Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas and Winter Rye

MuddyHntr

I getting my brassica plots planted within the next few weeks here and wanted to try and broadcast some winter rye in there early September. Has anyone done this with success? Is there anything I should or shouldn't do? Also, what should the seed rate be per acre. I'm limited with the amount of areas I can plant and wanted to try and get the best late season plots I can. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I did it last year because the drought made the brassicas less than ideal. In a "normal" year, the brassicas are basically canopied by the time it would be planting time for rye.

Another option is to plant radishes and rye. Radishes can go in later than turnips. Planting both, together, in late August would be an option.

I run 8#/a on brassicas and 100#/a on rye.

Generally speaking, I dont recommend them together.

Don't Rye and Brassicas both harvest nitrogen ?? I planted some Rye with my Brassicas last year and didn't like the results. Things looked good about 14 days after seeding - by mid Sept the Rye was the only thing growing and the Brassicas never did fully develop. I won't make that mistake again.

Don't Rye and Brassicas both harvest nitrogen ?? I planted some Rye with my Brassicas last year and didn't like the results. Things looked good about 14 days after seeding - by mid Sept the Rye was the only thing growing and the Brassicas never did fully develop. I won't make that mistake again.
Were you in a drought area like the rest of us? My brassicas were crap last year. Rye can handle dry much better. Potential some allopathy going on too but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Top Bottom