Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cwd again

flugge

So the fiancé got a letter in the mail about cwd, of course not me (even though I killed more deer there). Basically what I read is they are ramping up and even added an EXTRA 250 tags inside those areas. But what intrigued me was the bottom few lines (and kinda ticked me off).
So it says don’t leave bones or carcasses. On so what about gut piles? Obviously it’s not gonna be enforced I assume??
Last year we tried calling and no one answered or returned calls, so that’s worthless. Just a bit grumpy about kill more deer but so many other loose ends first IMO

04f35b2c14203f09d37014eafc29e318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second line is kind of contradicting. If CWD is such a big problem then the DNR needs to start having mandatory check stations for statewide tags or non zone rather than additional tags. Killing extra deer isn’t controlling the spread or providing new information when deer aren’t being tested.

They want these 250 deer tested but we also have a late antlerless rifle season in january to lower the population and they dont care if we test them.

I have a sneaky suspicion in 5 years or so when the grant money runs out this will all change. Life will go on as usual and we will live with CWD just like WI.

I’m assuming this is in Allamakee or Clayton? More special quotas....or in other words population reduction. They have taken a ton of deer out of this area already. Not sure how many more it can be reduced. Quite a bad situation for all parties...hunters, landowners, DNR, local businesses, etc.

I’m assuming this is in Allamakee or Clayton? More special quotas....or in other words population reduction. They have taken a ton of deer out of this area already. Not sure how many more it can be reduced. Quite a bad situation for all parties...hunters, landowners, DNR, local businesses, etc.

What makes you say they’ve taken a ton of deer out of that area already?

If I saw a deer on my property with what I thought was CWD, I would NOT be contacting the Iowa DNR to notify them. Don Higgins had an excellent article on this on Facebook. Unless you want all the deer eradicated within 5 sq miles and no deer on your land.

I can only speak for Clayton county, but around here there are getting to be gobs of deer. The pockets where the deer are off limits entirely or on highly managed ground are thick as flys. I feel like they are trying to maintain that balance and slow the growth of the herd. If we don't start whacking a few more of them in 2-3 years we are going to have a real problem around here. CWD is here it will only get worse as population density gets thicker. Thicker pop density, then the deer spread out looking for food, spreading CWD. Its simple math. I plan on hammering the does again this year, and shoot a mature buck if I have the chance, obviously. I want to have deer to shoot at, but I don't need a herd of 150 on every farm to shoot at.

No vaccine, treatment or cure for CWD. Ban hunting:eek:, let the population grow and those that are genetically resistant to CWD will spawn the future generations of deer. It doesn't make sense to me to thin the herd to nothing when you might be culling resistant animals. Nature's way before man started thinking they know best how to handle things. If the deer don't develop resistance naturally, then we are screwed. ;):D

No vaccine, treatment or cure for CWD. Ban hunting:eek:, let the population grow and those that are genetically resistant to CWD will spawn the future generations of deer. It doesn't make sense to me to thin the herd to nothing when you might be culling resistant animals. Nature's way before man started thinking they know best how to handle things. If the deer don't develop resistance naturally, then we are screwed. ;):D
The 2 bottom lines of “scientists” with prevailing & differing views.....
1) grant woods, Rogan podcast, Etc “could or will be extinction of whitetail deer in my kids lifetime”
2) James kroll’s, etc....... even with all they doing- reality is, cwd (because of birds, deer movement & stays in soil & plant material moves it, etc etc) - will be in every county in US.

Both views are bad. Where # 2 differs..... #2 contests it’s killing a fraction of animals as #1 says. “Deer often live to 5-8 years old” or whatever. Or it’s not the cause or death in vast majority of deer. It’s not wiping deer out in cwd hotbed areas. Hunters are not finding dead deer in high #’s like (differing view) would lead u to believe. (Has facts on how many dead deer we would expect to find yearly IF #1 was correct & not happening).

Bottom line: CURE or do nothing. Run through any other scenario...... u kill every deer In area- birds, vegetation or new deer will spread it again. There’s essentially zero that will solve this by shooting 1 or 1 million extra deer. CURE or let nature work it out. IMO, as a non-expert listening to experts & Reading data- that’s the finite ONLY 2 options that have any merit. Period. I’m not saying “doing xyz” won’t slow the spread. But- to what end???? No end. 2 final options. The rest will fundamentally do NOTHING if one runs through all the hours of talk & ideas. If scientist “A” suggests “anything”- whatever suggestions u hear..... think that path through to end!!!!!! Think!!!

I should have stated I plan on shooting 3-5 deer this year because that's what I have done for the past 15 years or so. The farms I hunt on farmers want deer shot, it just so happens that I am in a CWD zone. I don't plan on shooting more than normal, but I guess you never know, I might.

I am defiantly not worried about running out of deer due to over hunting them. Letting them go so they can build immunity is not an option. I can just imagine the conversations with the farmers I deal with about how I only killed one buck because I want the population to grow to combat CWD.

Not what I meant or others......
I shoot does to keep on population control & meat. I dont shoot them for cwd reasons. I don’t think anyone on here is advocating “let an area go and not shoot does”. I think everyone means - won’t shoot does solely for cwd reasons or do things like eradicate deer for cwd reasons.
Ya- if I saw 150 deer - I’d be thinning, no doubt.

What is the DNRs (or contractors) legal ability to enter private land and take deer out? I've asked before and haven't seen an answer.

What is the DNRs (or contractors) legal ability to enter private land and take deer out? I've asked before and haven't seen an answer.
From my brief conversation with the biologist and dnr guys after the IBA spring banquet DNR meeting they said they cant or dont enter without permission. They try to work with landowners to get them in to harvest but he says they do get rejected. In those instances they try to compensate on the neighbors properties who do allow them.

Don't think Nature can work this out cause it didn't come from nature. Or did it? Still no discussion as to where this came from. Only one I have heard is from man screwing around with what was fed to captive animals. If man brought this on can nature cure it? I don't know...

id rather take precautions and heed the advice from the dnr, personally i think we should ban minerals and deer farms.. Cwd isn't some mythical hoax.. Maybe it will spread no matter what but why not take some precautions? seems to make sense to me.

id rather take precautions and heed the advice from the dnr, personally i think we should ban minerals and deer farms.. Cwd isn't some mythical hoax.. Maybe it will spread no matter what but why not take some precautions? seems to make sense to me.
So is it gonna be illegal for cattle farmers to throw out a mineral block in their pasture? Awful lot of pasture land up here and farmers who could care less about some deer disease to inconvenience their farming methods.

What makes you say they’ve taken a ton of deer out of that area already?

I should have been more specific. The area around the yellow river state forrest has had numerous years of special hunts...after the regulag seasons. I have hunted it for years and have seen a lot less deer these days.

Top Bottom