Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DCO (Dwarf Chinkapin Oak) for sale; plus other nuts/acorns

I did a segment on them on Midwest whitetail that got posted today. Watch that if u want. Dwarf chinkapins. They r great!!

I did a segment on them on Midwest whitetail that got posted today. Watch that if u want. Dwarf chinkapins. They r great!!
Good stuff!
I have a question though, if I buy a bunch of acorns, do I plant them in the ground now where I want them to grow? Or can you also put them in small pots, grow them and plant them later after they germ?

I know the question was not asked of me but the 30 that I have growing were put in the ground in the fall where I wanted them and covered with 2" of dirt and the same of mulch. I had almost 100 percent success with them popping the next spring.

I know the question was not asked of me but the 30 that I have growing were put in the ground in the fall where I wanted them and covered with 2" of dirt and the same of mulch. I had almost 100 percent success with them popping the next spring.
Cool!!! So, did u move the mulch at all in spring? Do a tube?
Critters are only issue I’ve had with them. Coons & squirrels have been a struggle. But- maybe that mulch is ticket or helps.

Cool!!! So, did u move the mulch at all in spring? Do a tube?
Critters are only issue I’ve had with them. Coons & squirrels have been a struggle. But- maybe that mulch is ticket or helps.

So, did u move the mulch at all in spring? Do a tube?
I tubed them the following spring. I would brush mulch away and check for sprouting. If sprouted I tubed them, if not covered them back up and checked back later. I just took the tubes off 3 years ago and put wire cages around them. I don't like to tube but that was a whole lot of wire cages I didn't want to make. I replaced the tubes with cages that I have eventually removed from the other trees I have planted in the past 10 years.

I took the cages off this year. We shall see if the deer destroy them or let them live.

The mulch was just wood chips from the county guys when they were cleaning ditches in the area of the farm. I asked them if they didn't have a spot for there truck load of mulch if they wouldn't mind dumping it on my place and they welcomed the idea.

About 160-180 are in a lb. this year. Acorns seems to be slightly larger than usual this year. I can fit up to 1.5 lbs in a USPS box. The cost for shipping in the US would be $9.00.

Top Bottom