Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early shed season

hans1

Not sure if others are seeing the same thing but there is a unusually high number of bucks shed in some areas of Appanoose, Monroe and lucas county’s where I hunt. Have seen a few other killed 2nd gun who’s antlers fell off soon after harvest. Not sure as to why but in 25 years of being in the area most I have ever seen this early. Be careful if you are out to shoot does.

I was going to say might be do to all that snow and nasty winter weather we got so early... I still have a buck bow tag to fill so untill that happens sheds are on the back burner haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see Allamakee leads the way with over 20 shed bucks and over 3000 deer killed. Clayton county has over 4000 I believe killed. Funny thing is the county I live in, and the county I own ground in, and even a buddies county has less than 1200 deer total between all 3. I hunt Allamakee as I have 30 acres there, I just cannot believe that many deer are being killed. I know my farm is hurting bad compared to two years ago I’m sitting with 5 open tags yet

I see Allamakee leads the way with over 20 shed bucks and over 3000 deer killed. Clayton county has over 4000 I believe killed. Funny thing is the county I live in, and the county I own ground in, and even a buddies county has less than 1200 deer total between all 3. I hunt Allamakee as I have 30 acres there, I just cannot believe that many deer are being killed. I know my farm is hurting bad compared to two years ago I’m sitting with 5 open tags yet

Why is the harvest up so much? CWD stuff?

^^I assume they are making the push for that. And dont get me wrong, there are a lot more deer in that area, but I just cant seem to wrap my head around those numbers compared to my "home" area..Like I said, the family has 30 acres in Allamakee, this was by far the worst year for deer numbers there..

I have been checking the shed buck
Total on the DNR site up to 345 as of this am not sure how that compares to
Other years but seems high to
Me

Sitting in the blind last night I spotted a good shed laying 50 yards from the blind. Was off an older target buck we wanted the kids to get.

Lots of shed bucks here. Every year I see em come December. I’d say I’m seeing 25-50% more than normal this year. Who the heck knows why?!?! If u wanna boil it down to basics..... relate it to STRESS. Illness, lack of food, injury, drought, horrid weather, ehd survivors, RUTTING HARD, combo of some of this etc. my area- I’m going to take a GUESS on this.... what changed???? We did have a winter that went late and stopped food from growing or planted by 3-4 weeks. Possibly part of it. My place is higher on does than last few years. (Ehd recovered, no late shed buck season, maybe not shooting enough, overall healthy herd that’s reproduced well).... it could be the bucks got spread out too thin breeding does. MAYBE. Yet- we’ve shot some management bucks that weighed in at 195-210 lbs gutted in last few weeks so nothing looked extremely worn down.
Stress of some type but I honestly cannot put my finger on it with certainty as no one answer adds up or makes sense completely.
Watch close what u shooting!!!! To guys on here that’s common sense. “Every day hunters” or new hunters - uggghhh - not gonna happen.

Example buck... this one was “easy”. I think his back right leg had injury. This was 1-2 weeks ago ballpark.
90ee1a0802e3c22def670cc543000024.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom