Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR DEER LICENSE - INCREASE $

Absolutely no doubt!!!!! Going back in my head.... I think MO probably has 5 times the amount of habitat that Iowa does. MN & WI for sure do!!!! Those 3 states would be lights out, game over, blow iowa out of water IF they moved rifles to Dec 1!!!!

Yup! The north MO hardwoods are my favorite.

To add to the rise in cost - I just applied for MT and WY elk, and those tags were going to be a few hundred dollars more than what an IA buck tag would be, even after the hikes. I'd rather see higher prices (both R and NR) vs increasing tag numbers. Some people might disagree but the damage that'd be done by increasing tag #s would be bad.

Last edited:
what sucks even more is they lowered the quota by 50% where I go,, so there are 31 tags available for 107 guys who didn't draw last year..But I agree with the residents, I would rather wait another year then see it get overrun with NR. And it is true lower price means more. IM blessed that I met a great family down there that I can stay with for however long I want when I come down there. Hotels would of killed me more..

Last edited:
what sucks even more is they lowered the quota by 50% where I go,, so there are 31 tags available for 107 guys who didn't draw last year..But I agree with the residents, I would rather wait another year then see it get overrun with NR. And it is true lower price means more. IM blessed that I met a great family down there that I can stay with for however long I want when I come down there. Hotels would of killed me more..
What zone is that?

Yeah, when the tag got north of some of the elk tag prices, my "demand" dwindled. I have enough points to go (at least I think they are still good), but can't see paying up like this for whitetails.

Every year now for at least the last 5 years or so, I think about it, and ultimately decide I'd rather just hunt SE MN. Too bad really, I really use to enjoy hunting NE Iowa when it was peanuts to go (KS has gotten steep too) Hell, I even use to draw about every other year. Happy for you IA guys they haven't opened the flood gates, however, they have priced the little guys out to some extent. I could afford it no doubt, but it just isn't worth it for me at this point. I'm glad I got to hunt IA in my prime when it was just starting to be a big deal.

You're correct the little guy is priced out. Someone here said they could charge 1,000 per tag and get it, which is true based on only 6000 tags being offered, but those 6000 guys are going to be fairly well off. Not sure how I feel about that given hunting used to be inclusive. Heck, keep the NR tags at 6000 but make them affordable. I'm sure the state of Iowa, or the DNR, will not go belly up without NR license income.

You're correct the little guy is priced out. Someone here said they could charge 1,000 per tag and get it, which is true based on only 6000 tags being offered, but those 6000 guys are going to be fairly well off. Not sure how I feel about that given hunting used to be inclusive. Heck, keep the NR tags at 6000 but make them affordable. I'm sure the state of Iowa, or the DNR, will not go belly up without NR license income.

Some things to think about.... discussion points if you will.

6,000 tags. Price obviously can curb demand. If price stayed/stays the same the waiting time keeps getting longer and longer. In the past 10 years alone, the wait time for some zones has more than doubled. What if it goes from every 4th year to every 8 years in another decade (very possible IMO). People OK with hunting Iowa once a decade for example?

yes I agree hunting should be inclusive. I think it is, but does that apply to non-resident situations in all areas? I'd really like to go hunt the premium elk units in New Mexico and Arizona, but that will/would cost a small fortune and a huge wait time. Or I could go hunting Idaho or Colorado OTC. I think Iowa is THE premium location in the world for whitetails. Probably can make a case it should be at a premium price.

Posted above, but does ANY state owe non-residents anything? Do they have any obligation to keep affordability in mind? I don't know. I see it both ways.

Instead of giving governor tags away to "promote" Iowa (What an effing joke), why not auction them ALL off. That would raise a substantial amount of money that could make a real difference in hunting quality. Either that or do away with them and put those extra tags back into the pool.

I don't have the numbers for Iowa but one NR in total spends about what 30 residents spend. I'm sure that money is a significant portion of their budget. NR's fund a large part of most hunting destination states budgets. I know that CO residents are getting pissed and I won't be surprised at all to see over the counter elk tags go away in the next few years. The CO DOW is very concerned about what that will do to funding. Probably jack the NR tag even more the way residents everywhere cry whenever they hear of their license going up a couple bucks.

I fully support any States rights to limit opportunity to NRs as they see fit. I feel bad and am more then a little concerned about the climbing cost of that tag and it's implications for the future of hunting.

I will say I'm at my peak. $660 to shoot an oversized goat. Yes, the "chance" of a lifetime may present itself in Iowa, but the reality is most do not see, or harvest, anything larger than a 160 class animal; which is a very nice deer. My time in Iowa has been awesome but most years are valued by time spent with those in camp with a nice deer taken here and there. Is it worth the highest whitetail tag in the nation? Probably not. I can have the same experience for a lot less money.

But, newbies continue to get suckered in by videos produced by the famous Iowa husband/wife teams who hunt thousands of acres often leaving farms unhunted to grow deer for later years pursuits. But hey it's only $660 not including travel, lease, ownership, outfitter.......

Last edited:
Not a good solution here that will satisfy everyone. I absolutely would be bummed if I had long waits and high expenses. I’d be far more bummed if we did things to ruin what iowa is as well. No magic solutions for everyone to be happy. I do believe as a state our 1st duty is to residents & to treat NR’s kindly but put their interests 2nd. Every state should be like that. Few options....

1) Deteriorate quality to drive down demand. Can & would come directly from regulation changes (seasons, amount of tags, weapons, etc).

2) raise prices until it’s a 0-1 year draw time on a tag. Raise price until supply meets demand. Sucks on some levels but would work.

3) increase amount of tags to NR’s - more land will be bought up & in many neighborhoods like mine - it’s over 50% as it sits now. Would decrease R opportunity but speed up NR draw.

4) never gonna happen BUT - lower NR tag costs BUT wait times increase. Could be 6-7 years instead of 3-4 Supply & demand.

5) VIABLE.... reduce demand for the tags by taking literally MILLIONS OF YEARLY VIEWS of “media tag or gov tag hunts” on premium ground out of system. Those tags should be for non-profit auctions (which don’t put em out with intention to promote Iowa’s deer hunting) & bring in far more $ to all avenues (yes- wealthy buying them but goes to charity & they spend like crazy when they do come here as they have those extra funds). This program to promote Iowa & prove your viewership & “promotion value” needs to end. The program can not justify itself at all. Tags for non-profits & it wounded vets ONLY. Stop promotion!!!

6) increase quality in other states to take pressure away from Iowa. This is doable & possible. Incredibly fast results (would take 2-3 years) but the obstacle is only “stubborn status quo hunters” who fight against any changes & continue to have horrible management & hunting. Fix other states- iowa demand will go down!!!! Doable in one dnr or legislative session - no technology needing developed (this is not like sending man to mars!) but needs public persuasion & courage of leaders to support (& fight insurance lobby, etc). This is the Hardest easy solution out there!!!!! It would work. Too bad it’s so obvious but so hard to see happen.

That’s off top of my head. Wish everyone could magically hunt free on their own thousand acres & kill a 180” every year but that’s the fantasy world where above is only places reality-land brings my thinking.

After years of discussing the NR issue, I can tell you nobody will change their mind. It is what it is. Iowa has great hunting because of the state deer hunt is not run by gun hunters. The limited NR helps as well.

I don’t like the high tag price, but I do like the rut in Iowa. So it’s a trade off. No point in bitchin much anymore. They got us. They know it.

Skip pointed out that if other states were better, the demand would drop and I agree. Minnesota has incredible habitat, decent bucks, but the November gun season messes up the rut, age, etc... If our state moved the gun season back—whole different ballgame. I’d like to see our state get better in all aspects hunting/fishing and our state can raise prices too.

I’ve owned land in Lucas, Warren, Ringgold, Union, Taylor and now Monona County. Every farm was pretty good, I like the one I have now and I have a great neighbor (Hillrunner).

So we will see how it goes, will Iowa continue to be the top dog, will it improve, get worse? Will NR keep buying farms? I know the real positive for me has been the ability to create a nice cash flowing asset that keeps going up in value—that I cannot complain about.

Just my honest opinion!!

Hardwood, you're right on it. My property value has more than quadrupled over time and it's more of an investment than anything. My kids will collect 7 figures when I'm gone. That's the only reason I keep my property. So...thanks Iowa for the lucrative return, goat tag or no goat tag.

My son moved out of Iowa and I checked for him (he thought maybe he’d come home to hunt)- yeah. No. The IDNR website says that your actual cost is $644 plus fees. That, apparently, is without buying whatever those advantage point thingies is all about.

Thanks, no. I’ll spend $160 to hunt with him in Wisconsin, but he’s not spending that to hunt here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put in this year for first time as NR. Felt pretty raw having to pay that much after having hunted as a R for over two decades and still owning a few acres in Iowa, but I guess it is what it is.

Yes most definitely!!
With the increase for NR Iowa is still the best state to hunt and everyone knows this. They know they will have a quality hunt so they are willing to wait to draw a tag.
I talk to many NR on the internet and they almost always ask in a round about way....is their really a 150 inch buck behind every tree and my reply is.... not true.... there are two!!
Ishi, let me know where you hunt!? :) I guess after your deer last year I am a believer. The expectation I hear is that there are 170s behind every tree. Well, I have are my Iowa tag for three years in a row now for a 160 gross. I've harvested 150+ in MO 3 of the last 4 years. Iowa is likely the best which is why I am here but expectations and reality do not line up especially for someone wanting to hunt one week hard a year like most people from a long ways away plan on.

Not a good solution here that will satisfy everyone. I absolutely would be bummed if I had long waits and high expenses. I’d be far more bummed if we did things to ruin what iowa is as well. No magic solutions for everyone to be happy. I do believe as a state our 1st duty is to residents & to treat NR’s kindly but put their interests 2nd. Every state should be like that. Few options....

1) Deteriorate quality to drive down demand. Can & would come directly from regulation changes (seasons, amount of tags, weapons, etc).

2) raise prices until it’s a 0-1 year draw time on a tag. Raise price until supply meets demand. Sucks on some levels but would work.

3) increase amount of tags to NR’s - more land will be bought up & in many neighborhoods like mine - it’s over 50% as it sits now. Would decrease R opportunity but speed up NR draw.

4) never gonna happen BUT - lower NR tag costs BUT wait times increase. Could be 6-7 years instead of 3-4 Supply & demand.

5) VIABLE.... reduce demand for the tags by taking literally MILLIONS OF YEARLY VIEWS of “media tag or gov tag hunts” on premium ground out of system. Those tags should be for non-profit auctions (which don’t put em out with intention to promote Iowa’s deer hunting) & bring in far more $ to all avenues (yes- wealthy buying them but goes to charity & they spend like crazy when they do come here as they have those extra funds). This program to promote Iowa & prove your viewership & “promotion value” needs to end. The program can not justify itself at all. Tags for non-profits & it wounded vets ONLY. Stop promotion!!!

6) increase quality in other states to take pressure away from Iowa. This is doable & possible. Incredibly fast results (would take 2-3 years) but the obstacle is only “stubborn status quo hunters” who fight against any changes & continue to have horrible management & hunting. Fix other states- iowa demand will go down!!!! Doable in one dnr or legislative session - no technology needing developed (this is not like sending man to mars!) but needs public persuasion & courage of leaders to support (& fight insurance lobby, etc). This is the Hardest easy solution out there!!!!! It would work. Too bad it’s so obvious but so hard to see happen.

That’s off top of my head. Wish everyone could magically hunt free on their own thousand acres & kill a 180” every year but that’s the fantasy world where above is only places reality-land brings my thinking.
The one thing most of us on here are missing is that states like MO and MN are after is not the biggest bucks but GREAT opportunity! IA can sell big deer to NR while MO sells rifle opportunity in the rut. Most of us on this thread are after our biggest buck ever. We are the minority and I'd guess if you ask the hunters in MO that are more than happy with the opportunity to shoot a rutting 2 year old with a rifle in MO I bet they like the current regs. Long story short, surrounding states aren't going to change management to help Iowa out. Missouri already generates more revenue from NR rifle hunters than Iowa does with ALL our NR tags.
Albeit I'd love it if they did since I buy NR in MO every year.

It’s very interesting to see a thread where people are complaining about the price of tags but a lot of them( not saying everyone)have no problem dropping $1500 on a new bow or just as much on Sitka gear or ozonics, muddy blinds etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom