Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree disease identification

4DABUCKS

I noticed that the red oak tree in my yard this wk started dropping leaves. Upon further inspection I see that 75% of the leaves are completely brown amd half have fallen off. The top 25% is still green and look good but bottom 75% of the tree is brown. Is this oak wilt? or something different? Any input would be appreciated, at this point I don't know if I should cut down and burn or wait and see.
Here is a leaf that has not completely turned brown.
db5bd88d1c011585e4ad493bc50fdee9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Had a pile of oaks die few years back, neighbors said wilt. Waiting on others to give you opinion. Had my best shade tree leave out only to notice all leaves are brown and dead a week ago. Not an oak though :(

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kinda looks like it to me. Forester or arborist be able tell u.
Did it get a wound since time it’s been out of dormancy? Not required but sure can help em get Oak wilt. Sucks. Fungal & if more trees u worried about- there’s some options out there. Dunno if rescue that tree or not or if fungicides could help or not?

No wounds to speak of. I thought maybe when the neighbor sprayed his field that some overspray or drift may have caught it but it's 20 yds from field edge with several arbividas and apple trees closer and they seem fine.

Heck- I’m theorizing here but even having a little spray that hurt tree could have created a situation where wilt set in. Just enough weakness that it found entry or was susceptible. Sometimes oaks simply get it though. If it is wilt & u do wanna treat it- need to do now, likely with fungicides. Or let it run its course & who knows. I guess only question is have for forester or the area is whether or not there’s ramifications to other local trees (like not transporting wood. Cutting & burning the tree. Protecting other trees with preventative measures, etc. whatever.). Probably worth a call or email to ur local forester.

Top Bottom