Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnips

Opinions and experience vary a little across the state, but one phrase that I keep in mind for turnips is, "Rain or shine, plant them on July 29." I have planted them later than that, more out of necessity due to drought, etc, and had them work out OK. But for maximum bulb size, late July is a good rule of thumb to follow.

Now then, turnips are often planted along with radishes and I am of the opinion that radishes can/should be planted just a little later, say Aug. 10-15 or so.

Thanks for the input. I planted mid August last year and got decent growth but the bulbs were about golf ball size. Maybe I didn’t plant early enough to get the maximum potential out of the bulbs. Would fertilizing help with growing bigger bulbs? If so how much fertilizer and what kind would you put down on 1 acre?

Thanks for the input. I planted mid August last year and got decent growth but the bulbs were about golf ball size. Maybe I didn’t plant early enough to get the maximum potential out of the bulbs. Would fertilizing help with growing bigger bulbs? If so how much fertilizer and what kind would you put down on 1 acre?
For sure!!! That’s ur main issue. Brassicas love N!!! All info u could ever imagine....
https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/brassicas.15388/

Turnips grow best in cool weather and are direct seeded in the garden either in early spring or in the fall, about 70 days before your first frost date. Plant seeds about ½ inch deep.

Turnips.... Mid July for max bulb growth. End of July minimum as stated above. Radishes on the other hand can go as late as mid/end of Sept and still make a lot of food. I do that often into standing beans when they start to yellow.

Both require Lots of urea!!!!

Do some searching of topics, threads, etc. there is plenty of discussion on this to be found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always try to plant late July or Early August right before a rain. Seems like during that time rain is sparse and I don't like them sitting in the ground for 3 weeks without a rain.

Top Bottom