Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Modern Rifles in Iowa

It's stupid to think ML's can shoot 500 yards, first off.... Rifles can't even do that in a hunting situation....That being said rifles will ruin what you have in Iowa. If it's open for a long time, it will give every jackass a chance to fill their grandmothers tags, then their wives tags, then aunties tags etc, till all the big bucks are gone. The good thing is it will make the non residents not want to come, and pretty soon you'll have the state to yourselves again to shoot dink bucks...

Lol It’s not stupid at all they can shoot further than that with the right optics, loads and shooter.

Lol It’s not stupid at all they can shoot further than that with the right optics, loads and shooter.

Yes it is , in a hunting situation....It's just not something the average hunter is going to be able to do nor should they. Not saying it isn't possible...

If they allow rifle cartridges with a “shoulder” (and I hope they don’t), I would like to see them also limit the kinds of rifles that can be used. They already publish a list of allowable shotgun gauges and pistol cartridges and (the currently legal) rifle cartridges. Why not a similar list of legal cartridges? There’s no need for 7mm mag or .338 win mag or .300 wby mag... etc. So just don’t allow them. I would also support limiting to no semi-automatics. I would even go for bolt action or single shot only. We already have far too many yahoos who blast away with five-shot barrages from the trusty ol’ Remington 1100 shooting at running does. We don’t need the same idiot shooting an AR10/.308 or .30-06 BAR.

Yeah. I just hope they don’t legalize them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Spysar , your welcome at my range anytime ! We will see who’s stupid for thinking my custom muzzleloader set up won’t shoot 500 yards lol !!!! Or anybody else that has spent the time and money to become proficient with one !

I feel that going with the worst case scenario about what will happen with the rifle season... My hunt will get ruined etc. The majority of hunters are ethical so why should some assholes who are out there already wounding deer and poaching ruin it for the good guys. Just like how some assholes want to go in shoot some poor defensless kids or people praying that that should speak for anybody with a gun. Along the same lines i feel. We need to keep people interested in hunting and be able to use weapons they are comfortable with

I feel that going with the worst case scenario about what will happen with the rifle season...

We need to keep people interested in hunting and be able to use weapons they are comfortable with

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you’re saying. I was VERY unhappy for years being restricted to the legal weapons in Iowa.

I experimented with .50 muzzle loader- accurate and long range, but twice (once in the rain) had a hang-fire or no-fire, things that rarely happen with modern arms. Once I shot a coyote, which is good for both wild and domestic animals, but couldn’t reload fast enough to shoot the buck that popped up and stood there looking at me.

I tried pistol, but I’m a much better shot with a shouldered weapon. I killed deer, but I’m more confident and feel like a better steward of the herd when harvesting animals with a gun that I feel kills more quickly and reliably.

I finally went to a rifled barrel and cantilevered scope- but in the end you’re still slinging cannon balls out of a pheasant gun. We DO need to keep hunters engaged and shotgun slugs are a poor way to do it.

But, as to the worst case scenario, it’s already happening. When I hear (blam! blam! blam!... blam! blam!) it makes me want to dig a fox hole! I HATE the 20 or 30 member party hunters that blast away at anything that moves. The non-Iowans (including in this thread above) who think that rifles will destroy the deer herd have never seen a party of 25 guys with 30 deer piled in pickup trucks (because they “filled a tag” for the farmer and his wife and his niece in DesMoines and his grandmother...) and 2/3 of the deer are young does riddled with slug holes.

Shooting a buck kills the buck, but shooting a young doe kills her and her twins for the next five, or more, years. And if you give an Iowa party hunter the option to shoot a center-fire semi-automatic rifle, he’ll shoot it the same way he shoots grampaw’s trusty old Remington.

Come to think of it, maybe then there’ll be a lot less party hunters in a few years...

I say leave it at ‘straight walled’ rifle cartridges and ban party hunting.

Sooo rifles may be coming to Iowa. We'll at least the IBA has been working hard to prevent the real threats like blood trailing dogs and landowner tags good for additional seasons. Lol.

Sooo rifles may be coming to Iowa. We'll at least the IBA has been working hard to prevent the real threats like blood trailing dogs and landowner tags good for additional seasons. Lol.

Mark, thanks for the observations but the IBA is not preventing tracking dogs. To the best of our knowledge one legislator is. Floating landowner tags will have a negative impact on the FWTF and we are trying to prevent an amendment to that bill that will allow all NR owners floating tags as well. At this point the proposed amendment is a rumor albeit a strong one.

I would also recommend directly following groups like Iowa Firearms Coalition (IFC) and NRA-ILA. These two groups are very active in lobbying in Iowa. You can get on their email list and contact them when you agree or disagree with something.
I have a feeling/theory that these groups are trying to get modern sporting rifles better entrenched in hunting to help solidify their position. The more uses AR's have, the easier it is to justify their place in our society.

The problem I have with these groups is that they are die hard gun people and not die hard sportsman, so things like herd management or QDMA is something they don't know about. Their concern is for their gun rights and gun rights alone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Let's put it right in the middle of rut while we're at it.

That’s right , a month long season. Then people would be calm about it , all the time they need , a gun that shoots a ways accurately , no pressure to blast up the area. Think about it ..... it’s a no brainer !!! Now cram it into a weekend or a couple weekends and that provokes the mentality for a lot of the stupid moves people make. One month , one rifle , one shot ! Take your time , there will be plenty of other opportunity’s type of hunt.

Can use: pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders, straight wall rifles, bow & arrow, crossbows late season + elderly/disabled. Sept 15 to Jan 10 (& soon to be to February 1). There’s no “OPPORTUNITY” issue here!!! That’s the biggest joke of the whole thing.

I’d argue, with facts, Opportunity will be LOST due to this bill. Fewer people will allow guns on there land period (anyone disagree????). More people will buy land with the mindset “oh crap, legislature is still going nuts, I Better buy land to insulate from this madness”. Or leasing for same reason. Access will continue to get worse. (Anyone disagree????). The “every day guy” thinks this will be more “shooting fun” while the reality is- they will be the ones getting killed with all these crazy new regs & fewer (& less quality) places to go. Big “rich guys” (some of society hates & demonizes) will not be horribly impacted by this. The average situation & majority of hunting areas will take brunt of this garbage & continue to degrade. Degrade to the next tier down until they bring out the next new “OPPORTUNITY” Bill that allows __________. & it never ends.

Can use: pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders, straight wall rifles, bow & arrow, crossbows late season + elderly/disabled. Sept 15 to Jan 10 (& soon to be to February 1). There’s no “OPPORTUNITY” issue here!!! That’s the biggest joke of the whole thing.

I’d argue, with facts, Opportunity will be LOST due to this bill. Fewer people will allow guns on there land period (anyone disagree????). More people will buy land with the mindset “oh crap, legislature is still going nuts, I Better buy land to insulate from this madness”. Or leasing for same reason. Access will continue to get worse. (Anyone disagree????). The “every day guy” thinks this will be more “shooting fun” while the reality is- they will be the ones getting killed with all these crazy new regs & fewer (& less quality) places to go. Big “rich guys” (some of society hates & demonizes) will not be horribly impacted by this. The average situation & majority of hunting areas will take brunt of this garbage & continue to degrade. Degrade to the next tier down until they bring out the next new “OPPORTUNITY” Bill that allows __________. & it never ends.
EXACTLY what I thought when I first read about this being "opportunity" driven. In fact I'd guess more iowa residents have shotguns and muzzy already so dusting off the trusty centerfire that everyone normally uses as mentioned doesn't make sense in Iowa IMO.

Last edited:
It’s going to take BIG farms to insulate from this in the long run. They may not see the quality decrease as fast but eventually everybody would be affected.

Can’t say any of this surprises me. The brown it’s down crowd has nothing to lose. I said it before years ago. If the quality of hunt goes down they wont care because if it’s still brown it’s down. The ones that are invested in qdm are the ones up in arms about this because they stand to lose the most although still claiming they will be least affected. Problem is weekend warriors and brown it’s down crowd have the numbers.

This could go a couple different ways if it passes. As skip stated above ppl could buy into the fact that the only way they will have great hunting is to purchase land to insulate themselves from the chaos and that would cause other ppl to lose opportunity. Or Iowa deer hunting could go to shit and ppl would bail on leases and ownership opening up opportunity. Either way if this passes the quality will eventually go down wether you own 1k+ acres or nothing. Bad for the future of Iowa deer hunting but unfortunately I believe it’s only a matter of time.

The direction this is going its going to shut down the small farms that do allow neighbors to hunt and you will see more leasing and more neighbors banning together to form co ops. / agrrements which will grow into huge blocks of basic qdm areas! And the one who will suffer are the ones there trying to help ! The non land owner !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

This is right on the money, I am thinking the groups wanting deer numbers down more might be pushing this as well. The only kind of up side I can see might be rifle legal in shotgun season but no more party hunting which would never happen. With the way sportsmen opposed the recent bill that still got passed anyway the only thing that might sway them from this is pointing out the NR license will drop dramatically after 2 years, so money lost.

Either way some of these new bills coming out make things not look to bright.

This is the most I've felt dejected about the future of deer hunting in this state... ever. Speaking out, emails, etc seems to do nothing. The politicians only seem to listen to lobbyist. It's just terrible. I would encourage anyone with a platform to use it and speak out intelligently on this. This is absolutely a terrible thought, but the only way I see this stopping is if there is a year with multiple deaths in the Iowa timber from people getting shot while pushing with AR's or whatever. I don't think a lot of native Iowan's realize that Iowa is about the only state left that I know of that the primary firearm hunting style is deer drives. QDM aside, deer drives+ rifles= bad news IMO.

Top Bottom