Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

An obvious question, but still need help

Bad Medicine

Howdy all! Another year, another deer (hopefully). Anywho, a new hunting buddy posed me a question I simply couldn't answer. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that, but I am still pretty new to this. Anyways, I invited a co-worker of mine along for first shotgun season. He's all for it, but has never hunted deer before. Only rabbits and pheasants. He asked if his normal upland shell vest would be acceptable for deer hunting. He showed me a picture, and I couldn't answer. It's about 60% blaze, mostly over back and shoulders, with padding on both shoulders. The rest of it is dark brown, and the whole thing looks like it's made of nice heavy canvas. Got shell loops and game pockets. Would this be ok, or should I tell him to find a solid blaze vest? If it's ok, I may get one myself. Thanks!

Pretty sure its gotta be solid, but not certain I just error on the side of caution. I would tell him to get an all orange one and not wear any brown clothing at all personally.

Must be Solid blaze orange. Must be vest, jacket, coat, sweatshirt, sweater, shirt or coveralls.

Last edited:
Oh deer... ;) I didn't think I might stymie a long-time member. Addendum: I texted my buddy this new information, and he asked if wearing a solid blaze hoodie under his upland vest would suffice. I guess he wants to keep it for the padded shoulders. Can't say as I blame him; he's rather slight of build, and a slug kicks a lot harder than a bird shell. Reading the reg, this seems permissible. But is it really?

I would say no because the vest with brown is then covering up the orange of the hoody. Tell him to wear his vest under the hoody if he is that attached to his vest

Have him get one of the cheap vests that has velcro on the sides to wear over that vest and then he is good to go. Just don't get a mesh one because I don't think they are legal either.

I always wear a solid blaze hoodie under a solid blaze coat. If I pull off the coat, not only am I safe (other hunters can see me even if I’m field dressing or whatever), but I’m legal. Law is “The outside upper body garment must be solid blaze orange”.

You can list them; shirt, sweatshirt, vest, coat, coveralls... but it’s not about the garment, it’s the position, it’s an upper body garment that is the outside layer, and it must be solid blaze. It can’t be blaze body with brown sleeves, can’t have camo pockets, can’t have brown gussets on a blaze coat, it can’t be blaze camo, or have brown shell loops... It has to be solid blaze. I always wear multiple layers of solid blaze so that I can adjust and be safe and legal. A few bucks for a blaze hoodie is a good investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I would have him get one of those really cheap blaze vests with velcro n just put it over his upland jacket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom