Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cedar

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
Has anyone ever had deer eat the foliage off a cedar trees as high up as they can reach? I've never had this happen. Its along the inside of a road screen. Not sure that the trees will come back where this happened.
cedar 2.jpeg

Browsing is the majority of what deer it in the winter and happens every year. Obviously some years are worse due to snowfall, etc. but makes up 70-80% of the winter diet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever had deer eat the foliage off a cedar trees as high up as they can reach?

You bet, some years not so much but during sever winters they will hammer them. I've dropped a few in bad winters and they are on them like flies. Some areas you can see the browse line, the cedars might grow a very small amount where they were browsed off but they will never be the same.

Thw White Cedar of Northern Michigan they love in Winter. Had them nip very young red cedar here in Iowa but not much. Think. Theyd have to be VERY hungry to attack these prickly spicy red cedar

As 203 said, some years yes, some not at all. The more severe the winter the more they hit the cedars in my experience. 09 and 10 winter witnessed it a lot due to heavy late snows in central and SW iowa.

Top Bottom