Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa City Urban bowhunt

About time. We have been doing the urban bow hunt in Polk county for over 20 years with great success, extremely small cost to taxpayers, and money going to the DNR for tags.

I participated in the Coralville urban bowhunt for two years. The second year, EHD had swept through and the need to cull the herd by bowhunting was gone. Only hunted once or twice that year.

"They need light up deer crossing signs and to trim more bushes"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bonker, I'll buy you a bottle of makers if you 1) drink 1/4 of it and 2) go to that meeting. I'll sit in the back with popcorn

I pushed for this actually when I was in college in Iowa city, 2003-2004 timeframe. The meeting was such a joke, it didn’t have a prayer to pass.

Hopefully it works out better this time!

The deer walking around the Iowa City area back in the early 2000’s was impressive! My parents dropped me off at the remote parking lot where I kept my car. I had a couple hours to kill before football practice so why not walk the grass on the back side of that lot......still have the matched set with 12 and 13” brow tines that were laying on top of each other. One of my favorite things to do at practice was show Phil Parker a doe or two sneaking behind the practice field along the tracks. He wasn’t impressed that I had deer on my mind in the middle of practice.....lol!

When is this meeting? I could not catch it at the end and player kept replaying commercials.

I know this is a huge uphill argument to persuade people with different views. But as hunters we need to show and prove to people that the herd numbers can be controlled with very little cost to tax payers and ethically. It has been proven time and again that this is possible. There is no reason to pay for the sterilization of deer, at an astronomical price, when we are willing to buy tags.

I used to do the Coralville hunt. When it was prime the bow hunters would take nearly 150 deer each year costing Coralville nothing except the officer time that it took to instruct the guys hunting and check in the deer at various times.
At that time I thought I had heard that Iowa City had been paying $70-$100,00 to have their population reduced. They were only getting around 100 deer in their efforts.
I know a lot of guys in the Coralville hunt were HUSH donaters also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wille Suchy talked a lot about this before he passed and shook his head at the libs as the DNR tried to help the city with the deer population. The Libs would rather pay many thousands of dollars to keep the herd in check or try to than to see a bowhunter kill a deer for sport cause that’s just immoral in their eyes.

Top Bottom