Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF716/necked cartridge update

I emailed in support of the bill.

I like the idea of teaching our youth to hunt and encouraging it with handguns.

I like the idea of making the language adaptive to future calibers that fit the size.

I like forcing the NRC/DNR to use the federal definition of a pistol that isn't being hurled by fudd's against AR pistols.

I like the idea of expanding the caliber list and promoting hunting.

Welcome!

I would also guess you like profit over biology by creating sales opportunities for gun manufacturers.

Looks like IW is getting noticed. I bet the emails are humming about us. Keep it up.

Maybe if we allowed rifles, we could kill off the deer heard to 1950s level - you know the good old days where we go to town if you see one. Then everyone will quit deer hunting - That'll bottom out the rec land market, us common folk can buy us up some timbers and be deer farmers and we can shoot em from our muddy tower blinds. See theres a positive to it all .

Thanks for your opinion but just don’t call Ishi a old bowhunter:)

I'll take Windschitl over Celsi any day too. I saw some references to Claire Celsi on here, she is absolutely awful. Windschitl has done some wonders for gun owners in Iowa. I don't get the angry opposition to this.

Nathan I’m crying BS on you sir!!
You called myself a old bow hunter but I looked at your FB pics and ALL I see are guns and you and your family hanging out with the so called big gun guys. Yep.... true colors coming out now:rolleyes: lol

Nathan
Not sure if you're even reading these posts anymore but you have made some sweeping accusations of the members of this site. Nowhere does it say you need to be a bow hunter to be on this site. I hunt with bow and gun. I consider myself young with two kids and likely more to come. I grew up in WI and have lived in NE and KS. I hunt 95% public land. I can tell you IA has the best deer hunting by far. We don't need legislators who don't even hunt trying to fix what doesn't need fixing. Kids already have an early youth season and can hunt multiple seasons if unsuccessful. They have been given more options through the straight walled cartridges. I don't fear my kids will lack opportunities because of these other cartridges they're proposing. I worry my kids won't have land to hunt. The dwindling hunter numbers you speak of are not isolated to IA and are happening nation wide. If hunter numbers are declining in states that allow even more cartridges than this bill currently does what makes you think IA will be any different in hunter recruitment? Aging hunters (bow and gun alike) along with decreased access to public land are responsible. I also fear for the safety of fellow Iowans with errant shots at running deer. We already have seen hunters die this past year with the introduction of the straight walled regs. Expanding long range weapons further only amplifies the risk.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I would also guess you like profit over biology by creating sales opportunities for gun manufacturers.

Looks like IW is getting noticed. I bet the emails are humming about us. Keep it up.

I sent the senators direct links to this topic. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take Windschitl over Celsi any day too. I saw some references to Claire Celsi on here, she is absolutely awful. Windschitl has done some wonders for gun owners in Iowa. I don't get the angry opposition to this.

The reference you are refereeing to is a link to her email. Just trying to practice democracy here.

Why does going from straight wall cartridges to these kill off the deer? I'm really missing something. If we want hunting to be open and growing within the state, wouldn't we want to bring more people and options in? Nobody has defended this by crying for their gun manufacturers. Gun manufacturers are usually just a distraction point used by liberals. Not calling you a liberal, just not what I expected.

I've heard it for years that the selfish bowhunters are hogging all the big bucks. Quite the contrary, bowhunters are guaranteeing that bucks in Iowa get to be older than 2.5 so gun hunters get a chance at older bucks as well. Guns in the rut result in runts in the rut. Your welcome.

As far as confusion over what's legal, ignorance of the law is no defense. Check out Chapter 106 in the NRC rules in a post on the first or second page of this thread. I'm a gun owner but not a gun aficionado and the rules are pretty clear to me.

Why does going from straight wall cartridges to these kill off the deer? I'm really missing something. If we want hunting to be open and growing within the state, wouldn't we want to bring more people and options in? Nobody has defended this by crying for their gun manufacturers. Gun manufacturers are usually just a distraction point used by liberals. Not calling you a liberal, just not what I expected.
I'm not sure who you are addressing (hit reply in threads), but I'll answer.

1. This is nothing more than a stepping stone to full inclusion of all rifle calibers into Iowa's gun seasons. This exact playbook has been used by lobbyist in other states. There are small incremental changes until full rifle inclusion is allowed. Go look at the law changes in Indiana over the past 5 years. This is exactly what happened and the hunting quality has been degraded.
2. Iowa is one of the few states that the traditional gun hunting method is pushing deer. Pushing deer and rifles do not mix. This is going to kill people, livestock, etc.
3. The current straight wall law limits cartridge lengths to 1.8". HF716 does not. The 416 Barrett, for example, can shoot and kill at distances of 2 miles.
4. This bill is being pushed under the guise of "creating more opportunity". That is complete nonsense. This does nothing to add opportunity. If any man, women, or child wants to hunt deer they can easily do so with the current rules. The only issue affecting opportunity is access. If you want to create opportunity, work on something real such as access, public lands, youth mentorship, etc.

Iowa is the best state on the planet for deer for a lot of reasons but there are two main ones. 1. No rifles. 2. No guns during the rut.

I am 100% for protecting what we have so that my kids can one day hunt in a state with great age structure and not what I experienced growing up in Michigan .

Last edited:
Effective distance is the main reason in my opinion. Big difference in an effective 200 yard gun and a 500 yard gun.

There's already been several weapons added/seasons changed over the last few years but hunter numbers continue to decline. That trend alone says adding more weapons will not reverse the trend. As already mentioned, access, someone to introduce children to hunting, and quality of the experience is what is needed. If they enjoy the experience, the desire to hunt will continue. Don't believe there's any law that says deer hunting has to be their first experience with a firearm either. Plenty of small game seasons that take place in better weather with faster paced action with a less intimidating weapon might be the ticket for some. Mine enjoy squirrel/rabbit hunting as much as deer.

Above is absolutely false Nathan.
When countless folks (I know hundreds) cannot find quality ground to hunt- do you feel like that could have something to do with it?!?! You really feel like the current: shotguns, muzzleloaders, straight walls, crossbows, pistols, and bow & arrow isn’t enough ?!? That’s what’s restricting folks from hunting?!?! 4 months to hunt on top of that. Does this not wildly say “opportunity”?!?!?!

Are the grounds u hunt void of hunters btw? Lots of room, little competition for land & hunting??? Could it be lack of access that’s hurt these so called #’s???
Why aren’t politicians adding bills to change rabbit hunting or duck hunting ?!?!! Hunter numbers declining there apparently - should we allow new weapons there?! “Flame thrower season for rabbits!” Will that solve things? Of course not!!!!!

Please - explain how the access is around your area for quality deer hunting? If it’s wide open- maybe post some details up so folks on here can help fill all that empty space.

Could it be a generation that sits with iPads, iPhones, playstations, etc that maybe need to spend more time outdoors & the solution isn’t always coddling every hunter need. Possible?
The changes here are like guaranteeing kids a home run in baseball every time they bat. “That will make more kids want to play!!!!” Liberal feel good BS is all this garbage is.

This being “bow hunter protection” - please re-read the list of 6+ weapons hunters can use to kill deer now. I see ONE of those weapons is a bow. I also see 5 deer seasons on the books that have firearms already!!!! (Youth, early ML, gun 1, gun 2 & late ML) & most likely a 6th with late antlerless season. Could it possibly be the choice of weapons is NOT the root of the issue you bring up?

& let’s be clear after that.... this isn’t about hunter recruitment!!!!!!!! This is about sagging gun sales since ‘16 election & the gun lobby pushing this for $! Nra & farm bureau also supporting & lobbying for this. Let’s call a spade a spade here - this is horse crap & political slime to spin this as an “opportunity Bill”. An IQ & common sense barely above a Squirrel can see this for what it is. Folks can put the slimy political spin on it but enough folks pay attention, know the world of politics & know the truth about this sham of a bill.

WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED??
- This bill has NOTHING to do with kids in all reality (other that allowing kids to shoot deer with a handgun - I know my kids will NOT be doing that)
- People pushing this agenda have no clue about Deer Management or Conservation - they don't even realize how special Iowa is and think that Michigan and Missouri are our equals in Deer Hunting
- It is most definitely an INCREMENTAL law - writer admits that they want to push for more high power cartridges in later years - this is only the beginning so NOW is the best time to stop the madness
- Looks like there is no CASE LENGTH maximum written in which would allow for HUGE rifle cartridges to be legal that have over 1 mile range
- We also learned that IowaWhitetail.com is on the radar of the legislators and lobbyists - enough so that they are sending people here to post to try and sway our opinion
- There is power in our passion - what we are doing here talking about these issues and emailing the lawmakers with our collective knowledge and passion is doing some good.

Top Bottom