Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Modern Rifles in Iowa

Party hunting or deer drives? They are not one in the same.....
Sorry meant deer drives. Had one farmer who let only me in after getting to know me and that with a bow only that said his wife was almost shot just outside her house from a deer drive. Couple shots hit the house. Now imagine that with rifles, that will not be good at all.

Party hunting or deer drives? They are not one in the same.....
Exactly and theres no way deer drives will stop. They do them in Wisconsin with high powers but Iowa is a different animal. I see bad news safety wise if they are allowed. People use to a slug only going a certain distance will be lobbing rifle rounds and its gonna get western.

Posted this in other thread too. Please write in folks!!!
WOW!!!! I believe this is accurate.... please correct me if I’m wrong ..... passed to me from a guy in this district....
This Bill or Legislation has been pushed by Matt Windschitl from Harrison county. Same guy who pushed to get straight wall cartridges through. HIS DAD OWNS A GUN SHOP.
If true- this is the SAME GUY that said he wanted straight wall cartridges because he cared about his kids having firearms that didn’t have a lot of recoil & allowed them to hunt. Same guy that while pushing straight walls last year said he wouldn’t want anything beyond that.
Of course this bill has huge support from our pals at farm bureau. No surprise there.
Please correct me if this information is not right. There’s so many reasons this bill stinks but this is just yet another reason these politicians gotta be stopped with their insanity at the expense of our resource!!

Here are my talking points. Modify them as you wish:

1. This is nothing more than a stepping stone to full inclusion of all rifle calibers into Iowa's gun seasons. This exact playbook has been used by lobbyist in other states. There are small incremental changes until full rifle inclusion is allowed. Go look at the law changes in Indiana over the past 5 years. This is exactly what happened and the hunting has been degraded. Don't let Iowa become "just another state".
2. Iowa is one of the few states that the traditional gun hunting method is pushing deer. Pushing deer and rifles do not mix. This is going to kill people, livestock, etc.
3. The current straight wall law limits cartridge lengths to 1.8". HF716 does not. The 416 Barrett, for example, is used in war to kill at distances of 2 miles. How can this be a good idea?
4. This bill is being sold and "creating more opportunity". That is complete nonsense. This does nothing to add opportunity. The only issue affecting opportunity is places to hunt. If you want to create opportunity, work on something real such as access, public lands, etc.

Last edited:
Here are my talking points. Modify them as you wish:

1. This is nothing more than a stepping stone to full inclusion of all rifle calibers into Iowa's gun seasons. This exact playbook has been used by lobbyist in other states. There are small incremental changes until full rifle inclusion is allowed. Go look at the law changes in Indiana over the past 5 years. This is exactly what happened and the hunting has been degraded. Don't let Iowa become "just another state".
2. Iowa is one of the few states that the traditional gun hunting method is pushing deer. Pushing deer and rifles do not mix. This is going to kill people, livestock, etc.
3. The current straight wall law limits cartridge lengths to 1.8". HF716 does not. The 416 Barrett, for example, is used in war to kill at distances of 2 miles. How can this be a good idea?
4. This bill is being sold and "creating more opportunity". That is complete nonsense. This does nothing to add opportunity. The only issue affecting opportunity is places to hunt. If you want to create opportunity, work on something real such as access, public lands, etc.

#4 I think you could actually make the argument that adding more capable firearms will reduce opportunity. It's pretty much accepted that when you increase hunter effectiveness the long term result is tag reductions. It may not make much of a difference on intensively managed private but it won't be good, or safe, for the guy hunting public or more easily accessed private.

#4 I think you could actually make the argument that adding more capable firearms will reduce opportunity. It's pretty much accepted that when you increase hunter effectiveness the long term result is tag reductions. It may not make much of a difference on intensively managed private but it won't be good, or safe, for the guy hunting public or more easily accessed private.
I agree and I told the senator on the phone that. My reasoning is a little bit different however. A lot of shotgun ground gets hunted on permission or owned by a member of the group. Say full inclusion of rifles happens. Now instead of that group carrying shotguns and 450's they would be allowed to carry .308. Say that 308 is on an AR platform with 20 round clips. Instead of the rounds going several hundred yards, they can carry a mile or more. It's pretty easy to conceive that there will be landowners that will shut down access.

My past interactions with Windschitl on the straight wall cartridge bill were a joke. Talk out his rear nonsense with no remorse for anything other than his personal agenda. Wish I would of kept his response and reasonings for his straight wall cartridge bill. Total BS.

I think this is an important talking point as well......... I am as pro second amendment as they come. I am an avid outdoorsman. Historically I have supported the NRA. However, I do not support this bill. I am very much against it. This is not a gun issue. This is a natural resource issue. PROTECT Iowa's world class deer hunting and shut this bill down.

I agree and I told the senator on the phone that. My reasoning is a little bit different however. A lot of shotgun ground gets hunted on permission or owned by a member of the group. Say full inclusion of rifles happens. Now instead of that group carrying shotguns and 450's they would be allowed to carry .308. Say that 308 is on an AR platform with 20 round clips. Instead of the rounds going several hundred yards, they can carry a mile or more. It's pretty easy to conceive that there will be landowners that will shut down access.

That too. Could totally see it happening often here in Eastern Iowa.

I think this is an important talking point as well......... I am as pro second amendment as they come. I am an avid outdoorsman. Historically I have supported the NRA. However, I do not support this bill. I am very much against it. This is not a gun issue. This is a natural resource issue. PROTECT Iowa's world class deer hunting and shut this bill down.

YES!! The 2A isn’t about hunting. Sometimes I wonder if (someone) is trying to drive a wedge between hunters and 2A people. If the Grabbers and Anti’s can set their common enemies at odds, their work will be much easier.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Bushy, but I see no need for a .300 Wby mag in Iowa! I also wish they had made magazine limits on straight-walled rifles (again, not a 2A issue, it’s already common for waterfowl) or not allowed auto-loaders at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NRA has a very near sighted agenda with this scenario! OK, they sell more ARs which makes it harder to get legislation taking the ARs from the masses. I respect those that hunt for meat like Lone ranger claims but this rifle scenario plays into fewer hunters in the future IMO. The majority of hunting now, not saying it is right, is done for sport. Our younger generation is into instant gratification and they will lose interest in hunting very quick if they adopt the brown and down ideology. The sport and challenge drives more involved hunters in the long run and those individuals tend to be more avid about 2A rights than the masses of a brown and down crowd. Therefore fewer avid outdoorsman in the future and fewer of us to fight the bunny huggers and antis. The percentage of the populous that hunts continues to go down which puts the Hunter in the minority and the minority loses in a vote!

Maybe someone has already touched on this(I read most but not all posts) but I live in an area that lacks big timber and consists primarily of small cricks, terraces, and an occasional crp field for habitat. As soon as we get the first snow there's an army of trucks driving every square inch, permission or not, chasing coyotes. I know of several occasions, which happen to be during late muzzleloader, where a person has been coyote hunting and "went back to town" to get the muzzleloader after kicking up a good buck. Everybody knows that those deer get taken illegally with a rifle in that situation. By making any cartridge rifle legal it gives all of these knotheads more the reason to keep pushing this habitat illegally with trucks with the intentions of a multipurpose hunt. AGAINST!!

Just received this email from Senator Claire Celsi....

I am one of the three Senators who will be on the subcommittee for this bill. I plan to vote no in the subcommittee, in the full committee and on the Senate floor. I have heard from dozens of hunters just like you who are very upset about this bill.

I would concentrate on contacting Senator Shipley and Senator Cournoyer - they are the two others on the subcommittee with me. If you could spread the word with your friends and have everyone email and call them this weekend.

Chris.cournoyer@legis.iowa.gov
Tom.Shipley@legis.iowa.gov

Chris Cournoyer: 563-505-6703
Tom Shipley: 712-785-3583

Thanks,

Senator Claire Celsi

I hope you’re joking

It is a fact that Mrs. Clinton was good for gun sales. So he is saying that if Mrs. Clinton was President gun sales would be clipping right along and the manufactures wouldn't be needed to expand their markets.

Just received this email from Senator Claire Celsi....

I am one of the three Senators who will be on the subcommittee for this bill. I plan to vote no in the subcommittee, in the full committee and on the Senate floor. I have heard from dozens of hunters just like you who are very upset about this bill.

I would concentrate on contacting Senator Shipley and Senator Cournoyer - they are the two others on the subcommittee with me. If you could spread the word with your friends and have everyone email and call them this weekend.

Chris.cournoyer@legis.iowa.gov
Tom.Shipley@legis.iowa.gov

Chris Cournoyer: 563-505-6703
Tom Shipley: 712-785-3583

Thanks,

Senator Claire Celsi

Just sent mine!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom