Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR DEER LICENSE - INCREASE $

mswaldo

Looks like the NR license went up $100 or so. It is now $660. I applied last night and had some sticker shock :). I thought last year was only $560. Maybe i just don't remember. I wonder if the higher price will slow down the number of applicants.

It used to be mid $500? I know a friend applied and called me and said what it is up with that? Never heard a word about it?

It used to be mid $500? I know a friend applied and called me and said what it is up with that? Never heard a word about it?
There was a thread last year in the Legislative Section about the increases or need to increase with much discussion.

Oh man, if rates went up, I might be $1.25 for my LOT vs a $1! ;).
Ya- no one likes paying more. Empathize. But, on flip side, yikes, I think it’s like a 4 year wait to even draw a tag by me the demand is so high. So- since wait is longer - I guess if u average it out- prices really aren’t up. It stinks. Wish demand for our state would slow a bit. I believe the million-time re-hashed governor tag program to promote our state is still going on to this day too!!! :confused::cool::rolleyes:o_O

Missouri needs to increase their NR prices and add draw, and move gun season. But we know that will never happen.
Is there a down vote button on here, LOL!!!! There were NR Landowner tags when I bought in MO. Fees went from $75 for a bow tag to $225 when they shitcanned the NR tag and rifle went up the same. And most laughable is turkey went to $190.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Seems like this increase was under the radar? Many states seem to be adding $$ to the licenses, except my home state of MN. A NR family can fish in MN for close to the same price as a resident.

General question for the group. What motivation should the state have to not increasing NR tag prices? If they went to $1,000 there would still be a "waiting list". I'm not advocating this, just curious others thoughts.

Yikes, everything goes up but pay checks! Preference points used to be $10, than went to $50, I guess they might raise that too?

You can hunt PA as a non resident for $101.90 but you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

Not under the radar one bit. Was made very public.

"What motivation should the state have to not increasing NR tag prices?".....Especially when you see 4/5 NR tags sell for 15 grand each last year on eBay. LOL

Not under the radar one bit. Was made very public.

"What motivation should the state have to not increasing NR tag prices?".....Especially when you see 4/5 NR tags sell for 15 grand each last year on eBay. LOL

Where was it made public and where did it say that it passed?

Every state could increase the fees by 20-30% for NR I guess, why not, just make it more difficult for NR to buy a license?

Every state that has any big game hunting that is in demand puts the screws to the NR and it's their right to do so. Happens to me every year out West. Get into the points game in a few states and see how fast the costs blow up before you even get a tag.

Sucks but NR is the easy target and the law of supply and demand is in full effect.

General question for the group. What motivation should the state have to not increasing NR tag prices? If they went to $1,000 there would still be a "waiting list". I'm not advocating this, just curious others thoughts.
I’ll run through LOGIC of both sides or try and think through this out loud....
Only reason against it is “youth & newer hunters or hunters who are low income”. Which- all 3 of those.... can say “youth likely aren’t traveling & if ur low income, probably shouldn’t be doing out of state”.
Another side would be “at $1,000, your making it a rich man’s sport”. Which- I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. $100,000- yes- rich mans buy. $1-2k - middle class or hard working person can achieve this.
If we take emotion out- we are back to ECONOMICS 101. SUPPLY & DEMAND.... (i am not saying we should implement this model - just waking through)..... RAISE PRICE UNTIL - demand equals supply. Or back to an every other year draw. Which- I would guess at $2k per tag- that likely would get to supply & demand about leveling off.

The RUB of the current system..... the trajectory of sales has gone up every year for 20 years now. *exception- recession of 2008 timeframe. Why does demand keep going UP???!!?!?!? That’s the interesting question!!!!
Not siding on either side here- just walking through all this.

Why does demand keep going UP???!!?!?!? That’s the interesting question!!!!.

1. Social media and outdoor media has really made about every hunter in America aware of Iowa. Thst way not nearly as prevalent even just 10 years ago.

2. Almost every state has crappy regulations and people want a chance to shoot a real world class deer.

Yes most definitely!!
With the increase for NR Iowa is still the best state to hunt and everyone knows this. They know they will have a quality hunt so they are willing to wait to draw a tag.
I talk to many NR on the internet and they almost always ask in a round about way....is their really a 150 inch buck behind every tree and my reply is.... not true.... there are two!!

Top Bottom