Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New sping planted clover plot - grass/weeds

Snooter

Hey all, been a member on here for quite a while but never posted - time for that to change!

I planted a small 1/2 acre Whitetail Imperial Clover plot late in early May after spraying/killing the whole area and disc'ing it up. I also put down about 600 lbs of Lime once the seed was in and covered.

So, last week of May now and the little clovers are popping up everywhere - good sign! However, there's quite a bit of grass and some weeds coming up as well. I've been treating another plot with Clethodim @ 10oz per acre (mixed results), so I'm pondering if there's anything I can do for this new plot to help it grow without hurting the very small yet clover.

Given this new plot is young and just getting established - should I just leave it alone and let the clover mature before spraying for the grasses?

Anything else I can do right now to help the little clover have it's best chance at taking over the grasses throughout the summer?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
If the grass is tall enough mow it. Best maintenance practice and results I've had is just mowing clover!

Agree on above, mowing your best tool.
I do spray clethodim & crop oil.
DID YOU PUT CROP OIL IN IT???? WON'T DO HARDLY JACK WITHOUT IT!!!
One trick on clethodim & crop oil..... High water volumes & consistent coverage. So, let's say you had your spraying putting 15 gallons of water down per acre to get your 10 oz of clethodim & crop oil out. I'd start by doubling the amount of water you apply to get a better coverage on those grasses. Leave the grasses longer in length/height if you gonna spray (so don't mow if spraying is all I'm saying) so more grass surface to touch/attach to with Clethodim & crop oil. SO.... UP THE H2O RATE! Last.... Bump up your clethodim to 15 oz per acre & use labeled rate on crop oil as some oils are "hotter" than others.

Good info guys. Ill let the new stuff do its thing for now and just mow it without spray. As for the Cleth on the existing plot, i did use crop oil at the labeled rate. At about 2.5 weeks after though the grass didnt seemed phased much.. maybe Ill hit it again with 15oz here in another month or so.

How long does it take for the clethodim to kick in , I hit my clover/ chicory plots with 14 oz cleth and quart of crop oil a week ago , nothing happening yet

How long does it take for the clethodim to kick in , I hit my clover/ chicory plots with 14 oz cleth and quart of crop oil a week ago , nothing happening yet

You said you used crop oil, which is vital, so I think you should be good. It starts "looking like something" about 10-14 days after spraying. It depends on what plants are being killed, grasses(targeted by cleth) take a little longer to show than some other things that when hit with glyphosphate may start looking pretty puny on 3 to 4 days or so. I suspect that you are fine...check it again in a week.

Your clover should look better by fall and if not then for sure next spring. Clover is best planted in fall with a cover crop.

Not to steal the thread, but if spraying with a back pack sprayer (4 gal.) how much clethodim would you recommend?

Not to steal the thread, but if spraying with a back pack sprayer (4 gal.) how much clethodim would you recommend?
I would say roughly 4-5oz. Saying that 16-20oz of cleth per acre. So fill your backpack sprayer up 5 times and you would have your rate per acre. I always "wing" it and go pretty heavy with my back pack sprayer to make sure I get a good kill....I dont want to walk around lugging that heavy bastard around for it not to kill anything. I also put in about 1oz of crop oil with it which is also probably a little on the hot side but i dont have a way to measure anything less than an ounce and once again, im trying to kill the heck out of things!!

Top Bottom