Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Acn, century farm orchards, van well nursery & I graft some my own. Order em way in advance so get varieties u want & rootstock u want. Get a bulk order together (get buddies to add to it if needed) to Bring price way down.

Four years old and getting a good crop of apples. Last years crop was the first and light, putting them on this year. These are just ones in my yard and have been babied but can be done in remote locations as well. Weed control, proper pruning and crotch angle training and a couple fertilizer spikes each spring. Nothing crazy. Keeping crotch angles trained was the biggest pain but I feel helped set fruit sooner

Honeycrisp

190758968b0dae7220d43812ba43f192.jpg

8660bfa262519cb679c0711e962c6117.jpg

Crabapple of some sort

f7c5717ff25bc20438726d38d6277609.jpg

71c2b03abfedcc6fe8e7261c0fc2da7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan, any advice on the crotch angle training? I have a few pears and plums that need to start branching 'out' vs. straight up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jordan, any advice on the crotch angle training? I have a few pears and plums that need to start branching 'out' vs. straight up.

I don't have any experience with plum but I've got three pear trees. They all seem to grow straight up no matter what I did. They are SUPER aggressive growers. Like 5' a year on each branch. It is crazy. Sorry, I'm not much help there. They did not work the same as the apple trees above

PERFECTION!!!! Did u spray anything on them? Looks really nice!!!!!

Thanks Skip! I haven't but will soon, I've just got some fruit tree spray from a garden store that went out of business last year, I'll have to check what it is. I used to spray Sevin on these but don't any more since it's not friendly to bees.

Honeycrisp do well in Iowa?

I’m going to find out with the 2 Honeycrisp I planted December 25, 2019. They are doing good so far. I’ve heard there are better, more productive varieties to plant in Iowa. I’m interested in eating as well as wildlife food.

Side note ;) Another reason on no Sevin... used without something like malathion or a perythroid - it will often kill off all insects & leave an untouched mite infestation that goes bananas! If u use insecticides- just do a lot of reading & “what & why” it will be applied. Want to make sure not creating any more issues than needed.
Sevin’s generic name is carbaryl & is often used in most “general fruit tree sprays” with addition of malathion & captan.
Heck- on a small scale- insecticidal soaps will suffocate what’s on the tree. It’s much harder as u re-apply a lot but if it’s backyard trees u wanna eat- likely a good option. Just do some digging for proper pesticides & yes, bees appreciate it too.

Sevin is HIGHLY toxic to bees. I don’t spray the orchard, figure I can “cherry pick” the best fruit for personal consumption, let the livestock and wildlife have the blemished. Rare problem that kills the tree, spray or not.

This group takes the cake... “ Neonicotinoids”... colony collapse agent on bees. Here’s the real bummer of that insecticide class/group..... Imidacloprid being the main one we all come across whether we realize it or not.....

what’s pretty much the insecticide on EVERY SOYBEAN TREATMENT??? Imidacloprid. That’s on gazillions of acres across country & for insecticides & bees - that’s gotta be one of the top threats. The bummer or “walking a fine line”.... it’s actually a fantastic insecticide. If not for edibles... as long as it doesn’t go on something that is or will go into bloom- it’s pretty safe on bees. But it’s a delicate & risky one most should avoid.

Every pesticide really needs thought & research on each. They are great tools in some cases but clearly u wanna be safe for environment or if you’re going to be consuming these things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonicotinoid

lil spraying this am. Merivon & 2 “more bee friendly” insecticides & was super careful not to hit any flowers around it, etc. Looking good overall. New ones i planted look good. One location got put too close to timber several years ago (long story) but I opened up pretty well & those trees look pretty good & healthy. Need some weed control on these trees now.
52971544b603a013bec98dda7fa5442e.jpg

b51839c3f465aaeb4d4d8c14f7878c08.jpg

c38fe3c10bc2c1cf4c87c0f3a120fde2.jpg

81b9d5088c312015560499e81762181c.jpg
6d0b13736527fd0c266f3621aa3147bf.jpg
a372a961a097733a5b2e8e8f69ca21c6.jpg

See you have some of those monarch butterfly weeds. I have some also but rarely see any monarchs. I need to harvest some seed and sell them at the farmers market.

Did we have a late frost that I am forgetting about? My mature trees that were loaded last year have very little fruit this year.

Above^^. & ya- late frost for sure. Some varieties impacted more than others.
Ya- that butterfly milk weed or whatever it is- I do like it and my place was loaded. I was spraying some fairly mellow stuff but I kept away from those on purpose & snapped pics. Place is loaded with wild pollination varieties. Was timber & about 1 acre opening now with massive diversity.... all sorts of flowers, blackberries, forbs, u name it. I pulled out a few thistles but other than that- all good stuff & looks great. Really cool to see nature do its thing in this opening.

* Can’t be a person out there complaining bout drought this year ;).

Top Bottom