kill deer & getting tag to get to my farm. Let it sit out in field by house with cell cam on it- thermal scopes out the house window & try to have few guys blow em away. Probably - as usual - just a drop in the bucket and they will get educated to that.
Of course we have the coyote fishing example folks have heard of but pretty insane and likely illegal.

I’d love to get a mini gun out of a helicopter for a few weeks but I suspect that may be frowned upon by government :). Fun to dream! Or heck- go watch those tannerite videos blowing pigs up on corn pile. Substitute a deer carcus??!?? Ok- my imagination running long enough for today ;)

Last edited:
  • Deleted by 4DABUCKS
  • Reason: Posted too early
Show…
Exactly. And like above says - they have such a huge range- takes nothing to fill back in. It’s not like a deer that might make a square mile “home”. These suckers travel!!!
Where my concern comes in..... one farm I have is having major fawning issues...... well- logic there: kill the coyotes around May. That’s pretty hard and you can’t snare and wouldn’t want to anyways. Trying to think of how to wipe them out before and during fawning season. At the same time- they really are going to need to be killed all fall and winter long as well. Kill as many as possible anytime available.

Doing some reading- back in the day- they used compound 1080 to blast cyanide into the coyotes mouth. Crazy!!!!!! Obviously that’s long gone and probably for good reason!

On the “making sure it’s legal side” of things- my head has gone from the obvious of trapping to shooting to off the wall things like this.... finding a road kill deer & getting tag to get to my farm. Let it sit out in field by house with cell cam on it- thermal scopes out the house window & try to have few guys blow em away. Probably - as usual - just a drop in the bucket and they will get educated to that.
Of course we have the coyote fishing example folks have heard of but pretty insane and likely illegal.

I’d love to get a mini gun out of a helicopter for a few weeks but I suspect that may be frowned upon by government :). Fun to dream! Or heck- go watch those tannerite videos blowing pigs up on corn pile. Substitute a deer carcus??!?? Ok- my imagination running long enough for today ;)
That's crazy Skip! I'e never seen them tannerite videos before! Lmao Wow!

Skip I feel your pain. I'd set as many snares as possible. One thing to also consider would be contacting s trapper who is ADC certified. I believe they can trap all year if damage is being caused. I know they can for beaver and such for farmers so I don't see how coyote would be any different. It will obviously cost you, but could definitely be worth it.

I have some friends that run greyhounds on coyotes. They run the same sections weekend after weekend, year after year. Pretty much kill the same number of coyotes year in year out. There is about 7-8 trucks that hunt, they hunt from Halloween to Easter and normal year kill over 1000 coyotes combined, never seems to hurt the population. They don't really have that much ground they run because it doesn't set well with some people, so given how few of sections they run, they kill a ton of coyotes, but never run out. They only thing that ever seems to happen is occasionally it seems like a certain area will have a disease run through and they will catch thin coyotes and not see as many, but the next year problem is gone.

There is about 7-8 trucks that hunt, they hunt from Halloween to Easter and normal year kill over 1000 coyotes combined, never seems to hurt the population.
That there is INSANE! I guess.... imagine if they weren’t shooting those 1000!? Nuts!!

I had one trail camera on my farm near Osceola that was full of coyotes, not one shooter buckUn-Coyote.jpg was on camera and this was my best spot in past years. I went 400 yards to the south and not as many coyotes, and the bucks were all over on that camera...strange, weird stuff?

I have a series of trail cam pics where a coyote walks by a forky. He stops and they both look at each other and he keeps moving. Thought it was weird. But maybe only tackle deer in groups and forky knew it.

The two coyotes I shot with my bow this year were actively chasing/hunting deer. No doubt they hunt deer but deer seem to coexist well with the coyotes. It's mother nature doing what she does best. Worse is late season when coyotes clear the fields in those last 30 minutes... frustrating!

Definitely an uptick in south/central Iowa where I hunt. I had two in bow range this year and couldn't get a shot off. (I keep cheapo fixed heads for yotes, cuz I hate to waste expensive broad heads). I should have just let the expensive broadheads fly, looking back!

Anyone ever use those speaker type calls, Fox Pro, to hunt them? Bought one several years ago and have tried it twice, nada luck. Would like to see someone utilize one to learn the tricks of that trade or talk with one.

Anyone know where to find the research data or any other reading books or online on the range of coyotes that JoeDirt and a couple others have mentioned in this thread?

Anyone know where to find the research data or any other reading books or online on the range of coyotes that JoeDirt and a couple others have mentioned in this thread?
I heard a podcast from Joe Rogan interviewing Dan Flores and another with Steve Rinella saying the same that has been said here. They are resilient critters. The more you kill the more they reproduce.

3 of the four we got today. Same spot. Deer hunting
df96cad074fdcab3421b5a7222d1ddf5.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Anyone ever use those speaker type calls, Fox Pro, to hunt them? Bought one several years ago and have tried it twice, nada luck. Would like to see someone utilize one to learn the tricks of that trade or talk with one.

I do some calling in the winter. It took awhile to figure it out and it's still not a sure thing by any means but it's a heck of a lot of fun when it works! Shoot me a PM and I can give you any info I can. Call sequencing etc. Not sure where you are located but if we're close, maybe we can get together this year and give it a go! Best advice, watch some videos and just do it, a lot and don't give up.

Top Bottom