Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting now?

Hodge

We just redid a dike at my club. It’s about 10 yards wide and about 100 yards long. Is there anything I can plant now that would grow this year? It’s a mix of black river bottom dirt and clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather dependent. Plenty of moisture through most of the state, but if we don't get some sun and warmer temps...as well as a couple of weeks before a hard freeze, seed will have been wasted.

NWBuck

rye can germinate down to freezing temps. Plenty of warm enough days. Plant rye.
Could be...but I seeded some rye a week after Labor Day, we've pretty much had nothing but rain and colder temps (not freezing) since, and it looks as black today as the day I seeded it. At some point, it's going to take a little sun and warmth for it to do much of anything yet this fall. It sure could happen, but at this point, it's a gamble. Seed not that expensive, so what the heck I suppose...

NWBuck

I doubt you'll see enough growth to make much of an attraction this fall , but as long as it germinates, it'll be back early in the spring to fight erosion.

you only need a few days of decent weather to make rye go crazy.....id get it down and hope for the best...

I’m going to throw some rye down today, the most I’ll be out is $20 and maybe an hour of my time. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom