Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Property

Congrats on the new place. I have had mine now for about 20 months and I still get jacked up every trip when I first see it across the valley from about 3 miles out. If your lucky, the local guy will be as good as my neighbor and be a benefit rather than a liability. Treat people good and hopefully it comes back to you.

I think the above advice is all solid - no hurry this fall - just sit back and learn is probably your best bet. My place needs some chainsaw work but I have been very patient about that project cause I won't get a do-over once the trees are cut and I have had plenty of other projects to keep me busy anyway.

BTW, take your to-do list for each trip and expect to only get about 50-60% of it done each trip ............ seriously.

Last edited:
I fully agree with bjohnson above !!! You never quite get everything done you had planned !!!! Also based on your last comments about where to park ? Ect. I think the lowest hole in your bucket might be entrance and exit !! Hinge cutting sime screening cover or planting some !! So much fun !!!!!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Kind of a dumb question. Do you guys hang no hunting/ no trespassing signs? Wasn’t sure if that was the norm or if I start having problems someday. I don’t want to be “that guy” from not around the area, but I also don’t want people using my spot.

Kind of a dumb question. Do you guys hang no hunting/ no trespassing signs? Wasn’t sure if that was the norm or if I start having problems someday. I don’t want to be “that guy” from not around the area, but I also don’t want people using my spot.

Short answer...I have never hung a no trespassing sign on my farm in 17 years now. I came real close once and bought some, but never put them up. I did have one squirrely neighbor once that almost pushed me over the edge. :) He has long since moved away, FWIW.

If you can, I would try hard to develop good relationships with your neighbors...it is really the best to have good neighbor relations and buying a place and immediately hanging No Trespassing signs can be seen as some as unneighborly. What you really want is for everyone to get along with each other and look out for one another's property. If you do put up signs...I would recommend meeting the neighbors first and seeing if you can't develop a rapport first. If they are the type that can't be reasoned with, etc, then I would put up signs and make it clear that you are serious about trespassing, etc.

But realistically, with 20 acres, it would be far better to be friends with everyone around you than standoffish...IMO. Good luck! BTW - not a dumb question! :)

Thanks. That was my planned approach as neighborly is what I’m all about. I’m a beekeeper too so I’ll be giving jars of honey when I shake hands.

Yes !! The pc i bought was one part of a farm that the "locals" not my neighbors used to drive every opening day ! My neighbors were very happy i bought it !! And wanted me to post it asap !!! So every area is different !! Talk with your neighbors !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

No trespassing signs... that is a tough one in Iowa.

My experience has been it angers some, but earns respect from others.

Get to know the neighbors, maybe mention eventually that you’ll post it. Remember there’s other guys that will hit both your neighbors and your own farm... shed hunting, coyotes, shotgun push, etc..

I will say that I do not own land in Iowa but any piece we’ve bought has been posted immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say if you don't have a trespass problem, don't bother hanging signs. If you do however; the first thing the sheriff will ask is if the land in question is posted. You'll get quick prosecution of trespassers in Iowa if the land is posted.

I'll see how it goes at first. I plan to introduce myself to the neighbor who owns most of the farm ground next door. That could help to get an idea of what goes on, but it could be him doing it. Either way, he will know me at that point. I'd rather start out with a handshake. I just didn't know how posting property lines generally worked and what others experienced.

Go ahead and introduce yourself to the neighbors because that doesn’t hurt. I would mention that you bought it for hunting and what you drive for a vehicle. I would mention that if they see anyone else in there to please give you a call because no one else has permission. Give him your cell number and mention that you will be posting the property. I would post it as soon as you get possession because it is now hunting season. The locals will run all over it if you don’t post it. It may even take a few years to get the trespassing stopped even if you post it. Especially if the ground has been open to everyone. Be sure to be there during the shotgun seasons. A landowner shotgun tag will give you a good excuse to be there during the first and second gun seasons. That is when you will have most of your trespassing issues. Game warden told me that warnings won’t work. Because the next year they will just send a different person from the group pushing through hoping they just get a warning. He said that if you prosecute all trespassers your problems will stop much sooner. I chose to post mine and have a zero warning policy. That was the game wardens advice and I took it. Fortunately, I haven’t had any issues for the last 10 years. So I guess the game wardens advice was right on. Good luck!

Top Bottom