Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"FOOD" for thought??... CWD & Never eating venison again?!?!?

I’m concerned as everyone. I do remember the big risk/warnings about mercury in fish from the Mississippi River. Only eat it once a week or month, can’t remember.

Then I read a story in the same paper of a river rat, the guy lived on the river and ate fish every day he could. The story ended by saying he died at 101 years old.

I’m concerned as everyone. I do remember the big risk/warnings about mercury in fish from the Mississippi River. Only eat it once a week or month, can’t remember.

Then I read a story in the same paper of a river rat, the guy lived on the river and ate fish every day he could. The story ended by saying he died at 101 years old.

See, that Mercury finally caught up with him.

so lets say for the sake of conversation that your on the side of not eating an infected animal...you shoot a deer it gets tested and has it...what are you supposed to do? throw it in the ditch? isnt that want n waste? Could you call your dnr officer and say that you have an infected animal and your not going to eat it so you threw it away?

I am still going to continue to eat them because well we all die at some point or another so i guess id be ok with knowing something i loved killed me...just food for thought

I think it is definitely something to be concerned about. I've never heard of any issues of people consuming meat from areas out west that have had CWD for a long time. CWD appears to be all over WI from some of the maps I have seen, what do people there do? What do the lockers in these areas do? I assume these lockers also butcher beef, pork, etc using the same equipment.

Is it something that you could get in your system, but don't see any complications for years down the road. As of now the areas of the state I hunt have no positive results, but then again, how many deer harvested in central IA are even tested. I am willing to bet far more counties are affected than what we know in IA.

I agree, I really hope our DNR does not continue the method of killing as many deer as they can in the areas it is in. I think more hunters need educated on that subject of just because you kill the deer does not mean the disease/prions are gone. To many hunters will think they are god's saving grace, that they are out doing good by shooting a bunch of deer to help get rid of CWD, when in reality in the long term that doesn't do a thing to stop it.

so lets say for the sake of conversation that your on the side of not eating an infected animal...you shoot a deer it gets tested and has it...what are you supposed to do? throw it in the ditch? isnt that want n waste? Could you call your dnr officer and say that you have an infected animal and your not going to eat it so you threw it away?

I am still going to continue to eat them because well we all die at some point or another so i guess id be ok with knowing something i loved killed me...just food for thought
Testing results wouldn't even come back until said deer was in your freezer.

....and there is no live test for CDW... at least that I know of. Takes a head off a dead deer.

There is a live test for CWD. Rectal mucosal biopsy or tonsillar biopsy. There are two problems with this, getting a wild deer to hold still long enough to get a rectal biopsy is kind of dicey. I'm not gonna be the guy at the rectal end. The other is the drugs used to tranquilize the deer are very hard on the deer with mortality of the deer that has been tranquilized is a possibility. I have read that they overheat. It is also much cheaper to test dead deer.

When you ponder it, tonsils are lymph nodes as well. When you gut a deer and IF are good enough to find the spleen I would think you could send that in to be tested for CWD. The problem there is the labs don't want to deal with tissues that aren't what you think they are. Instead of spleen, tonsils or retropharyngeal lymph nodes the lab gets liver, tongue or salivary gland. They can't test it but still need to charge for the test.

The other night in Peosta a member of the audience asked about a test they saw on the internet. You could send in a sample of the blood from the deer and they would test it. The basis of the question was is the test reliable. The response was "No". The test hasn't been approved by whoever approves lab testing (USDA?) for CWD. The test found false positives and false negatives at too high a rate to be approved.

IF your deer is tested and it comes back positive for CWD the DNR will contact you and offer to come get the meat and dispose of it for you. Throwing it in the ditch is about the last thing you wanna do.

On that note, if you butcher your own and don't have it tested for CWD please don't dispose of the carcass on the back 40. Take it to a land fill or a DNR dumpster.

On the bright side the long dragging out times would cease.... just cape it out and go home

Not sure I understand how shooting a deer on your own property, butchering it and then tossing the carcass in one of your ravines is a problem. If it was infected it would have left prions all over your property already.

Not sure I understand how shooting a deer on your own property, butchering it and then tossing the carcass in one of your ravines is a problem. If it was infected it would have left prions all over your property already.

That is very true. The same could be said for gutting a deer and leaving the guts on the landscape. I asked that very question at a CWD meeting in Rochester and the answer was just what you said. It was leaving prions anyway, but now the deer won't disperse to another area. I boils down to asking yourself "What can I do to help slow the spread?" and not putting untested or positive carcasses back on the land is something we can do.

One of the videos said Land fills are refusing to take these deer. The video from Texas brought up the thought that as this disease gets more exposure to other Countries they may refuse crops from CWD areas and States. deer are infected in Iowa. They eat crops in Iowa fields. They defecate in crop fields. CWD comes up into crops. Follow the logic. Countries refuse crops from Iowa. Could happen.

I’ve always questioned how a butcher shop would separate clean deer from CWD...the answer...they don’t, and can’t. And the other thing that always pops in my mind is the ethical question of sharing meat. How many of us bring sausage or bologna to events/gatherings? Could it have CWD? When will CWD take the leap into humans? I’m worried about our future hunting.

I know this post is getting to be old news,,but in case anyone reads this here is food for thought. Heard on the news that one in ten people in the US over the age of 65 will come down with Alzheimers. Think I am not so worried about getting CWD.

In reality Alzheimer’s is CWD. You go plumb stupid and waste away. My mother has went from 165 lbs - 82 lbs.

More food for thought is that CWD is a tool being used by the “balance of nature” crowd. They want wolves in all 48 states. Think I am off my rocker? The CWD biologists are already pushing that cats can get it from deer,(bobcats and cougars are screwed), BUT canines can’t get it!!! Of course they will prey only on the weaker CWD deer, so therefore wolves will be necessary in all 48 states.

As a biologist once told me, “Humans are nothing more than an over evolved mammal, that has evolved to far for the good of the planet. “

In reality Alzheimer’s is CWD. You go plumb stupid and waste away. My mother has went from 165 lbs - 82 lbs.

More food for thought is that CWD is a tool being used by the “balance of nature” crowd. They want wolves in all 48 states. Think I am off my rocker? The CWD biologists are already pushing that cats can get it from deer,(bobcats and cougars are screwed), BUT canines can’t get it!!! Of course they will prey only on the weaker CWD deer, so therefore wolves will be necessary in all 48 states.

As a biologist once told me, “Humans are nothing more than an over evolved mammal, that has evolved to far for the good of the planet. “
I read some info on this that it is likely that late onset CJD and vCJD may be misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's.

Balance of Nature Crowd,,and the Farm Bureau and Insurance companies. Don't forget them. I am sure they are as happy as can be about the prospect of deer dying off! Biologist was wrong. Man is more than an evolved Mammal. He is t a fallen creation of GOD. Chose disobedience,, and the mess we are in is the result.

I know of a shotgun group up here that took deer to locker for processing. A few weeks later they got test results back and had a cwd positive. Called locker and said they had a positive and didnt want the meat. Locker said it had already been mixed with dozens of other deer so its no big deal your technically not getting your deer anyway. They picked up the deer and gave it to someone that wasnt concerned about cwd.

Fact of the matter is there are deer being transported all over the state and I guarantee the majority dont put the carcusses in a landfill. As the positives spread and testing spreads throughout state you will see there is cwd all over the state.

Our late rifle season in Allamakee going on now has high participation from guys all across the state as we speak.

Keeping CWD contained where its at currently is laughable.

Keeping CWD contained where its at currently is laughable.

I couldn't agree more. The epitome of pissing in the wind. I believe CDW is real. I believe it is a threat. I believe the so called "management plans" are a complete joke. I believe mother natures management plan would be far better than anything any state agency in the Midwest has proposed or implemented to date.

Top Bottom