Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lets talk about your 2018-19 Whitetail Strategy....

This year will be different then most years for me. The goals for the year remain the same but the properties and the amount of time that I have to achieve those goals will be less then years past. This is the first year in 4 years that's I won't be leasing my property 3 hours away from home due to me going back to school. I have a few properties around home that produce pretty good deer but their no where near as good as my previous leases. I will spend the little time I have hunting high pressure cold
Fronts in early season over water and greens, the rut will be spent as much time as possible in the stand trying to capitalize on a mature buck. It's going to be a tough year as I was spoiled for so many years with great hunting and a handful of mature buck harvests but it's a sacrafic I need to make. The most important goal will be to have fun and enjoy my time spent in the outdoors watching nature at its finest.

Well all I can say is that I’m glad I burned my Wyoming deer points for a max point pool trophy unit and I intend to milk that for every hour I can, for both the archery portion and rifle. Because after that I am relegated to our piss poor over hunted Illinois public for this whitetail season. Burned Iowa points last year. I did draw a late season archery only IL park hunt but don’t expect much. And I will try shotgun hunting a new Shawnee Forest area public property known for waterfowl. On top of this, my wife will accompany me on any trips this season. She just retired. That will limit my time. In future years she will spend my hunting seasons overseas at her condo. Not sure how she will deal with all my hunting.

Well all I can say is that I’m glad I burned my Wyoming deer points for a max point pool trophy unit and I intend to milk that for every hour I can, for both the archery portion and rifle. Because after that I am relegated to our piss poor over hunted Illinois public for this whitetail season. Burned Iowa points last year. I did draw a late season archery only IL park hunt but don’t expect much. And I will try shotgun hunting a new Shawnee Forest area public property known for waterfowl. On top of this, my wife will accompany me on any trips this season. She just retired. That will limit my time. In future years she will spend my hunting seasons overseas at her condo. Not sure how she will deal with all my hunting.
There are a few nonresident iowa gun tags left. Typically sold out but due to some changes there are some leftover in few units

There are a few nonresident iowa gun tags left. Typically sold out but due to some changes there are some leftover in few units

Yes I know but I’d much rather save my preference point for an archery tag down the road. But I won’t be waiting for zone 5 any more. Hell it will be up to 5 points by then. I’ll lose 25 years of experience but what can you do? Only other option I might try there is late muzzleloader some day.

Top Bottom