Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I checked our switch last weekend and nothing had sprouted yet, brome was 6-12” high though so had dad hit it with a light dose of oust XP and gly. We hopefully can burn this next spring and get a good dose of oust on that brome.

e5a0847586f19bfbaacc86eaf552bdaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i Don’t think quinclorac is effective without methylated seed oil. If so- far less. This is going back in my memory a bit so read the quinclorac label on general use & mixing. Adding atrazine is great! 2,4-d on ESTABLISHED stands or new plants with good height on them. (Info in this thread on that- just don’t do 3 week old switch with 2,4-d).

Same here Jordan- our soil temps are too low yet.

If it was me I'd put on quinclorac, crop oil, atrazine or simazine and some 24-d.
I've read that you shouldn't apply 24 D until the switch has reached the 3-4 leaf stage. I applied 24 D too early last year. I believe it killed a lot of young switch.
I also think those few warm days around Easter got the switch germinating. Some of my 2nd year switch is showing new growth and my spring plantings are coming up. May 10th is usually the cut off date for spraying Gly. I'm not going to risk it. I applied Simazine and will wait until mid June and hit it with 24 D and Quinclorac.
On a side note, I've had terrible results with Frost seeding. My best result has been to broadcast seed at 10-12 lbs per acre, then run over it with my roto-tiller about an inch or 2 deep. I don't have a packer, so I pack with my ATV or tractor tires. Make due with what you've got, right?

I’m in SW WI and frost seeded switchgrass this winter. Do you think it is still safe to hit the area with roundup one more time to get the few remaining weeds killed off? I was thinking of spraying tomorrow.

2,4-d use.... ya, I’d personally wait for like 12” of growth. Young switch is very delicate with 2,4-d. Young “anything” for the most part, 2,4-d is potent.

Yes- above. Established switch can take a lot!! Agree- spray.

Just a little update I had to Burn in beginning of March due to a schedule conflict. Right after burn I sprayed 12OZ Plateau .. Cleaned the stand up good. Switch is about 5-6 inches and growing good. This stand had a bit of Johnson Grass growing in it I see no growth I'll know better In June.. The Plateau did not seem to control some of the areas I have Golden Rod.. Pure Switch Stand 10 acres.6-7 years old. Just FYI

Another little update , sprayed switch with 24d amine at 4pt per acre , started to clean to golden rod up...

I want to start some switch or another native on some slopes. Eroding bad enough right now...do I need to cover with straw or what are my options for larger areas?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That’s a tough one. Just be gentle on it. U gonna wanna drill in & drill perpendicular to slope. If u can post pics of it- be nice. drill it heavier rate. (Or If did decide on pure switch- frost seed it). Get things killed with spray of course. U could do pre-emergent with eroded area or u could do a post emergent kill and keep it mowed. Most scenarios I can imagine up- I think u be fine. Once established u set. I’d consider Indian grass & maybe big blue on the rough parts. Switch on better dirt. U would have to handle the 2 areas different but worth it if u have any good soils. Indian does well on poor soil. Give it a go. Other options are tree plantings as well.
I’ve dealt with steep hills with great success - just do it when conditions are right- be gentle on it and if u have any areas that are sparse or failures.... fill em in and don’t give up with 1 go at it. If u can post pics- might change thoughts some.

Reactions: arm
Was down at our farm in SW WI spraying plots and didnt notice any emerging switchgrass yet from my frost seeding. Weed control is great still. Hope it pops soon.

Top Bottom