Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Vehicle GPS recommendations

muddy

Looking to get a plug in GPS for our vacationing needs. Been borrowing my moms Magellan but was wondering if there was one that came with already uploaded locations.

It was a life saver in the Rockies, held service where our phones would not.

I'm looking for something that can give me road directions while we're driving, with the screen to show where to go as well.

51b6aae1f3f100edbfcc14533405f990.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If your IPhone will work where we were over the past 2 weeks I'll be impressed.

It impressed the heck out of me when it told me where I was on Makoop lake 800 miles north of here last week! Did a better job of telling me where I was, and where the lodge was, than my handheld Garmin! Anyone want to buy a Garmin Etrex 20 cheap??? Serious!

It impressed the heck out of me when it told me where I was on Makoop lake 800 miles north of here last week! Did a better job of telling me where I was, and where the lodge was, than my handheld Garmin! Anyone want to buy a Garmin Etrex 20 cheap??? Serious!
Give ya $20, plus shipping of course

Muddy I have had several garmin auto gps. I always stayed around $100 for each. They did all your asking for. Don't buy one for a semi truck.

Be hard for me to choose a car gps over a phone Understand that the phone may not get service 100% of the time but I know it does better than the garmin I use to have.

Used my phone all over out west earlier this year without a problem. Was most impressed how it did in Australia 2 years ago, was unbelievably impressed at how good it worked.

We just got back from a 2 week trip out through Colorado. Our phones had hardly any service unless we are inside of a city or on the understate. As soon as we got off the beaten track they were done. The car GPSI borrowed from my mom worked everywhere we went except at the bottom of the black Canyon.

If you use google maps you have the ability to create offline maps.

Touch the three lines -> choose offline maps -> drag the the square around the Area of Interest -> Download -> Walla you are good to go.
This will allow you search/get directions for the area you download all while offline. Maps can get pretty big if you download a large enough area and expire after 30 days.

You can simulate that it will work for the area you are headed to by turning all data and wifi connections off and search away.

Ha, read the original post two weeks ago and did not heed the warning!!! Our phones just didn’t do as well I think they should’ve out west. I’ll never head out on a trip without a satellite GPS and an Atlas in the car again. Not that we were ever truly lost but could’ve saved us time.

Top Bottom