Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Property

cybball

Just had an offer accepted on 20 acres of timber. This is my first property every, so I'm really excited to get on it. Probably won't have time this season, as closing will be Oct 28th. But, there is a small opening in the middle on a ridge I thought would be a good food plot spot (kill plot). What works typically in those? Clover? I'll clear out a few more trees to get some light on it, but curious.

Also, any tips or suggestions on how to tackle a brand new piece of timber? What things should I do, or just hang some stands and hunt it this season?
Thanks!

Here is my 2 cents worth
Dont rush planting a food plot ! Scout your entire pc. And learn where the area deer bed and feed first ! Then locate your stand locations based on wind direction . entrance and exit. And even pick the trees first ! Then see where you can locate your plots !!!! My feeling of having a plot in the middle is not good generaly on smaller pcs. Very hard to get in and out without disturbing everything . i like bedding in middle with food and stands around the perimeter !! Good luck and enjoy your new ground !!! Congrats !!!!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Agreed with above. The concept of depth of cover is a very important concept. On smaller properties, having food in the middle is almost never a good idea. There are no absolutes, but that is generally the case. Being all timber, the best thing you can do is get a forester out there ASAP... come up with a plan... and then start implementing TSI January 11. From a biomass perspective, you can produce exponentially more food with browse after TSI than a foodplot ever dreamed of producing. That is not to say a foodplot may not become part of your overall plan, but I would start with the timber, understand how/where/what/why the deer are doing what they are doing, then think about a strategic foodplot if it fits in the plan.

Great comments. Thanks. South of me is 40 acres of heavy cedars and a pond. I'm certain they would bed in there. I'll have to really get to know the property before doing too much, I suppose. Forester is a good idea. It's all oak and hickory. I'd like to keep the bigger trees, but there are a lot of smaller that could be used for TSI with some hinge cuts in the right area done the right way. Keep the ideas coming, as this is a new chapter in a new book for me. Hunted deer since 93, but never had a place where I could make changes and plant things. :)

Congrats! Nothing like owning your own chunk of dirt. Any place that we bought, we added a line in the PA asking to have access for recreation. Agreeing not to make any changes until after closing of course.

If you could post an ariel of yours and surronding area you could get some great ideas for layout from members on hear lots of knowledge on this site !!!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

In 2001 bought 45 ac. on Oct. 18. Hung three tree stands on Oct.25 and saw a big deer on Nov.3 on the ridge.
Moved one of my stands to the ridge and shot that deer at 25 yards on Nov.14. He scored 205". So it can happen. Good luck and get in there and hunt it.
I’ll probably end up doing exactly this (hopefully the deer part too!). Because closing is at the start of the rut, I may put off doing most things until season wraps up.

Ringgold. Really looking forward to hunting some southern Iowa timber. We hunt turkeys near Leon and I see loads of deer. I have hunted crappy spots for years now and have that bow hunting excitement again!

Ringgold. Really looking forward to hunting some southern Iowa timber. We hunt turkeys near Leon and I see loads of deer. I have hunted crappy spots for years now and have that bow hunting excitement again!

Good luck—solid area!

Nice! I joined the same boat last month out by Winterset. 22 acres just south of the middle river surrounded by 100s of acres of woods and some CRP. I'd say get out and put some cameras up and just hunt it this fall. See where the deer move and plant some stands. I have the only open till worthy spot in the area and will probably put down a couple acres of brassicas and apple trees as well next year. Its easy to get rushed but let the deer tell you what they like to do.

Also if you have any neighbors see if they'd want to help out or work together to get a program going for bedding etc. Never hurts to talk.

Nice! I joined the same boat last month out by Winterset. 22 acres just south of the middle river surrounded by 100s of acres of woods and some CRP. I'd say get out and put some cameras up and just hunt it this fall. See where the deer move and plant some stands. I have the only open till worthy spot in the area and will probably put down a couple acres of brassicas and apple trees as well next year. Its easy to get rushed but let the deer tell you what they like to do.

Also if you have any neighbors see if they'd want to help out or work together to get a program going for bedding etc. Never hurts to talk.
Congrats to you as well. Yeah, I think I was getting ahead of myself a bit. Just the excitement of having my own place and wanting to do all of everything in 1 day. :) I'll hunt it and start learning the patterns on the property. I noticed lots of owners around are from elsewhere, but one guy that farms near mine lives close. I'll probably stop and chat. Even just to introduce myself. Hardest part for me will be figuring out how to access it (where to park without pulling in and scaring everything.) 20 isn't that big. LOL

Congrats to you as well. Yeah, I think I was getting ahead of myself a bit. Just the excitement of having my own place and wanting to do all of everything in 1 day. :) I'll hunt it and start learning the patterns on the property. I noticed lots of owners around are from elsewhere, but one guy that farms near mine lives close. I'll probably stop and chat. Even just to introduce myself. Hardest part for me will be figuring out how to access it (where to park without pulling in and scaring everything.) 20 isn't that big. LOL

20 acres is over 870,000 square feet and roughly 15 football fields.

That is still plenty to hunt, and some times the best properties are small hidden gems.

20 acres is over 870,000 square feet and roughly 15 football fields.

That is still plenty to hunt, and some times the best properties are small hidden gems.
Totally agree and am overly thankful to have 20. Trust me. I've been hunting far fewer acres than than the past 10 years. Land with non-stop traffic going by, a new housing development right across the road, farmer who had a backhoe and bulldozer remove half of the trees in the creek and one buck seen more than 2.5 yrs old in the last 3 years.
Hunting 20 of my own, in a fairly secluded place is going to be a dream. :)

Congrats on the new purchase...enjoy!! For real, as to where to park...if there is an occupied building nearby, park as close to that as you can. Deer get very used to certain noises coming from certain places and I always endeavor to park close to other houses, barns, etc. Perhaps you can park on your property, but just across the road from the neighbor's house?? That would be ideal.

Top Bottom