Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Targeting 5 year old bucks

Thoughts on next week? Don't have any time to hunt this week until Sunday.
i think next week you will still have some decent "rutting" activity but mostly centered around food. the temps are supposed to drop next week and hold so the does are going to be heading back to the food and surely some of these run down bucks will be doing the same. Id bet a well located brassica or rye plot will be the place to be next week!

i think next week you will still have some decent "rutting" activity but mostly centered around food. the temps are supposed to drop next week and hold so the does are going to be heading back to the food and surely some of these run down bucks will be doing the same. Id bet a well located brassica or rye plot will be the place to be next week!
Let's hope so.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I honestly think many many people are either tagged out by the middle of November and or slow down their hunting efforts by that time and miss some of the best mature buck movement of the season. In my area anyway, hands down the best MATURE buck movement year after year is during the last two weeks of November. It's odd, but it has stayed consistent. My feeling is there are still those last few does that need to be bred and the old bucks are the only ones still getting after it. Either they have more stamina to keep going than the younger guys or they haven't been beat to a pulp and defeated. I don't know for sure.

I’m telling u guys!!!! If u can hunt NOW & “pick the right spot” - it’s nuts!!!!! I’m seeing more bucks now than 2 weeks ago. This is a “roll of dice” but u get in area with hot doe- insane. I was out tonight & again- 1pm bucks came from “who knows where “ different directions - looking for doe that had to be in heat. I do know some folks in any situation “was slow”. But that happened all nov u will hear that if hunted “bad pick of area”. IF IF IF a guy had the energy & could sit late & get out early.... say big timber in AM & bigger travel & food areas with patches of bedding in PM- person would have a good roll of dice seeing something very mature over next 5 days for example.

I've killed 90% of my bucks in Oct. Either the first or last week. Most years the first 15 days of Nov. can kiss my butt. 1st week to 10days is 120" buck after 120" buck but very few mature deer it seems. I may see some mature deer but its so random. And in the wide open usually with a doe.

Farm layout and crops play a major role. Last week of Nov. can be great over food for me.

I'd rather find one and kill him in October hands down.

Thanks for the responses guys. Seems the prime days are specific to individual farms. I reviewed scouting pics from 2014-2017 for 4.5 year old plus deer (not enough 5 year olds in MO) and one farm seems to slow down around 11/6 or so pretty consistently while the other still shows good movement. Not scientific but interesting.

Pressure & food have tons to do with this too. If u have prime low pressure bedding with food nearby- will be much easier to target deer in the earlier parts. VS a cow pasture for example. No food & crummier cover... be later when bucks cover bigger distances when those spots see better action & older bucks.

Top Bottom