Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 antler development

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
I'm not running cameras yet, but from driving around, if def appears we are "behind" normal, just like the spring was. Probably a big correlation there. Maybe they will catch up..... or not. What y'all think/see?

I agree. Actually had 3 bucks on one farm still packing last years horns in early April

We seem to be a coipke weeks behind in my area

Yes i wore off some shoe leather looking for sheds early to mid march only to pull a card and find out 70pct still holding at end of month !! Hope they make up for it this summer !!

Dang. I hope not. Maybe the Rut will be mid December then- just every thing a month late?!?! ;).
I can’t complain on rain this year (so far better than last) but I do wanna hear what others think of growth vs other years by now.

9c543dc64a533a64d5df295b7de323f8.jpg
5a3dbc35770be30ceef22487ec85f7a7.jpg
3ae68ba0f3937244bc3f5ab1d9bdcd80.jpg

5 mins ago!!!! He looks bigger in person and does look mature. Don’t know the buck but here’s EXAMPLE of one unfortunate buck.

Anyone want me to turn around & salvage the meat? Jerky??? “Summer sausage”???
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Don't think he would have gottin any bigger. Looks like he was starting to shed his velvet.
Yep. Agree. Why I really think we should be starting a June 1 rifle season!!!! Been my dream to tag a velvet June monster for my whole life. Folks need more opportunity! Kids outta school- would get the kids into hunting for sure.

Seen some “pigs” so far with big old beams & then see ones like this that “seem” far behind. Bizarre year yet again. Still say it can’t be worse than last year.

Slightly, how bad was the drought in your area last year?? We are dry this year but do have crops, alfalfa and clover that are started at least. Was wondering just how dry it has to get to negatively affect antler growth.

Think it will be worse than last year for me. Your drought moved slightly east this year.

Drought by me was horrid last year. Awful. No rain of any substantial amount for over 2 months. What really hurt things, IMO, was the intense heat in addition to drought. Less forage/nutrition, higher stress = reduced potential of racks or lesser gains IMO.

Finally some rain here Friday night but we have had the heat for sure!! Haven't put cameras out and won't start looking for another month.

Top Bottom