Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

450 Bushmaster AR Pistol in Late Muzzleloader

We are talking about opening up a whole can of worms here, just remember the law of unintended consequences . Bump stocks anyone? o_O ( Are these banned yet? If not, I know guys that would think it was pretty cool to go full automatic on deer)
If everyone would just take out the old 30/06 and drop one calmly at 150 yards, rifles wouldn't be a problem. But we all know guys that will be lighting up the world at 50 mph out the window of the pickup firing at deer hundreds of yards away out of there combination ak57 Uzi radar laser triple barreled double scoped heat seeking AR ;)

You’ll never convince me that Iowa would be more “unsafe” if deer hunters were shooting bolt action .30-06’s. They certainly wouldn’t be shooting 3-4-5 shot barrages!

If we allow centerfire rifles most will NOT be shooting bolt-action 30-06. They will have AR style 308, 6.5 creedmor, etc with 30 round magazines or 338 Lapua long range sniper rifles capable of 1/2 mile shots easily. (Look how many people ran out and bought 450 Bushmasters to deer hunt with as soon as they changed that rule) I realize that centerfire rifles are used fairly safely for deer hunting in other states - but I don't think any of those other states allow large group Party hunting like we do. The two just don't seem to go together in my mind. I wish they'd just Leave Deer Season Alone! and quit adding seasons and weapons.

If we allow centerfire rifles most will NOT be shooting bolt-action 30-06. They will have AR style 308, 6.5 creedmor, etc with 30 round magazines or 338 Lapua long range sniper rifles capable of 1/2 mile shots easily.

That’s the whole point. Pennsylvania doesn’t allow semi-autos and we wouldn’t have to, either. Make the law say “bolt action or single shot” and it’s done- no semi-auto, no pump, no lever (I guess that ship has sailed). Combine that with a 5 round limit and all your fears are addressed. And no need to allow 7mm mag or .300 Weatherby; make the list of rifles like there’s a list of shotgun gauges, handguns, and straight-walled rifles. The “people would be shooting Howitzers” argument makes no sense if you do what’s already been done and list what would be legal.

Anyway, it’s academic argument because I can’t see the legislature ever allowing more rifle hunting, so you win. (I recently developed a good contact in Wisconsin, so I’ll take my .30-06 up there and hunt with it and I win, too.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you want to be as a state? Do you want to be awesome, then quit adding more rifle options, if you want to be good to above average...then allow more rifle type weapons. Every time you add an advantage to the hunter, the quality is hurt (simple).

It’s interesting because I told someone that I thought Iowa’s shotgun regulation is, and always has been, about limiting effectiveness and not about safety, and that the safety argument is really just an excuse. The guy wigged out on me, ranting about how I didn’t know anything about guns, and how shotgun slugs are no different than rifles.

But you all seem to agree about effectiveness? Seems like you’re saying, “Yes, we DO want to limit effectiveness, and only allowing shotguns, and not rifles, is the way to do it!”

Sorry you’re disappointed by the new “straight-walled cartridge” allowance, but I seriously don’t think you need to worry that the legislature and DNR are ever going to allow much more rifle hunting in Iowa. I wouldn’t be surprised, or disappointed, to see more limitations coming- magazine capacity, etc.

Pennsylvania doesn’t allow semi-autos

Yes PA does allow semi-auto weapons including AR-15's and the majority of hunters opposed it but it passed anyway in 2017.

It's not a good scenario so fight to keep them banned. Too many nut bags out in rifle season here that unload at running deer no matter if it's a semi, pump or bolt. A lot of hunters don't think about the surroundings or other hunters, they just want a deer that bad that all common sense and ethics goes out the window.

This is the reason I stopped hunting gun season and public land many years ago.

I guess my cousin jimmy will have to pile up 5 does with 5 shots with his bolt 30-06 at 1-300 yards instead of 5 with the pump mossberg in one drive gol dangit

Anyway, it’s academic argument because I can’t see the legislature ever allowing more rifle hunting, so you win. (I recently developed a good contact in Wisconsin, so I’ll take my .30-06 up there and hunt with it and I win, too.)

Have fun in Wisconsin. To bad you don't have to wait 3 or 4 years to draw a tag and pay 800.00 for it.

You know he was a cowardly cheater who ended up dead in a pool of his own blood, right? Not sure I’d use him as my mascot.

You know he was a cowardly cheater who ended up dead in a pool of his own blood, right? Not sure I’d use him as my mascot.

Ya I watched the movie!
He’s not my mascot and never will be. My point was made and I’m proud of it.

Last edited:
Most would agree that Iowa is a special place to hunt deer, and it didn't get that way by having regulations like every other state. The two biggest factors in the quality of deer Iowa has had are no gun hunting during the peak rut and limited range of the guns allowed. I work with guys from all over the country, and those that hunt are well aware and envious of the bucks Iowa produces. I am willing to bet many would trade using a rifle to have a legitimate chance at a 150 or bigger buck every year. It is highly doubtful Iowa would have the quality of deer it does if rifles had been allowed for the last 10, 20, or 50 years. It is obvious many are excited about the increased opportunity with more weapon choices, but I wonder for what reason? I doubt most are buying 450s with the idea of making more ethical shots on does. Setup right, a shotgun is plenty accurate out past 100 yards. My goal while hunting any game is to get as close as possible, whether getting a mature buck inside 20 yards while bowhunting or getting a rooster to flush from underfoot. If I cannot get within 150 yards of a deer, do I really deserve to harvest it? Most days they win and I am alright with that. These increased opportunity regulations are pushed by gun and ammo companies that only care about dollars. Not much point in arguing about straight walls as they are here to stay, the question is where will it stop?

Evidence against the argument shotguns are inaccurate, 80 and 120 yards.
60d1d6cd63d4bbffa2945429830fb650.jpg
80adfc0f4e65827147211e184b8a26f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most would agree that Iowa is a special place to hunt deer, and it didn't get that way by having regulations like every other state. The two biggest factors in the quality of deer Iowa has had are no gun hunting during the peak rut and limited range of the guns allowed. I work with guys from all over the country, and those that hunt are well aware and envious of the bucks Iowa produces. I am willing to bet many would trade using a rifle to have a legitimate chance at a 150 or bigger buck every year. It is highly doubtful Iowa would have the quality of deer it does if rifles had been allowed for the last 10, 20, or 50 years. It is obvious many are excited about the increased opportunity with more weapon choices, but I wonder for what reason? I doubt most are buying 450s with the idea of making more ethical shots on does. Setup right, a shotgun is plenty accurate out past 100 yards. My goal while hunting any game is to get as close as possible, whether getting a mature buck inside 20 yards while bowhunting or getting a rooster to flush from underfoot. If I cannot get within 150 yards of a deer, do I really deserve to harvest it? Most days they win and I am alright with that. These increased opportunity regulations are pushed by gun and ammo companies that only care about dollars. Not much point in arguing about straight walls as they are here to stay, the question is where will it stop?

Evidence against the argument shotguns are inaccurate, 80 and 120 yards.
60d1d6cd63d4bbffa2945429830fb650.jpg
80adfc0f4e65827147211e184b8a26f5.jpg

I bought a 450 to make more ethical shots on running deer. Gone are the days of the slow old hunk of lead guessing your lead and hitting mid body or way back. With the 450 you only have to hold on the neck or about 6” in front depending on distance of a deer going full tilt and it will put it through both shoulder blades. Took a lot of guessing out of the equation. I figure if I can’t hit a deer while it’s running and aware of danger do I really deserve to harvest it? They still win sometimes, just not as often as they used to. Different strokes for different folks.

Couldn't have been said better!

I love the ethics police that say shooting at a running deer is unethical. I bet 95 percent of them that say that , have no problem emptying 20 rounds out of an AR 15 at a running coyote .

I love the ethics police that say shooting at a running deer is unethical. I bet 95 percent of them that say that , have no problem emptying 20 rounds out of an AR 15 at a running coyote .
Is it even sporting to shoot at deer standing still? I thought a warning shot was common practice to get em moving

Talked with Madison CO today and he confirmed that it's perfectly legal as long as it falls into the legal definition. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom