Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Antler growth

srjdsmith

Everyone’s got an opinion, but has there ever been real research done? I, personally, believe that NOT every buck will develop a large set of antlers. Some bucks, due to genetics, will have smaller, narrower, more deeply curved antlers well inside their ears even in their prime. Shooting them takes them out of the gene pool. (Of course you don’t know if he’s just young or if he has genes for smaller antlers when you shoot him. I like venison and I like being in the woods, but I’m not a trophy hunter- I usually shoot a doe.)

Others believe that small “basket racks” are just a sign of a younger buck, or maybe older and past his prime, and that basically all bucks will develop large antlers in their prime- maybe 5 years old or so. So don’t shoot a six-point basket rack because he’ll be an impressive 10 in a couple of years.

So has research been done? Or is it just a matter of opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been lots of research done.... a simple google search will get you started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom