Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How wet is it?

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
This has to be one of the wettest springs I’ve seen! Minnesota is drenched, lots of areas not planted, ponds/sloughs/lakes,,, all high water!

How is it on your area? I hear Illinois has less than 30% of the fields planted right now. Soaked!

Dad has planted a total of 60 acres of corn so far and that was just to say we got something in. That was Thursday night ahead of the last round of rain, and it was far less than ideal conditions. Not good. Same goes for the 10 day forecast.

... could be worse
2bde8ef4ef6277e9e78301419f049e7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They already started to from my local elevator daily texts on prices. Looks pretty wet here for near future - if stays true- prices go up further. Could be a late corn harvest too if folks need field dry down.

How late of harvest, they are still picking corn from last year on Mother's day. Saw a few fields of corn up over the winter for some reason up here in NE Iowa. The one on Mother's day always picks his in the spring for some reason, maybe keeping wildlife healthy.

How late of harvest, they are still picking corn from last year on Mother's day. Saw a few fields of corn up over the winter for some reason up here in NE Iowa. The one on Mother's day always picks his in the spring for some reason, maybe keeping wildlife healthy.
2018 harvest was brutal in SW IA and NW MO! Excessive rain then snow on unfrozen ground. I think when Skip is talking bout late he is referring to Later November early December. The window is closing fast for corn planting.

I am in the one area in Iowa where nearly all of the corn is in but as far as the rest of the state and midwest for that matter we are in trouble. Sure prices will go up but that wont matter if you dont have a crop to harvest. Everyday after May 10 the yield drops considerably. And we are going to knocking on the door of affected bean yields her before too long...these farmers need to catch a break at some point or there wont be many left....foreseeable forecast doesnt look good, maybe another week or so before planters hit the fields again...this is a bad deal

The corn planter was parked on top of a hill as I walked to the timber to mushroom hunt yesterday. There were rivers of water running over the fields, ground was saturated. It will take some dry days for the rig to roll again, and I’m not seeing it in the forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the one area in Iowa where nearly all of the corn is in but as far as the rest of the state and midwest for that matter we are in trouble. Sure prices will go up but that wont matter if you dont have a crop to harvest. Everyday after May 10 the yield drops considerably. And we are going to knocking on the door of affected bean yields her before too long...these farmers need to catch a break at some point or there wont be many left....foreseeable forecast doesnt look good, maybe another week or so before planters hit the fields again...this is a bad deal

The guys that get it planted may benefit by the higher prices, the bottom line is less corn harvested overall factors into the equation for carryover and supply for futures.

The guys that get it planted may benefit by the higher prices, the bottom line is less corn harvested overall factors into the equation for carryover and supply for futures.
Bad for many farmers on an individual basis, but a good thing IMO overall for the market.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hard to believe but a good crop would be really bad for the Ag economy. The market needs a reduction in supply,latest estimates are 5 million prevent plant corn acres. Not much reason to switch those to bean acres with beans in the mid 7 range.

What always amazes me is the genetics traits on the corn seed now days. Does anyone remember the not too distant past in 2012? I saw guys around Waterloo area mowing down their stand...no chance at a crop. Driest since the 80's, but then at end of the year the statewide average was still 145! My dad grew up in the 60s and I remember him saying 75 an acre was a bin buster. Times have changed. (and I get it, margins are tighter now than they were then) It just seems they can get some kind of decent crop in any conditions these days.

Last edited:
How do you guys think this will impact the upcoming hunting season? In my area [SE iowa] there are very little if any beans planted and by the looks of it it will be weeks before guys can get into the fields. I wonder if some fields will get planted at all?!? That would have a huge impact on the farms I hunt...

How do you guys think this will impact the upcoming hunting season? In my area [SE iowa] there are very little if any beans planted and by the looks of it it will be weeks before guys can get into the fields. I wonder if some fields will get planted at all?!? That would have a huge impact on the farms I hunt...
We have over a month before you need to be concerned about getting beans in the ground. But yes, I'm sure there will be some PP acres this year.

I have seen beans planted as late as July 4th and still do well, but that is pushing it and it is also possible that if you don't get good rains on them then you may not have a crop at all. (Note - one of my all time best and favorite deer hunts was on a still green bean field in the early October muzzy season when a cold front hit. That field had been replanted on July 4th that year after heavy rains washed out the first planting. I can still see that gigantic white rack floating through those beans right at the end of legal shooting time as Mr. Big made his arrival...sigh...I didn't shoot as it was too dark to see him well enough. Aaaarrgghh!)

But beans are still good for at least another month'ish. Corn??? It varies by area, but there is still A LOT of corn not planted...maybe 50% - 70% not yet planted in some areas. Time is short now for those fields, as if it quit raining today it would still 5-7 days for things to dry out enough to go and June 1st is really kind a cutoff date for corn in the ground.

Yes, corn planted after that can still work out, but it is much more risky then AND crop insurance requires that it be in the ground by June 1st or else I believe.

back in 2015 when we had a wet year and there was plenty of PP ground. I was allowed to plant food plots all over, its basically like CRP when this happens, just cant harvest it for a profit! But food plots are going to be a premium this year thats for sure... and yes we may still have some time to get beans planted we are running out of time for premium yields. The days of growing 35 bu beans are over, in this market we need to be pushing 60 bu to make the payments.
and the next issue is the lack of seed corn that has been planted for next years planting season, what do you think that is going to do to the price of a bag of corn? My guys here will be fine, but the rest of the corn belt is in deep trouble

Top Bottom