Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

John Deere Hydro vs. Power Reverser

JBAGS

Hey guys, looking for opinions on transmission choice for a JD 5065E. Used ones I have been looking at are from 2015-2017 models. I'm not really up on this stuff too much but have done a little reading on it. Wondering if anyone has experience with either or have knowledge of some differences when using in the field.
Pro's and Con's, reliability, etc.
Thanks

I had a 5085E (maybe an M?) a few years ago with the 12/12 power reverser. I only put around 180 hours on it. Never had a lick of trouble with the transmission. Shifted ranges and gears easily but the best part was the power reverser. Made grapple work and pushing snow easy. It took awhile for me to quit mashing on the clutch every time I wanted to backup or go forward. As I recall I could set the roll out on the reverser and I'd have it set differently for snow and grapple. I could run the loader joy stick with one hand, steer and run the reverser with the other, I didn't have to take my hand off the wheel to shift. Just like a bright/dim headlight switch on a (modern) car.

But like I said I only had 180 hours on it when I traded it in for a smaller E-hydro tractor.

In this series I would go with power reverser. I would do some major research on the E series. They are the economy version and tend to not be built extremely well. I've heard a few horror stories on their durability. Buddy works county conservation and they have one. Not positive but it might have been the same model you are looking at and they sent it back right away for and still have issues with it. He said its half the tractor of their others. When I was looking for a smaller tractor I originally was looking at the 38E until I drove one. A lot might depend what and how hard you are going to work it.

In this series I would go with power reverser. I would do some major research on the E series. They are the economy version and tend to not be built extremely well. I've heard a few horror stories on their durability. Buddy works county conservation and they have one. Not positive but it might have been the same model you are looking at and they sent it back right away for and still have issues with it. He said its half the tractor of their others. When I was looking for a smaller tractor I originally was looking at the 38E until I drove one. A lot might depend what and how hard you are going to work it.

Was it the 5000 frame size E series they had issues with. Do you remember what the problems were? I have heard some things with smaller tractors but have also read that once you get to this frame size (5000) it’s pretty good. I understand they still classify it as E (Economy) but It won’t be a daily use tractor. More food plots, small planter, disc, brush hog etc work.

I like the E series! Simple & powerful. BUT.... it could be “bad lots” during certain years or models. They are made in the same factory as a lot of other tractors- like Mahindra, etc. I forget where.... Asia maybe.
M’s are generally made in Germany. R’s are made in Waterloo & IL. D’s are made in Mexico. I’ve run M’s & R’s - pretty happy with em.
I’ve had a lil toy 5000 series with clutch 4 forwards & a,b,c gears & reverse. 10+ years and still great. I’m sure there’s some bad models or years though. I’m not saying other brands don’t have good units either. Loader, 5000 frame & mfwd- those rascals can get stuff done!

Can you elaborate on what you have heard? What things do the M series have that you think makes them much better?
I guess I shouldn't make such broad statements. I know two people, personally, that have had significant issues with new tractors In the last 2 years. Maybe that is a coincidence. Both had engine issues related to the new emission stuff (maybe not isolated to E series) and one of them just hasn't held up, but he was using for small cattle operation which seems to be a "hard life" for a tractor. I think tier 4 when into affect on tractors under 75 HP in 2016. Started in 2014 with larger units. Larger tractors tend to be running more wide open (Big ag) so makes sense less issues. People are starting to tune tractors, doing EGR deletes, etc..... for good reason.

Probably same goes for me. My buddies won't stop leaking antifreeze. His local dealership can't fix it. Also was sent back right away because all the underneath welds on the loader weren't done. So basically half the loader wasn't welded properly. He also says it has half the power his other tractors have that are similar HP.

I guess I shouldn't make such broad statements. I know two people, personally, that have had significant issues with new tractors In the last 2 years. Maybe that is a coincidence. Both had engine issues related to the new emission stuff (maybe not isolated to E series) and one of them just hasn't held up, but he was using for small cattle operation which seems to be a "hard life" for a tractor. I think tier 4 when into affect on tractors under 75 HP in 2016. Started in 2014 with larger units. Larger tractors tend to be running more wide open (Big ag) so makes sense less issues. People are starting to tune tractors, doing EGR deletes, etc..... for good reason.

Thanks for feedback. The emission stuff is a joke. Chokes diesel's up so much they can't perform like they should

Probably same goes for me. My buddies won't stop leaking antifreeze. His local dealership can't fix it. Also was sent back right away because all the underneath welds on the loader weren't done. So basically half the loader wasn't welded properly. He also says it has half the power his other tractors have that are similar HP.

I read another guy had an antifreeze issue. Kept coming out of the overflow. Not sure what's up with that. Always hate hearing stories that the dealership can't fix it.
The power being down I would bet is because of emission stuff. Maybe I should look for a older model M that is pre emissions

Mine is pre-emissions and that doesn’t surprise me!!! Hate that garbage.
Same thing happened with a couple years of tracked bobcats.... few years they were sissy-machines. A few guys said the 2019’s are better. But- couple years in there u wouldn’t want one.
Obama just keeps on contributing all these wonderful things even while out of office!!!

The difference between the hydro vs power reverser is really going to be dependent on what your using the machine for. For food plotting and loader work I would recommend the power reverser.

So maybe i can shed a little bit of light of these machine and their durability(i know a little about john deere).
We do not see a ton of issues with the 5 series of machines comparatively to other models. The main reason is i dont believe they are being used and abused the same way. Most people purchase a machine large enough to handle the task they are looking to perform. So what Im saying is dont purchase a 75 hp tractor to perform a 150 hp tractor job. It just wont work out in the long run.

One of the largest issues we see in the newer machines are regeneration issues. Guys operate the machine and see it needs to perform a regen and then they shut the machine down and dont let it complete. Well these machines will only allow you to do that so many times before they "shut" down.

Another thing you need to think about is how available is DEF in your operation? Does your pickup have DEF? or is this machine the only piece that will be using it. DEF will then become another expense and typically guys will buy "cheap" DEF because they just dont need much and YES there is cheap DEF and trust me you dont want to run that crap!!!!!!!!!!!

For food plotting and light farm work a 5E will suit you just fine! But be aware that an E is a base line model and wont have any bells or whistles.

The difference between the hydro vs power reverser is really going to be dependent on what your using the machine for. For food plotting and loader work I would recommend the power reverser.

So maybe i can shed a little bit of light of these machine and their durability(i know a little about john deere).
We do not see a ton of issues with the 5 series of machines comparatively to other models. The main reason is i dont believe they are being used and abused the same way. Most people purchase a machine large enough to handle the task they are looking to perform. So what Im saying is dont purchase a 75 hp tractor to perform a 150 hp tractor job. It just wont work out in the long run.

One of the largest issues we see in the newer machines are regeneration issues. Guys operate the machine and see it needs to perform a regen and then they shut the machine down and dont let it complete. Well these machines will only allow you to do that so many times before they "shut" down.

Another thing you need to think about is how available is DEF in your operation? Does your pickup have DEF? or is this machine the only piece that will be using it. DEF will then become another expense and typically guys will buy "cheap" DEF because they just dont need much and YES there is cheap DEF and trust me you dont want to run that crap!!!!!!!!!!!

For food plotting and light farm work a 5E will suit you just fine! But be aware that an E is a base line model and wont have any bells or whistles.

Thanks for the feedback. My main reason for going to a 5065 is to have enough juice and not kill the machine on my projects. Anything too big, I will have the someone else do it with the right equipment.
I am used to using DEF, have a diesel Pickup.

You have any knowledge on the coolant issues you read about? Coming out of the overflow quite often. Running hot, etc.
I would say from my reading, this is the most reoccurring thing I have come across.

I own a 5065e. I have put around 500 hours on it doing food plots and brush hogging. Also had a small antifreeze leak but was do to hose clamps not being tight enough after machine got some hours on it. I'm very pleased overall with the machine and I do have the power reverser which is great.

I own a 5065e. I have put around 500 hours on it doing food plots and brush hogging. Also had a small antifreeze leak but was do to hose clamps not being tight enough after machine got some hours on it. I'm very pleased overall with the machine and I do have the power reverser which is great.

That's encouraging to hear. Sounds like the hose clamps on the coolant lines happend to A LOT of people.
Thanks for the feedback

Top Bottom