Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moving to NE Iowa soon and have some housing questions and looking to make some new connections.....

Falldreams

Hi everyone,

Pretty new to this forum but I have found it very informative, helpful, fun and a good group of people. Wasn't sure where to post this thread topic so I figured this was as good a spot as any. My soon to be fiancé and I are soon making a move from southern MI to NE Iowa (Allamakee and Clayton county area). I thought I would reach out here for a few new connections and maybe even some people who live up in that part of the state. Additionally will be looking for housing. We are homeowners here in Michigan but we are highly considering the idea of renting at first for awhile in Iowa until we plant more roots there. I do know that's a very quiet part of the state and not a lot in the way of cities, towns and population (which is perfect ;) However if anyone has any information or knows anyone in that area that might have a place to rent please give me a shout. For that matter any information, thoughts and ideas are excellent! Thank you!

Awesome!!!!!!!! I moved here from holland, MI. Darn near 20 years ago. Love it!!!
I didn’t end up in the BEST PART OF STATE!!!..... NE IOWA - but I still got into a good area.
Really love it.
RENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No doubt!!!!! Just get a low maintanence rental that’s cheap and take ur time. 6 months++ Before u will have idea what u wanna do.
Get to DOT for drivers license ASAP. Get ur residency and enjoy. It’s great here!!

****this is how I lived while single & working on farms. Lil junk apartment. Wife snapped pic before we moved out.
e8e5588cfdff1e82f1909f875ac9635a.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the move! I did the same recently and am loving it. Definitely rent first and get a lay of the land. And get your residency established as was mentioned.

Congrats on the move!

I just have to ask do you Michigan boys still cheer for the Lions?

Also from the Mitten! Iowa is not only great for the whitetails but has alot of very good people here, in fact a good chance you will make friends right here on this forum! Good luck!!!

And I never did root for the lions! I have been a vikes fan since birth! Heck in michigan, Lions fans dont even root for the lions!!!!!

Does Barry Sanders still play for them? Last I watched he did!! Go Barry!! Isiah Thomas has to be running the court with the Pistons too!! I haven’t checked in for a while but last I checked - Detroit was doing great things with sports. Great town to live in too!!!! Beautiful!!! ;):(o_O I can’t decide what’s better: Detroit as a city, the sports teams or hunting?!?!

Lot of MI transplants on here !! I can’t think of too many that go back!!

Does Barry Sanders still play for them? Last I watched he did!! Go Barry!! Isiah Thomas has to be running the court with the Pistons too!! I haven’t checked in for a while but last I checked - Detroit was doing great things with sports. Great town to live in too!!!! Beautiful!!! ;):(o_O I can’t decide what’s better: Detroit as a city, the sports teams or hunting?!?!

Lot of MI transplants on here !! I can’t think of too many that go back!!

Detroit is very beautiful, especially if your into boarded up factories, houses falling in on themselves, and the people are top notch! I mean Eminem is from there, so you know its good!!!!!!! There is literally nothing I would move back for....however MI does have some insane whitetail habitat, just no whitetails to inhabit it!

Good luck with your move. I haven't looked a lot but if you live in land from the river a little its much cheaper then right on the Mississippi.

Detroit is very beautiful, especially if your into boarded up factories, houses falling in on themselves, and the people are top notch! I mean Eminem is from there, so you know its good!!!!!!! There is literally nothing I would move back for....however MI does have some insane whitetail habitat, just no whitetails to inhabit it!

Eminem (LOL) "Trailer park girl goes round the outside"

I'm also a MI Transplant in a round about way. I've been an aviation Gypsy for the last 10 years (MT, ND, WI, and MI again for a bit) and hopefully this is the last move for a long time.
The regs are the most convoluted that I've encountered yet. I look at it as if you need a flow chart to track what licenses you can buy it's a bit over the top. Good people and conservative values seem to be the norm.

Awesome!!!!!!!! I moved here from holland, MI. Darn near 20 years ago. Love it!!!
I didn’t end up in the BEST PART OF STATE!!!..... NE IOWA - but I still got into a good area.
Really love it.
RENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No doubt!!!!! Just get a low maintanence rental that’s cheap and take ur time. 6 months++ Before u will have idea what u wanna do.
Get to DOT for drivers license ASAP. Get ur residency and enjoy. It’s great here!!

****this is how I lived while single & working on farms. Lil junk apartment. Wife snapped pic before we moved out.
e8e5588cfdff1e82f1909f875ac9635a.jpg

Thx for much appreciated thoughts and ideas!! This is of course a big move for us and a huge lifestyle change that we completely believe in and ready for. We are excited and nervous it's so cool!! Did you move out to Iowa on your own or with a girlfriend or fiancé/wife? Just curious is all. Having my soon to be fiancé fully on board and wanting it the same sure helps make it all abit easier.

Thx for much appreciated thoughts and ideas!! This is of course a big move for us and a huge lifestyle change that we completely believe in and ready for. We are excited and nervous it's so cool!! Did you move out to Iowa on your own or with a girlfriend or fiancé/wife? Just curious is all. Having my soon to be fiancé fully on board and wanting it the same sure helps make it all abit easier.

Michigan guys can move here...Michigan girls cannot though. It's a rule. :)

Ohhh man three things I definitely will NOT miss from Michigan...…..the professional sports teams, feet and feet of snow that lasts forever and the terrible deer hunting!! (age class herd structure and lack of hunting opportunities and and and....I could keep going).

Detroit…...what a lovely lovely place! hahaha :eek:

What towns are you looking at in Allamakee and Clayton?

Not looking at any particular towns. Pretty much anywhere within those two counties and area is good. Preferably something outside of a town would be first choice for sure. Otherwise the right place in a town would be ok also.

Top Bottom