Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saskatchewan bears?

Boonervilleusa

I'm heading to Northern Saskatchewan in May on an archery bear hunt. Never done anything like that before. Anyone here have experience/advice as far as "must have" gear, things to do/not to do, getting meat/hide back home, etc.

Never been but from the guys I know that have: thermacell or 2 and plenty of the cartridges, something to pass some time, and I'm guessing you might be using a bow but if using a gun and stand hunting use either no scope or a low low power.

I second the themacell with tons of refills. You will be running it the whole time you are out in the woods from my experience. They work like a charm and it's crazy when you turn it off how quick they attack you.

Thermacell...check

although thinking it may be easier to buy one in Saskatoon after arriving than taking butane canisters and a funny looking machine through TSA??? Pretty sure I'll already be subject to cavity search since I'm checking a bag with a bow, knives, trail cameras that definitely look like bomb trigger devices, etc. :(

Thermacell...check

although thinking it may be easier to buy one in Saskatoon after arriving than taking butane canisters and a funny looking machine through TSA??? Pretty sure I'll already be subject to cavity search since I'm checking a bag with a bow, knives, trail cameras that definitely look like bomb trigger devices, etc. :(

lol bow, etc. won’t be a problem you and many others will be arriving at the same time with them. The Saskatoon airport will be crawling with bear hunters you will fit right in. Well stocked Cabelas there if you forget anything. Just a thought but some lures and a travel rod might not be a bad thing if you get your bear early.
Depending on how far north you go there are different zones where the fishing may or may not be open so check that out ahead of time unless you’re with an outfitter that’s right on the lake or something like that .
Good luck and enjoy!

I actually read the airline regs yesterday. The thermacell is fine but you aren’t allowed to fly with the butane cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always bring two thermacells. I have a small string on both so I can hang it behind me with the other ready to go if needed. I want to minimize movement on stand as much as possible. I put in new butane and pad before every sit so I don't have to change it on stand. Yes the bears know your there but in my experience the bruiser bruins like to sit back and watch the stand for a long time or even a night before coming in. Your smell is different that what they are used to. I have watched several do just that, even in places where bears aren't scared of people because they just don't encounter them. Be a rock on stand! Can't express that enough. Minimize your movement. If ravens fly in, land at your bait and stay then you are more than doing it right.

Be honest and upfront with your outfitter/guide about what you will shoot. If it is a good rendition of a black bear then let him know. Any color then tell him. P&Y only or bigger and willing to eat my tag to get it, make sure he knows. Most first time black bear hunters would like to take a giant bear but would be perfectly happy with a good rendition of one. Depending on when your going in May, if you have a sow without cubs at your bait by all means do not shoot her, she is the best bait you could ask for!!

If you are access a bait via long 4 wheeler ride a pad is helpful for your behind during the ride and in the stand if they don't provide them.

Talk to your taxidermist so you know what measurements to take from the bear for the different types of mounts you may consider and how he would like it skinned for a full mount if you go that way. Or you could PM me and I'll give you what I always do for the guys in camp and for myself. The outfitter may or may not leave the skull in the hide. If he doesn't, it is a must you get the eye to nose measurement at a minimum. Most places will quarter the bear for you and you can take it home that way. Since your flying you may want to debone the meat yourself and bring bags to freeze it in. Surprising, bears are more hide, bone and guts. The first one I ever killed I was shocked at how little meat it rendered.

Educate yourself so you know what your looking at. Bears are difficult to judge in size and sex. The small ones are easy and so are the giants. Everything in between can be difficult but there are tricks to it. Know how to use the barrel in various ways to judge the bear, just be sure you know it is a 55 gallon or a 45 gallon drum. Had a guy kill a bear whose back was to the top of a 45 gallon drum and he was disappointed cuz he thought it was a 55.

Assuming your hunting with archery so don't tuck the arrow behind the shoulder, put it at least 3 -4 inches behind it half way up the body. It's not built like an a hoofed mammal. Their hair makes them look bigger than what they are because they have it stand on end. The bottom 4 to 6 inches of what looks like chest may be just hair. Wait for a broadside shoot, drive it through both lungs and the bear won't go 50 yards, more like 30 or less. Hit one lung and you won't recover it. If you have a dog, watch how it moves, shifts and stands, a bear can do the same thing. It can turn its body into a horseshoe shape just as easily as a dog and take away shot opportunity by drastically changing the angle of lungs. Hoofed game can't quite do it the same way. If you don't hear a death moan don't fret, they don't all do it.

Since your sitting in a stand a good rain jacket is a must, rain pants for me anyway, has always been optional. You will get rained on at some point, hopefully not every day!

I have always driven to my hunts so getting the meat, hide and skull was never an issue. One time I killed the bear the night before we were to leave and recovered him in the morning. I ended up leaving the hide with the outfitter, met him in Thunder Bay later in the year and got my hide then.

I could rattle on for days, haha!

Above all good luck and enjoy the north. I love it up there chasing bruins!

Well my trip North was...AWESOME! I had an absolute blast. Saw 53 bears and a ton of other animals while up there. I was very impressed with the outfitter and the amount of effort they put into being successful. Our group was 100% on tags filled. My hunt went literally down to the wire. The first 5 days I was hunting 2 specific bears and switched between them based on wind. Neither surfaced in daylight on the days I hunted them, but were always there on off days or just after dark. According to the outfitter, either one is the equivalent of shooting a 200” whitetail in bear terms. Both were over 500lbs estimated. But One is a chocolate and the other a black with 2 huge white blazes. I passed 51 bears the first 5 days, including at least 2 over 300 lbs. Day 6 had a weird east wind that didn’t work for either bear, so I went to a totally different area on the last day. I wasn’t after a specific animal and when the first bear of the evening was a decent sized cinnamon boar I decided he was pretty cool and needed to come back to Iowa. Overall I couldn’t be more thrilled with my first bear, and the entire hunt. I would go again in a heartbeat. Very cool place.
7670067b8d9a3f3777cb7240d968afdf.jpg

f370ade63746b23f5623eb1c413a8d96.jpg

be802f19d31d1594057a6909c74df82d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The markings on that black bear are really neat. Definitely worth holding out for but understand coming down to the wire. You still shot a great bear! Did you get to fish as well or just hunt?

Top Bottom