Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Morels

Based on many previous spring times...I think we are just about 4-8 days away yet. There is sufficient soil moisture in my area(SE Iowa) for the first time in recent years...I think we just need the temps to climb a few more degrees. Day time temps in the 60's and night time temps in the 40's is what we are looking for gents. We are close to that now...I am going to start looking this coming weekend, with a big sweep planned for next Monday. Fingers crossed! Check out the link below.

https://www.thegreatmorel.com/morel-sightings/

I watch the asparagus bed and lilac bushes and they say we are a ways out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked the first batch of asparagus last night, which tells me to look for morels in Johnson County.

Went morel hunting yesterday, found a shed antler. Maybe should have gone shed hunting and found morels?

I think its too early yet.

Went morel hunting yesterday, found a shed antler. Maybe should have gone shed hunting and found morels?

I think its too early yet.

People are finding some now in southern Iowa...I hope this rain pushes some more up. I am taking a few guys to look for some on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Has been way too dry... at least by me. Rain this week.... as soon as it warms up should be there. Last year was terrible... afraid it may be the same again this year.

Thankfully they didnt come yet, not sure how they would have liked freezing temps and 2 inches of snow and slush. 2 weeks out for us to be into them good. Hopefully the moisture level stays up

Did a pretty good sweep on our farm yesterday and found...four. Harrumph! All grays and fresh though...so hopefully the nice yellows follow in the next few days.

Normally, our best mushroom days are April 24 to 26, or so. So we are running behind this year, it looked "early" while in the timber yesterday and grays come first, so we think we should see yellows still.

Guys - keep in mind the grays are immature and do not have many (if any) spores...be sure to let some grow and mature! Fun to watch them grow and become yellows, also.

Have yet to get out. Plan too in the next few days. The Asparagus wasn’t up when I looked last week, need to check that again, too.

Found some this morning just enough for a couple meals.

a2915819cc695aac40fdba624eff83bb.jpg

0751c78dc38251fc222148d665447192.jpg

The beauty of Spring
6b9b96e64e6b8f055c52a9ec8bc5cac9.jpg

Top Bottom