Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any Pond Experts?? Moss Problem..

Snooter

Hey guys, I tried to tackle this moss thing on my own by reading online about the different types and what to use and NOT HARM FISH while still allowing me and my kids to jump in it. I've spent enough time on youtube and different University sites that I should have a degree, but I certainly don't and must not deserve one.

The basics:
- pond is roughly 3/4 of an acre - deepest spot is roughly 14ft.
- pond moss/crap is just around the edges, doesn't cover the whole thing
- pretty darn clear water
- some runoff obviously, but not like a current running through it

About a month ago, I put 1 gallon of Crystal Plex Algae Control (says it covers 1 acre) into 15 gallons of water in my ATV sprayer and went all the way around it spraying the mats of crap floating on top. Dumped all 15 gallons and the 1 gallon of Algae Control into the pond via sprayer. Checked back there today and it sure doesn't look like it did anything. I sprayed it on a cloudy day about 50 degree's out, not much wind but some.

I usually develop duck weed in late summer, but there isn't a ton of it now so I used the Algae Control for $40 per gallon. I'm not to excited to try it again, but maybe I did something wrong?? Something else I should use without killing everything??

Appreciate any input!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 47
Wow. That’s crazy! I am far from pond expert! I wonder if the clear water actually causes some growth? I’d be curious on how to solve too. Sure there’s herbicides. Or wonder if aerator helps that?

I believe I have read of other accounts where a pond herbicide was not very effective due to cloudy, cool conditions when it was applied. Double check me on that, but it would make sense to me that the plant matter would be more vulnerable to a herbicide when it is "breathing"...which would be moreso when it is sunny I think. Check that angle out.

Yep, grass carp went in last year so they’re just babies yet.

Daver, it does say something to that extent on the bottle. Just seems crazy that it still didn’t even make a dent in it.

I have a similar problem. The algae looks the same as my problem. I treated mine with Cutrine plus granular the week before Easter. I just broadcast the granular on top of the algae bed. I have not been back to check on the results. It is safe for humans and fish except KOI.

I am hoping to check on it soon and hope to see that it did something.

Good Luck!! Keep us posted.

Waldo - will you post back your results please?? That was my next plan was to buy the granular stuff but I’ve read the granular isn’t meant for the floating weeds. Somebody on the internet has gotta be right though!

Copper sulfate (powder form). Fill up an old tube sock & dip in water near problem areas every 20-30'. The catch is... Do not treat more than 1/2 the pond at any given one time. This will prevent shock//overkill of your fish. The clarity of the water actually helps promote this growth. We fertilize our pond with liquid fertilizer for optimum of 18" visibility. This helps feed the microorganisms that the feeder fish rely on && also blocks sunlight/prevents moss growth. Good luck!

Also, hope your grass carp were sterile. If not.. you'll have a grass carp pond before you know it

That looks like blue green algae witch grass carp don't really eat. There are chemicals that will control it without harming the fish unless you kill too much at once and deplete the oxygen. Contact Zimco in Des Moines, they are a fert and chemical supplier for golf and sports turf, they should have something to take care of it.

I had what looks like the same stuff, but went to the river to shoot a few bigger grass carp in the tail or dorsal area to bring back. They cleaned it up pretty quick. Grass carp can’t produce in ponds
1a239c9acdf19969b22a0907ffb6c93c.jpg

7d7192f4b683304321df301846779a13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had deer in my pond eating the moss every night for over a month. Between them and the grass carp they have a long ways to go. But I'm hopeful. And agree grass carp don't spawn in a pond. Looks like you got some goodins there 6x6.

Reactions: 6x6
These 2 ponds are connected but there are 2 grass carp in the right one and none in the left, with a wire gate in the middle. Night and day difference
d41ff3c4d774341e2b8456d216c8a60f.jpg
00e92d3773893b1bc98eb987c6427ad2.jpg

I like to put a few Bigheads in as well. They are cool to watch feeding on the top with those giant mouths. I see this big sucker every day now, a month after the shot to the head.
3c21ffe381f54514157de766a8ec08c8.jpg

6fa458ffce85900c993dd1fd77e76dc4.jpg

I checked on my pond this weekend. I would say the algae was reduced by at least 50 %. Not sure if it just goes away by itself. I broadcasted the granular copper sulfate (cutrine plus) April 15th. I spread an entire bag 30lb. It did not affect the fish. I would say it did something.

good luck!

Glad you got results! I checked mine a few days ago and the problem remains. I’m not so sure mine is any better than had I done nothing. Mine next plan is Tsunami DQ since I know I put plenty of copper sulphate down the first time.

Top Bottom